What puffy are you guys using?

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mountain hardware ghost whisperer and I snagged a huk double down for $60. I prefer the mh but the huk is great for the price.

darren820

FNG
Ive been happy with my First Lite Unpronounceable. Really thinking about trying the LPP for late season stuff this season.

MH ghost whisperer here. It’s thin and does a good job. I gave it a test at -20c a few weeks back and was definately pushing it. For what I do it does the job well and packs up like a ghost in your bag

Sturgeon

WKR
I would check make sure to check the shell material. I was running a Patagonia down sweater for a while, and although being very warm it was developing holes like crazy due to which I attribute to it being 20D poly. I replaced it with a Sierra Designs that uses 40D poly so I'm hoping it holds up a lot better. I've also had a Marmot Solaris for a long time that is only a 15D Nylon, but the thing has been crazy durable. I think nylon has more stretch and abrasion resistance, but I am not an expert.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
How does one measure warmness of down? I read somewhere people were saying the FL Chamberlain wasn't "warm" for whatever it was rated at.

That’s a great question. You need multiple variables that some companies don’t provide.

The main ones being Fill Power e.g. 850 fill power. Also you need overall fill weight, usually in ounces, this is the total amount of down used. Then you multiply the two together, the higher the number the warmer the jacket.

For example: the first lite chamberlin uses 11 ounces of down that is 800 FP.

11 x 800 = 8800

Now let’s look at the kuiu ultra down hoody

2.3 oz of 850 FP down

2.3 x 850 = 1955

So the chamberlin is $60 more but 4.5x warmer (8800/1955= 4.5)

Looking at the kuiu superdown pro

5 oz of 850 fp = 4250

8800/4250 = 2.

So the chamberlin is 2x warmer at $40 cheaper.

Then to take it even further you look at baffle design. Sewn through baffles are the most common because they save weight and are easier to manufacture. However, boxed baffles are much warmer though heavier and usually more expensive. The chamberlin uses boxed baffles so it will be more than 2x warmer than the kuiu SD pro.

If you’re looking for a warm jacket outside of hunting companies look at feather friends, rab, and my personal favorite Montbell (the permafrost is the warmest jacket I’ve found)

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm rethinking my puffy situation. I have the Patagonia Nano Air, which is basically the same thing as the Kuiu Kenai. I've worn it pretty heavily for two or three years now and feel like the insulation may have lost some performance. Definitely it needs another DWR treatment. I may buy another, hooded, if I can find a deal.

I also have a Cloudveil Endless down, which is your pretty standard down puffy, I'd guess 5 to 6 oz of 700 fill down, about 16oz. Pretty warm. I run this when it's colder. But feel like I'd like to add a hood, get to treated down of a higher FP.

For early season backcountry hunts with good weather forecast I've just run the Nano Air, and didn't even pack a rain jacket. Did that for a combined 20'ish nights in Colorado archery season with no regrets. But now I'm planning hunts in the Brooks Range of AK for 2021 and 2023 and would like to make smart purchases keeping those in mind.

Things I'm thinking about:
warmth, and warmth to weight ratio
ability to survive moisture
durability of insulating properties
ability to sleep in

Based on that I'm looking for something with the following specs. I'm kinda equating Aug/Sept Brooks Range to a 2nd season Colorado rockies kind of environment. I'd add a good rain shell for sure (I have the old version of the Sitka Dewpoint).

6-8 oz of treated down, 800+ FP
box baffles
lightweight lining, 20D or lighter

Based on that I'd spring for the Montbell Mirage Parka except the down isn't treated. I kinda like the new Stone Glacier but no box baffles. Does anyone make something like that for $400 or less?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Gerry someone mentioned above. Great Jacket for the cost and weight. I also use a Sitka down hoody in Ground Forest, Also own the Unprenouncable puffy from Firstlight. All great jackets. For the extreme cold the Sitka is the best its heavier then the rest but it is super warm.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eddie Bauer downlight w/hood. It has more fill than their microtherm. For most applications it’s warm. Straight up winter and extremely wet conditions are not its strong suits. If you combine a puffy pant and hard shell with it you can be out for several hours in single digits, short period just below zero.

No idea what material it is, 20d? But has done well. Kinda heavy at 18oz. 800 treated down educated guess of 3.5-4 oz of fill quantity.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm rethinking my puffy situation. I have the Patagonia Nano Air, which is basically the same thing as the Kuiu Kenai. I've worn it pretty heavily for two or three years now and feel like the insulation may have lost some performance. Definitely it needs another DWR treatment. I may buy another, hooded, if I can find a deal.

I also have a Cloudveil Endless down, which is your pretty standard down puffy, I'd guess 5 to 6 oz of 700 fill down, about 16oz. Pretty warm. I run this when it's colder. But feel like I'd like to add a hood, get to treated down of a higher FP.

For early season backcountry hunts with good weather forecast I've just run the Nano Air, and didn't even pack a rain jacket. Did that for a combined 20'ish nights in Colorado archery season with no regrets. But now I'm planning hunts in the Brooks Range of AK for 2021 and 2023 and would like to make smart purchases keeping those in mind.

Things I'm thinking about:
warmth, and warmth to weight ratio
ability to survive moisture
durability of insulating properties
ability to sleep in

Based on that I'm looking for something with the following specs. I'm kinda equating Aug/Sept Brooks Range to a 2nd season Colorado rockies kind of environment. I'd add a good rain shell for sure (I have the old version of the Sitka Dewpoint).

6-8 oz of treated down, 800+ FP
box baffles
lightweight lining, 20D or lighter

Based on that I'd spring for the Montbell Mirage Parka except the down isn't treated. I kinda like the new Stone Glacier but no box baffles. Does anyone make something like that for $400 or less?
https://nunatakusa.com/skaha-ultral...most_breathable/hood_or_collar-insulated_inte

Take a look at that one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use the Simms Downstream hooded jacket with primaloft gold insulation. Crazy warm but in no way rugged. It's always under a Sitka shell unless I'm sitting/glassing. Also have a Cabela's puffy, no hood, for chores and not-so-cold days and it works great.
Is the Cabela's puffy durable? Can I walk through the woods with it? I'm considering getting that one for my first Colorado elk hunt 4th season.

Mt Al

WKR
Is the Cabela's puffy durable? Can I walk through the woods with it? I'm considering getting that one for my first Colorado elk hunt 4th season.

Not really. The outer fabric on most puffy jackets is very light, not intended to be a rugged outer garment. My Cabelas has a few iron on patches, was worried that the iron would melt through the light outer fabric, but got it done. I wear mine as an outer most jacket/walking when there aren't branches to catch on or glassing. Otherwise, it's under a shell.