What makes an expert hunter?

DavePwns

WKR
My question is simple. In your opinion, what makes an expert hunter?

Is it number of animals taken? Is it hours in the field? Consistently harvesting trophy animals? Hunting with 3 kids and still getting the job done with a trad bow? The list goes on and on. I am curious as to what you would classify someone as an expert hunter.

FURMAN

WKR
There are many different reasons people hunt and maybe more views on what makes a hunt a quality hunt. Personally I look up to the hunters killing B&C animals regularly. I think it is very difficult to kill large animals of all species on a regular basis. Most hunters killing top quality animals are focused on one species. Others filling every tag are mostly shooting less quality animals. I don't see myself ever being a guy that fills every, or close to every, tag because I am looking for the biggest animal I feel the unit holds and I am willing to eat tags. I think the most important part of hunting is being honest with yourself and doing what you enjoy.

JP100

WKR
you cant 'measure' a hunter I dont think.
I am a guide and guide people from all over the world, many of them are great hunters, but for very different reasons and skills.

I have worked with some great hunters/guides, some of them have never even shot the game they hunt for a living.
Some of the best hunters I know care little for heads/scores, but seek other challenges

One of the things I like best about the 'sport' of hunting is there is not a hunting world cup, there is no 'best' hunter.

ohoopee

WKR
Knowledge, experience and being able to combine the two
in many different scenarios or situations.

muddydogs

WKR
An expert hunter is one that keeps meat in the freezer to feed the family, makes ethical kills whether shooting a doe / cow or the buck / bull of a lifetime and doesn't fill the need to justify shooting a small buck, bull, or doe, cow to put meat in the freezer.

If the first thing you do after shooting an animal is check your phone for service to see if you can post pics then wounder if the animal is big enough to post pics then you will never be an expert hunter. If you walk around thinking your an expert hunter you're probably not.

muddydogs

WKR
Now if your looking for info on how to become an expert hunter instead of what would give you the title of expert hunter I would say time in the field. No video, podcast or book is ever going to replace time on the ground chasing the animal of choice learning there habits and learning from your failures.

cnelk

WKR
Expert Hunter = Watches YouTube hunting videos, listens to Podcasts, has a flat brimmed hat and drives a new, lifted 4wd truck, gets a new bow/gun every year, buys new Sitka/FL/Kuiu gear every year, has 10,000+ followers on Instagram :)

CorbLand

WKR
I generally see "expert hunters" as the late 30's into early 40's type, makes a little bit to much money, spends a little to much time at the gym and has a wife that still thinks shes a teenager. They will generally tell you how much time they spend hunting, their $4000 rifle and that they have been watching 180" inch deer, you know not big deer but decent sized ones. In other words, hit up the Mossback booth at the hunt expo in Salt Lake. They are a dime a dozen there.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
No such thing imo. But there are plenty that think they hold that title.
Why no such thing? If there are good hunters and bad hunters, why can't there be experts in the mix? For an example I'd say Robby Denning is an expert mule deer hunter because of his consistency, adaptability, creativity, knowledge, and experience.

Btaylor

WKR
Why no such thing? If there are good hunters and bad hunters, why can't there be experts in the mix? For an example I'd say Robby Denning is an expert mule deer hunter because of his consistency, adaptability, creativity, knowledge, and experience.

You changed the equation and added "mule deer" to hunting. Robby's track record speaks for itself as far as mule deer go but how good is he on turkey's, ducks, geese, rabbits, bullfrogs, etc. There are so many directions people can take their hunting and so many different animals there is no way to accurately qualify "expert" status. Is the guy that only kills big bucks more of an expert than the guys that kills more deer than EHD?

I think it is more beneficial to recognize the hunters who are highly skilled at their core pursuit and learn from them. Guys like Robby can make a big difference in other hunters success rates but being a household name is not pre-requisite to someone being worthy of paying attention too.

rayporter

WKR
I say there is no such thing because it is a journey---not a destination that you have reached.

and if you have to tell me........................

Clarktar

WKR
Spending all your money on gear, and time on hunting forums. That is how you get the expert status.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Before I retired I was always told an "expert" is someone with a briefcase and is more than 50 miles from home. Take that and apply something similar to being an "expert hunter" and it could be:

Someone with a gun and is more than 100 miles from home.

ClearCreek