What has actually quit on you in the field?

Erict

WKR
Rem 700 - Friend adjusted the trigger and shot it plenty without problems. Was with friend #2 when they spotted a shooter buck. Friend #1 got prone, finger off trigger, flicked the safety off and the gun went "BANG". Deer didn't move. Flicked safety on, racked in another round, got on target and held tight while friend #2 flicked the safety off and the gun went "BANG". Dead buck.

He took it to a gunsmith after that.

How does that even happen? And better yet how do you find a left hand model 70? When did they make them?
Bought new in 2004- the detent for the 3 position safety on the bottom of the latch wore out or the pin failed (don't know which), only that it fell apart and the assembly had to be replaced.

Recent one was a new hunter that flagged me with a loaded (it's safe) 06, mult times.
Vortex scopes that can't make it past range days(80% failure, from diamondback to razors, more of the old razors then any of them)
Front sight on marlin 336 in 44mag. Looked off in the tree stand, and slid when I touched it.

jhm2023

WKR
-Montana Rifle co. X3 failure to extract after shooting a moose. Chamber issue that didn't appear prior is the best I could figure. Terrible customer service.
-Leupold VX-3 lost zero causing me to miss a nice ram multiple times. Confirmed loss of zero after.
-Cooper M92 mag latch failure on sheep hunt causing mag to fall out after each shot.
-Leupold VX5HD lost zero after falling on it. I had enough sense to use my wife's rifle to take a ram after that fall. Confirmed zero loss when I got back home.
-Not while on a hunt, but a CVA muzzleloader, the iron sights max out on elevation adjustment while still being about a foot high at 100 yards.
-Marlin 1895 guide JM stamped had severe but intermittent feeding issues.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I've only ever had 2 firearms fail on me in any real way.

Way back when I was a kid, my Win 94 double fed or something and jammed up tight.

I've also had multiple issues with one of my 870s. Technically my son's but he doesn't hunt so I use it when I want a magnum. One day, when running the slide, the mag cap popped loose and the gun basically self-disassembled. Another time, the gun double fed and I had to break it down while ducks were flying everywhere

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Not me but my buddy had terrible luck with Remington '06 ammo not firing. The primer was struck deep but no bang. No issues with Federal. Missed a nice buck because of it. I saw it at the range too with the same lot of ammo.

Geewhiz

WKR
Antelope hunting with my brother, I was the spotter and my tripod head broke off my tripod. Really affected the outcome of that hunt. Was a crappy Walmart tripod that I’d had for 10 years or so. Have a better one now but very frustrating in the moment.

Also have a maven rangefinder that would not give me a range no matter how hard I tried. Wife just shot a cow elk and a nice buck showed himself around 3-400 yds. She was on him and ready to shoot but I could not get a range. I was so mad. Would have made that day even more unforgettable.

Way back when I was a kid, my Win 94 double fed or something and jammed up tight.

I've also had multiple issues with one of my 870s. Technically my son's but he doesn't hunt so I use it when I want a magnum. One day, when running the slide, the mag cap popped loose and the gun basically self-disassembled. Another time, the gun double fed and I had to break it down while ducks were flying everywhere
Man.. if I had a dollar for every time I short-shucked my first 870 (which was a 30" 1970s era wingmaster on a 5'8" kid weighing about 130) I probably would have made the switch to semis a hell of a lot faster..

Man.. if I had a dollar for every time I short-shucked my first 870 (which was a 30" 1970s era wingmaster on a 5'8" kid weighing about 130) I probably would have made the switch to semis a hell of a lot faster..

Is short-shucked the same as short stroked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
Is this thread for firearms failures, or all gear failures? “All gear” makes for a much longer list…

-had a M7oo factory trigger start to randomly fire. Trashed it and installed a Timney.

-my hunting buddy’s Kimber Montana trigger froze up. Wouldn’t catch the sear and cock. -40C temps for several days. Thawed/dried it out by the woodstove and it has been good for him since. (My Tikka was fine that trip, but we don’t talk about that. :D )

-we’ve had a few high mileage 870s develop extraction problems. Judicious polishing of the chamber cures that. For awhile. Mostly switched over to 590s now.

-Marlin 1894 44Mag developed the Marlin jamb. Would lock up tight and have to be disassembled. Sold it with full disclosure.

-got Leupold’d several times. Slow learner… only have a couple FX2 6x36 left, and they’re not on rifles that go far from the truck.

-between family and the few friends I hunt with, we’ve had a few Talley LWs crack. I don’t have any left in service.

Last edited:
User error but I lost a Pierce bolt on my 6.5 while hiking on a 3rd season Colorado deer hunt. Woulda hurt real bad had I come across a shooter that day! Came loose strapped on my backpack.

@khart_6882 Yes, it's the same. Not sure where I picked that up. Mixed vernacular.

didnt mean to hijack the thread. Some direct answers:
-katadyn hiker pro handle broke off in my hand... it was way gunked, but I wasn't expecting to hulk it in half
-busted a brand new leki trekking pole between two rocks (back when they only had aluminum)
- so many shoelaces at the worst times
- the bottom knot on my d-loop came undone when I went to draw on a 3pt mulie. Luckily it was right at the bottom of the draw cycle. Not so lucky was being at the top part of the canyon that took all morning to pick through without a weapon

I still have heartache over that d-loop

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I've run tens of thousands of rounds through my old Wingmaster. It has worked without a problem.

When my son turned 13, I bought him an 870. It is the one that malfunctioned twice. He stopped hunting, so I use his when I want a 3" chamber as my old gun is 2 3/4" only. The action feels like it's full of sand.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
There is such a thing as Karma. Was hunting with an outfit in Wyoming and was teamed up with another hunter and his spoiled daughter due to weather. I was not in as good a shape as them and they made the most of letting me know. As the days passed verbal harassment got worse. Finally as my hunt was coming to an end I shot a mule deer on the smallish side.

My nemesis jumped up shouting "finally" as my deer went down. However, he forgot to hold onto a very nice 300 Weatherby rifle and it flew off his shoulder into a rock pile breaking the stock completly in to at the pistol grip. I'll never forget the look on their faces, shock and surprise. He spent two days searching for a replacement before settling to use the guides 7mm. I'm not a vindictive person but I do believe in karma.

Had a nikon scope fog up on a bear hunt in Canada. Fortunately had a spare rifle

Once had a nice buck in front of me as I was walking to the truck. Cartridge would not chamber. Love hunting!

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider

If you work the lever on a model 94 and the action is canted too far, this will happen more often than not. Something to do with the way they feed.