What is your favorite hunting dog and why ?

My personal favorite hunting dog is the German Shorthaired Pointer. They are the most versatile breed in my opinion their style and grace are topped by none in my opinion. The only con I could ever complain about is the hyper fits of non stop energy. I operate a small kennel in Illinois and have a great success. I breed for results not $. The dog below is Rooster my male. Check out our facebook @spoonrivershorthairs

IMG_0026.png

male. IMG_4467 (002).jpg

cIMG_2729.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0065.png
    IMG_0065.png
    668.2 KB · Views: 123

Conroy

WKR
I have always loved Coonhounds. I have had Blueticks, Plotts, Black and Tans, Redbones and Walkers. Treeing Walkers were my favorite as the last 2 were excellent pets as well as hunters. If you have ever heard a good dog strike a track and end at the tree, you would understand why I loved them. Nothing like the sound of a hound chopping at the tree. Unfortunately it has gotten to a point where it is hard to find open land here to run the dogs without them ending up on private property somewhere. I haven't had one in almost 10 years

I prefer the deutch drahthaar!! In my opinion best all around dog any one could ask for. Great family dog, Literally can be trained for any hunting situation even cold and wet. Where the GSP fall short in my opinion, the GSP just isnt much of a duck dog. Do people use gsp for ducks..yes.. But really shouldnt. In Germany the drahthaar is the most bread hunting dog for a reason!

Last edited:
Pointing lab..
All I had to do with the two I owned was teach them their names and to come when called. Everything else was hardwired in. It makes the owner part simple and limits the possibility of screwing them up...

mcr-85

WKR
I had labs for a long time. I used to love to go duck hunting and there's nothing quite like hunting roosters. Both were supposed to be pointing labs. My chocolate would point, my black never did. We didn't hunt enough upland game. My labs got old, I got married, got a little boy and I didn't hunt many ducks after that. I loved my labs, they were good dogs.

I have dogs that go trapping with me and I'm planning on using them for decoying coyotes. I had a little success with my female decoying last year. My female is a kemmer leopard cur cross. My dad has a male airedale jack russell cross. I have 2 male dogs from a litter from my female and my dads male that are almost a year old. They are good dogs and fun for what I do now.

This is my female, Sophie. My oldest boy lays claim to her.
MVIMG_20190105_164612-01.jpeg

This is my dad's dog, Gus.
gus1.jpg

These are my pups. Gator is the blue leopard one and Uno is the tan leopard.
IMG_20190417_205237.jpgIMG_20190502_194049.jpg
IMG_20191106_165454.jpgIMG_20191124_112509-01.jpeg

BigWoods

WKR
Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel
IMG_20191106_103551.jpg
IMG_20171027_152921421_HDR.jpg
Compact, fast dog that hits well above its weight. Well trained, they work close and give plenty of clues that a bird is about to launch.
They are great with kids and since he's less than 30lbs, my wife doesn't mind him in the house (and even on the couch).

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Oh that is a tough question!! I can and do appreciate every working dog...from the style of an English pointer with a covey of quail pinned down, to the loyalty and drive of a well bred lab, to the tenacity of the hounds when trailing game, and the courage of the police and protection dogs. I don't have much experience with hounds, but have trained and hunted over English pointers and setters, GSP (field trial and true versatile German imports), golden retrievers, wirehair pointer, Brittanies, and labs. For me the versatile breeds are good at a bunch of tasks, but not true experts of any one specific type. And the specialized pointers and retrievers are great at a specific trait and lacking in some other aspects of the hunt.

That's just a long winded way of saying that I don't have a favorite breed, and appreciate any and all quality working dogs

The best pheasant dog I ever had the pleasure of hunting over was a little GSP bitch. That little girl was simply amazing on late season birds. I read somewhere that a man is truly lucky if he gets one really good bird dog in his life.... I tend to agree with that sentiment.

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
Cool pics 85! I have 3 labs. Tough to beat them for all around hunting situations. Here in SD they pound the cattails to flush and find pheasants and also retrieve a couple hundred Canada geese/ducks each season on land and water. They made a couple rabbit retrieves this year as well. A well bred lab is as good as it gets. I just wish they weren't so popular. Obviously deservedly so. However I like all sporting breeds.

WCB

WKR
Grew up with Springers...never had one quit and they were always fun to watch work. They would hunt in 90+degree heat down to single digits without a problem. Great family dogs.

Currently have French Britts. Not as well suited to cold is the main down fall. Great house/family dogs but lots of energy. Hunt everything from Grouse and Woodcock to snow geese with them and the actually do great early season water retrieving ducks.

I think most dogs are as versatile as what you expose them to and use them for.

35a0a3def89ab0d66ed9f7a0aa6a97c8.jpg

I love my little red Plott. I think he would run a bear until his heart exploded. Here he was too tired to stand by the time we shot this one so he just barked from the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm partial to labs. Mine was bred a pointing lab but doesn't point, mainly my fault. Just didn't have the time and resources to get her consistent bird exposure. She's still bird crazy though, waterfowl or upland. Her temperament around the house can't be beat. Had 3 toddlers lay on her this past weekend while she napped and barely opened an eye.