What should I build?

Feeling a bit bored this off-season. Looking to build something. It is going to be on a Defiance or Zermatt action. Not stuck on chambering either.

I have the following covered (yes, I know I can do pretty much everything with what I have, but I am a looney).

ARs - .223, 300BO, 6X45, and 6.8SPC
6.5 Grendel (Encore and Ruger American)
.308 (Encore)
7-08AI (Tikka build)
260 Rem (Remage build)
7TCU (Remage build)
6.5-06 (Savage build)
7mm Rem Mag (Tikka factory)
7X57 (Yugo Mauser build)
.243 (Ruger American)
7-30 Waters, .223, 7TCU, and 30-30 (Encores and Contenders)

I am primarily a hunter. I don't shoot PRS or other competitions.

Just looking for input.

B23

WKR
The two areas you appear to have gaps is a hot rod 22 cal and bigger 30 cal. So maybe a 22-250 or 22 Creedmore, or a 300WSM, 300 Win mag, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC.

A lot of will depend on what it is you want to do with this particular build.

I see a lack of big bores! 505 Gibbs should cover that 😆

Or go small- 204 Ruger, or 17 Rem

But as mentioned, if going with a custom action might as well go for long range accuracy and jump into a big 30 cal or 338

Last edited:
Yep, a magnum for sure. I'm in the middle of building a 300 Norma on a Defiance AntiX. Very excited about it, got the fever for the big cannons now!

Flyjunky

WKR
It's tough without knowing what you plan on hunting and how you hunt but I would do something bigger like a 300NMI, 300 Lapua Improved, or 300 Terminator.

OP
H
Thanks you for all the ideas.

I have been shying away from the big magnums because the 7Mag will kill anything I plan on hunting. That beings said, a 300WSM does sound intriguing.

A .35 is also something that sounds good, but I would have to find a suppressor for it. Forgot to add that to my initial post. This gun will be suppressed unless I am hunting in Canada.

As for how and what I hunt, all of my current hunting is in North America. Mostly Eastern US for deer, bear, birds, pigs, and small game/varmints. I have been on one elk hunt and one moose hunt, but I was not the hunter, just the helper (both Eastern hunts). I am in the position now where I can take time and have the finances to hunt out West and up north for those animals I haven’t hunted before, so over the next few years, elk, moose, mule deer, pronghorn and others are on the agenda.