What is your equipment upgrade strategy?

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I upgrade when I find a good deal a lot of the time as long as I can afford it or when I can wheel and deal for something better. I’m super picky about my deals though. Like my spotter for example. I started with no spotter, bought a vortex Diamondback hd 16-48 for 125. I traded for a 20-60x85. I sold that for 300 and bought a gen 1 viper that ended up being busted so I got the new viper for free through warranty. I sold that for 700 and bought a gen 1 razor for 550. Lasted me a couple years before it had issues and I ended up with the new razor. Next upgrade will be for a swaro Ats, but essentially I got a brand new razor for free.
Dang man, you’re like a swap meet savant 😎

My boots are Meindl Perfekt hikers. I took good care of them but the soles are pretty
much gone now! Lol I didnt use them for everything though so that helped a lot. I wear a lot of Keen hiking boots for everyday wear and work so used those a lot for just a quick hike, camping, or day scouting trip when I didn’t have too much hiking. I used my hunting boots a lot for other things as well. I just used them on a late cow hunt for my son with 8” of snow on the ground and they still did great but the sole is separating from boot now. Dang it!

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
If it breaks or wears out I'll oooooooooh! Shiny!
Lot more shiny things these days, I don’t think I’ve ever seen hunting specific gear with this good of a selection across the board from packs to clothes to boots to tents. Ever. Makes it easy to chase the latest and greatest. I think the only thing I’ve broken in the last two years are tent stakes and a hiking pole.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
The great thing about the internets is that the collective audience comes from every aspect of life, to include financial; I have no doubt this forum covers the full spectrum.

As a family guy, I only do one aspect a year and use the bulk of my limited hunting budget for tags, trip costs, and bullets to shoot every week. This last year I scored two tags, upgraded my sleep system to a lighter and more comfortable setup, and left the rest for dedicated weekly shooting practice. This year I’m shooting for two tags again, scored rain gear during the end of year blow outs, and should be able to increase my shooting slightly.

So what is your approach to upgrading your equipment?

- Drop the big bucks every few years for a complete upgrade?
- Piecemeal certain aspects every year?
- Only upgrade when something fails or a new proven technology can replace an older technology?
As a family guy, I only upgrade when something fails or a new technology proves its replacing an older option.
That said, Ive been at this for years and have everything I need. I wear my stuff out so I don't understand upgrading every year or so, if somethings working for me I don't change it. When it wears out, I buy the same thing.

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I only buy used or discounted items. Can't think of anything I have purchased full retail in years. Usually I can get gear around 50% off if I shop around a bit on sales or classifieds.
Do you have a hierarchy of what you’re looking for year to year?

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
As a family guy, I only upgrade when something fails or a new technology proves its replacing an older option.
That said, Ive been at this for years and have everything I need. I wear my stuff out so I don't understand upgrading every year or so, if somethings working for me I don't change it.
Outside of firearms (longer) and certain clothing items (shorter), I usually look to get 4-6 years of service before the wheels start coming off in general.
When it wears out, I buy the same thing.
What’s the longest same-model piece of gear you have right now, if you don’t mind me asking.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Lot more shiny things these days, I don’t think I’ve ever seen hunting specific gear with this good of a selection across the board from packs to clothes to boots to tents. Ever. Makes it easy to chase the latest and greatest. I think the only thing I’ve broken in the last two years are tent stakes and a hiking pole.
This is true, especially in clothing. Some interesting hunting lore with the advent of legit modern hunting clothing and gear being a more recent trend...
Not that long ago hunting clothing was designed mostly for stand hunters from generic sizes typically used in the fashion industry. I dare say most hunting clothing was for non athletic persons and heavy as if hunters never knew to layer for warmth. Rain gear was a joke.
Jason Hairston changed all that in the early 2000s when he started Sitka clothing and then moved that energy to starting Kuiu with the intent to combine mountaineering technologies into hunting clothing and gear. The hiking and mountaineering community has been perfecting clothing technology for years. Hairston was both a big game hunter and mountaineer so my guess is I can only imagine his frustration with hunting clothing... it was long overdue but here we are.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say focus on the things you need first. Weapon, shelter, pack, etc. and POINTS. Once you’re off and running in points, you can start tweaking the gear you have and developing your gear addiction like the rest of us.

One thing that was super helpful for me is that I’m not a hoarder so if I’m upgrading something I’m likely selling something else. Use the classified’s on the forum to offload gear.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Outside of firearms (longer) and certain clothing items (shorter), I usually look to get 4-6 years of service before the wheels start coming off in general.

