What UL hammock tent?

I’m considering making the switch from ground to hammock this year for my Colorado archery elk hunt. What Ultralight hammock systems is everyone running? My main concerns are still being able to keep my gear and equipment dry.
As of now; I have the Kammok mantis UL, with gear loft, at the top of my list.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
I can't really offer models and I'm not a hammock camper, but for a season I used an UL hammock for"lunch resting" when I was culling deer.

It was cold without a sleeping mat, but much better than lying on the ground.
Shoulders got squeezed together, not something I could sleep in.
An oversized tarp made life easier in terms of actually keeping stuff dry.

My hammock was yellow ("easier to see in dark") and that colour was a magnet for flying bugs...
Eventually the thin fabric ripped and thankfully I was not far off ground.

Foster_65

FNG
i have been running a hammock for early elk the last few seasons as well as early season mule deer. i have taken it to temps in the high teens and sustained some pretty good storms (wind, rain and snow). im a side sleeper and love a hammock vs ground. have two home made hammocks of 1.6 hexon using amsteel for suspension from dutchware as well as a home made tarp of 1.1 silpoly also sourced from dutchware. the tarp was fashioned off of warbonnet thunderfly. looking back woulda been easier and cost effective to purchase the tarp. all of this is pretty light weight, its the bag/quilts that get heavy. i run a 5* top quilt and a modular underquilt that i snap together for colder weather. i unsnap them for warm weather. i cant imagine using a sleeping pad in a hammock. it may work well for someone that doesnt move when sleeping, but that aint me. all in all my setup isnt any lighter than a ground setup but it sure makes camp selections easy in the the mountains.

OP
P
i have been running a hammock for early elk the last few seasons as well as early season mule deer. i have taken it to temps in the high teens and sustained some pretty good storms (wind, rain and snow). im a side sleeper and love a hammock vs ground. have two home made hammocks of 1.6 hexon using amsteel for suspension from dutchware as well as a home made tarp of 1.1 silpoly also sourced from dutchware. the tarp was fashioned off of warbonnet thunderfly. looking back woulda been easier and cost effective to purchase the tarp. all of this is pretty light weight, its the bag/quilts that get heavy. i run a 5* top quilt and a modular underquilt that i snap together for colder weather. i unsnap them for warm weather. i cant imagine using a sleeping pad in a hammock. it may work well for someone that doesnt move when sleeping, but that aint me. all in all my setup isnt any lighter than a ground setup but it sure makes camp selections easy in the the mountains.

Thanks for the rundown! I appreciate it.

Foster_65

FNG
i should also add that hammocks care fiddley, especially until you know what you like. also it does take some getting used to, but once its dialed in, its pretty nice. i felt the shoulder squeeze for awhile and now dont even notice it. different hammock material seemed to solve that for me. anything you will ever need to know about hammocks is on hammockforums. great for any source of hammock info

OP
P
i should also add that hammocks care fiddley, especially until you know what you like. also it does take some getting used to, but once its dialed in, its pretty nice. i felt the shoulder squeeze for awhile and now dont even notice it. different hammock material seemed to solve that for me. anything you will ever need to know about hammocks is on hammockforums. great for any source of hammock info

Thanks! I think I’m going to start off with the Kammok and build on it and tweak it to my liking. It seems like a good starting point, especially for someone that isn’t sure what their likes and dislikes are yet.

rayporter

WKR
hammocks are just different. my bud could back into his Hennesy and be asleep before the Velcro closed. he used a pair of wally world self-inflatables for insulation. rain wind snow did not faze him. he would be in the tipi in the morning after i fired up the stove and made some breakfast ready to go.

when he passed on i got the hammock and tried to sleep in it. i took some serious sleep dope and was crawling into the tipi at 1 am to get a nap.

OP
P
hammocks are just different. my bud could back into his Hennesy and be asleep before the Velcro closed. he used a pair of wally world self-inflatables for insulation. rain wind snow did not faze him. he would be in the tipi in the morning after i fired up the stove and made some breakfast ready to go.

when he passed on i got the hammock and tried to sleep in it. i took some serious sleep dope and was crawling into the tipi at 1 am to get a nap.
Ooof, I sure hope I don’t have issues. But I already struggle sleeping on a ground pad, so I don’t think I really have much to lose. I can definitely tell it’s going to take some getting used to. The shoulder squeeze especially.

Seeknelk

WKR
I get almost no shoulder squeeze in my warrbonnet blackbird XL. I'm 5-10, 265 . I'm a dedicated side sleeper if I'm on the ground or in my bed, but can sleep very well on my back in it. I can roll into my side if I really feel the need for a break from the back lie. But I really like it. I have their underquilt, an EE topquilt, and one of their tarps. Could cut weight with a single layer hammock if your lighter, and a dyneema tarp and their are lighter underquilts I'd imagine.

