What is Acceptable Precision for Practicing?

ThatDUDE

WKR
So I have recently picked up a 6 ARC. My 10 round group with factor 108 ELDM’s was 1.1 MOA so I am confident in using them for hunting.

My 10 shot group with the 105 Hornady black was 1.9 MOA. I am going to try another 10 round group to see if I get similar results.

Will a 2 MOA 10 round average group size be detrimental to practicing and building my skills?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So I have recently picked up a 6 ARC. My 10 round group with factor 108 ELDM’s was 1.1 MOA so I am confident in using them for hunting.

My 10 shot group with the 105 Hornady black was 1.9 MOA. I am going to try another 10 round group to see if I get similar results.

Will a 2 MOA 10 round average group size be detrimental to practicing and building my skills?

No. Not at all.

OP
ThatDUDE

ThatDUDE

WKR
Thanks for the quick responses. I will stop worrying about it and start shooting more. Thank you guys.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Most of your shots will be inside the 1.2 moa size. So, on paper no. Using 3 or 4 moa steel targets, , so you will have some shots that miss the plate because of wind or something.

And, its a brand new rifle so it may change a little.

I have a couple Howa and a friend has several that I have helped put scopes on and get doped. Howa are usually very good shooters. Maybe you have a lemon, but I doubt it. There may be something else going on.

My experience with Howa is that you should loosen the action screws and then retorque. Tighten the front screw just until you feel it draw the action tight, but not too firm. Seat the recoil lug against the stock. Then do the same with the rear one till it is firm. Give the front one a couple turns, then the rear one. Repeat that. Then, torque the front one down to 50-60 then the rear one that same.

The action screw is in the recoil lug, so if the front screw gets tightened too much before the actions is seated flat, it can cause tension in the rifle. I had a Howa I knew could shoot better, but it went to 2.5 moa out of the bag at a range trip. I pulled the stock and retightened it and it went back under 1 moa.