What’s the longest same-model piece of gear you have right now, if you don’t mind me asking.
I get the same as you, about 4-6yrs of service before things start wearing out. In 2022 I replaced my boots that lasted me about 5 years (Zamberlans), I bought the same boot (and my old ones are still used on dryer days to lengthen the wear on the new ones). Last season I replaced my 7ish(?) yr old rain jacket, with the same one (Patagonia) its UL and keeps me dry (Im in the PNW so..). In current use, my Kuiu ProLT4000 pack has been solid now for 3 years and I abuse that. Same age for my Kuiu Attack pants, I have some Sitka softshell pants that are about 10 years old and still wear them but those Kuiu's became my favorite. I haven't really thought about it till you asked but 4-6yrs sounds right for clothing and some gear. Camp setup might be longer...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If there is a deal I can't pass up I buy it. Cabelas taking extra 10% off Rifles cost me 2 rifles. Cabelas 15% off everything else plus Rakuten 10% cash back plus Leupold taking $200 off cost me a new VX5.
The list goes on and on and on
Lol, that’s me. I have saved SOOOO much money, how am I so broke!!!

If I ever see a way to save a pound for under or near $150 without giving up any other functionality that’s pretty much an immediate buy. Same ratio would apply to ounces. I like to hunt light fast and hard so I try to stay as light as possible but I still find it hard to stay under 30 pounds when heading out prepared for a long day rifle hunting. Empty pack, water, and rifle kill you in the base weight. I spend money on dumb shit usually then realize I didn’t even need that thing and it sits in a bin. I find the best thing to do is to often go through your pack and consider if you really need things. For clothes I can get by in a lot of serious weather with just a quarter zip, lightweight puffy, and lightweight rain shell. The only places I’m not looking to save weight are my pack(Stone glacier Sky 5900) and my rifle(9lbs) because they are just essential pieces of gear that I need to perform no matter what.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
I do most of my purchases during the holiday sales when it comes to hunting clothes, boots, or packs. Not yearly but when things break or are worn out. Buying quality products usually lasts longer so that helps from having to buy yearly.

Reloading/shooting stuff I am constantly buying throughout the year but more so when there is free shipping or free hazmat and in bulk only.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
If I ever see a way to save a pound for under or near $150 without giving up any other functionality that’s pretty much an immediate buy. Same ratio would apply to ounces. I like to hunt light fast and hard so I try to stay as light as possible but I still find it hard to stay under 30 pounds when heading out prepared for a long day rifle hunting.
Same, its odd that I can go UL backpacking for 3 days with around 25lbs pack but even a day hunt my pack gets up near 30lbs sometimes. Ive attributed it to the hunting season in the fall has the risk of incremental weather and I often hunt solo off trail so I need stuff in case I cant pack it out that day.

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say focus on the things you need first. Weapon, shelter, pack, etc. and POINTS. Once you’re off and running in points, you can start tweaking the gear you have and developing your gear addiction like the rest of us.

One thing that was super helpful for me is that I’m not a hoarder so if I’m upgrading something I’m likely selling something else. Use the classified’s on the forum to offload gear.
My baseline kit is solid, but it seems like every year one of the key items is due for a lifecycle so to speak. At this point it’s almost like a predictable schedule of maintenance purchases. I was just curious what everyone else does or what their approach is.

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Camp setup might be longer...
This seems to be the longest service life out of anything we buy, the only times I’ve purchased with working gear in my storage bins is if so needed something larger to accommodate more people. I still have a Coleman dual burner from 20 years ago that works like a champ.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
My baseline kit is solid, but it seems like every year one of the key items is due for a lifecycle so to speak. At this point it’s almost like a predictable schedule of maintenance purchases. I was just curious what everyone else does or what their approach is.

What’s worked well for me is that I separate my gear into 2 or 3 different categories and rotate them for upgrades every year. Like this year I upgraded a lot of my clothing. Last year I focused on optics. Next year will be weapon system focused. It’s gotten difficult because once I got to a certain point everything works pretty damn well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
northernalpine

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
The only places I’m not looking to save weight are my pack(Stone glacier Sky 5900) and my rifle(9lbs) because they are just essential pieces of gear that I need to perform no matter what.
Agreed. I don’t mind the weight of my Exo and it carries weight like a champ. This is a perfect example - how long did you have your previous pack for and how many seasons do you have on your 5900?