OP
P
I get almost no shoulder squeeze in my warrbonnet blackbird XL. I'm 5-10, 265 . I'm a dedicated side sleeper if I'm on the ground or in my bed, but can sleep very well on my back in it. I can roll into my side if I really feel the need for a break from the back lie. But I really like it. I have their underquilt, an EE topquilt, and one of their tarps. Could cut weight with a single layer hammock if your lighter, and a dyneema tarp and their are lighter underquilts I'd imagine.
Thanks, I will certainly keep that in mind if I can’t handle the shoulder squeeze in my Kammok. I went with 20* underquilt from western mountaineering and a 30* top from hammock gear. With the stock tarp I’m at 67.4oz for my entire sleep system. If I decide I need a bigger tarp I’m going to go dyneema for sure and can cut some more weight there.

11boo

WKR
Last season was my first in a hammock. I slept very well in a ENO Double nest.

That one is slightly larger than their single, and if I do it again, I’ll get a hammock that is a little bigger. I think mine is around 9’, and 10 or 11’ seems like it would give a guy more wiggle room. Still, mine was excellent.
Also impressed with their rain fly, which kept everything under it dry during 12 hours of rain. That rain was without wind, if it had been a driving rain I suspect the rain fly would need to be lowered.

That foam mat under my bag was well worth bringing.

8369D1E8-8768-4CA2-A169-735AC7F53E6F.jpeg

TimbeHuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I just placed an order for a Superior Gear hammock- their ultimate bundle in 30 degree rating with elite upgrades to the fabrics and down.
Hammock, built in under quilt, top quilt, removable bug net, suspension straps, tarp, guy lines, stakes, and stuff sack should come in under 6lbs if I did my math right.
I really like the idea of the built-in under quilt so there’s no messing with it; just hang and hop in with no adjusting.
From every review I’ve seen/read, they’re conservative with their temp ratings, which is good because I sleep cold. Their top quilt (they call their “Comforter”) has snaps on it and can be stacked on the under quilt beneath the hammock to get down to seriously low temps (carrying an additional top quilt, of course).
You could save a couple oz with a dyneema tarp, but the features of Superior’s tarp seem intuitive.
They’re a small company; Danny the owner emailed me back in about 10 minutes about a question I had before placing the order- at 9pm.
They have a long wait time for shipping as they build to order, so hopefully mine gets here in time for elk season. Last year I used an ENO Doublenest with a sleeping pad and a 10x10 tarp from Amazon. Really looking forward to the upgrade.

I just placed an order for a Superior Gear hammock- their ultimate bundle in 30 degree rating with elite upgrades to the fabrics and down.
Hammock, built in under quilt, top quilt, removable bug net, suspension straps, tarp, guy lines, stakes, and stuff sack should come in under 6lbs if I did my math right.
I really like the idea of the built-in under quilt so there’s no messing with it; just hang and hop in with no adjusting.
From every review I’ve seen/read, they’re conservative with their temp ratings, which is good because I sleep cold. Their top quilt (they call their “Comforter”) has snaps on it and can be stacked on the under quilt beneath the hammock to get down to seriously low temps (carrying an additional top quilt, of course).
You could save a couple oz with a dyneema tarp, but the features of Superior’s tarp seem intuitive.
They’re a small company; Danny the owner emailed me back in about 10 minutes about a question I had before placing the order- at 9pm.
They have a long wait time for shipping as they build to order, so hopefully mine gets here in time for elk season. Last year I used an ENO Doublenest with a sleeping pad and a 10x10 tarp from Amazon. Really looking forward to the upgrade.
How's your new Superior Gear hammock working out?

fatlander

WKR
How's your new Superior Gear hammock working out?

He liked it so much he’s convinced two of his hunting buddies to make the switch. I’m one of them. I’ve only had my 30 degree superior bundle out once. It was in a January snow storm with driving wind and temps right around the 10 degree mark. It lives up to its name. The sleep quality was superior.

Last fall I watched Tim and one of my other buddies comfortably living through a week of absolutely miserable rain that wasn’t in the forecast. I rolled around in the mud day after day in my floorless single man shelter and either got dressed laying down in that mud caked coffin or standing up in the rain every morning. They got dressed under their luxurious tarps while sitting comfortably in their hammocks.

That week long trip made a believer out of me. The January trip affirmed my decision. The hammock system far exceeded its temperature rating and was the best night sleep I’ve gotten in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk