What if onX...

ODB

WKR
Is harvesting waypoints, selling them to guides/pre-guide services who then sell them to clients or go survey the spots themselves for guiding services?

Thought just crossed my mind when I dropped a waypoint....

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about that before.... if that's the case they will be very confused why they are looking for moose and a waterfall in the middle of the AZ desert. Seriously though go through and ready the terms of service, that will tell you everything you need to know!

I hope they’re getting rich because I drop dozens and dozens and dozens of points looking at topo and satellite scouting and the large majority of them are of nothing at all.

That’s a good business model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
At 10% success rate thats alot of garbage locations to sift thru to find something worth while.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Haha. That’s silly.

OnX seems to work really hard to be valuable members of the hunting community. I doubt they would risk their reputation to sell a few way points to guides.

There would be a fairly good market to sell your information to state governments. I imagine they’ve tapped into that revenue source.

Interesting. I bet a lot of people label waypoints as kill sites or big bull spotted. Employees probably could data mine some good info.

22lr

WKR
It makes you wonder how useful some better crowd sourcing features would be. It works for alot of applications, I just think the hunting/fishing crowd isnt the best application. But for the offroading and trails applications...

Rich M

WKR
Very legit concern. Folks do stuff like that with offshore fishing spots all the time. Someone brings his boat in for a service and someone copies all his numbers off his electronics, then uses or sells em.

The overall volume of points would be overwhelming for sure.

Brendan

WKR
There are engineers at OnX, Gaia, BaseMap, Huntstand that have access to everything. But think about the repercussions for them: At least for OnX, BaseMap, Huntstand where they rely on hunters who are secretive about their honey holes - if it got out that they were using or checking out people's spots inappropriately, it'd bankrupt the company. 100% not worth it for them.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
There are engineers at OnX, Gaia, BaseMap, Huntstand that have access to everything. But think about the repercussions for them: At least for OnX, BaseMap, Huntstand where they rely on hunters who are secretive about their honey holes - if it got out that they were using or checking out people's spots inappropriately, it'd bankrupt the company. 100% not worth it for them.

Not to mention the sheer amount of data dump. How do you sift through the good points dropped by good hunters and the crap points. If way points is anything like game cam placement I have confidence over half the hunters have no idea where to be. So at least half the data points are garbage. Seems like alot of trash to wade through.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
The average hunter's waypoints probably aren't worth anything. Although I do recall hearing some well known hunters say they have a separate email and fake info they use just for onx, but in the context of the conversation I think it was to avoid being hacked and getting their waypoints stolen, nothing to do with OnX stealing stuff.