What would it take?

Hey man what else is there to talk about??? Boots, what cartridges are best for elk, and sleep “systems”?? Cause none of them has ever been discussed hahaha
Just sayin’, the ashes are still smoldering and pitchforks are still dripping from the last thread that started just like this.
Every small tourist town has the same local vs visitor friction, there’s a vocal few from both sides that make the problem seem much worse than it really is. Meanwhile the silent majority enjoy the symbiotic relationship.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Just be friendly and courteous, that's about all you can do. I'm surprised how many people I pass on forest service roads return my friendly little half wave with a blank stare.

KsRancher

WKR
I hate to be that guy. But there is nothing that will fix it except to get rid of NR in that state. Unless the residents of that state gets exactly what they want, they will always look to the NR as the first problem. My home state of Ks is no different

CCooper

WKR
As a guy whom has hunted out of state every year consistently for the last 5 years, I can say I've never had a bad experience with a "local". Most people out in the woods during season are good folks there to do the same thing I am. Courtesy goes a long way whether resident or not. I heard it once "If you run into an asshole in the morning, maybe you just ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole". People seem to gravitate towards something to complain about- especially on this site lately.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As a nonresident of 49 states that absolutely loves western big game hunting, what could I do to not only be accepted in your state, but how could i and those like me, make it better. What would it take to earn your trust and respect.
It's not even a NR thing. When I was a kid many years ago, back when you hardly ever ran into folks in the woods or such even......my dad and I would go hit the rivers for fly fishing. My dad would complain about even anyone from the "city" that was anywhere near "our" spots. Back then licenses plates were coded by city or locale, so easy to tell where they were from.

And quite frankly we didn't care who they were, where they were from, how nice they were, or anything else........only that they were close to where we were planning on fishing. Same for hunting. I'll admit it.......I'm selfish when it comes to my hunting and fishing spots. But I could care less who's there when I'm not. I value and crave my solitude on the river and in the mountains.

So......I really don't care if we have a million NR's or residents hunting or fishing here.......just so it's when I'm not there. ;)

In actuality though, I converse with most of the guys I see out there and things are pretty mellow. I even got woke up in camp one night a couple years ago by some Texans because their truck battery was dead and they needed a jump to get to town. I got up, put my contacts back in and got dressed, and drove over and jumped their truck. That's the reality of things, regardless how I feel about my lack of solitude.

As for NR's specifically, I've helped several from this site and AT in the past with unit info and such. This last year I was going to help a Texan that had an elk tag in my favorite unit. I was prepared to set up camp and take him out every day. I'd much rather do that than even hunt some OTC unit with a tag for myself. I have a blast in that draw unit. But timing just didn't work out, so info was about all I could do for him......this year.

Last edited:
OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I hate to be that guy. But there is nothing that will fix it except to get rid of NR in that state. Unless the residents of that state gets exactly what they want, they will always look to the NR as the first problem. My home state of Ks is no different
Well I beg to differ sir. In the Bible, Jonah preached to an entire city that was completely lost and they repented.

We are no different and neither is this non-unified situation we’re in.

wapitibob

WKR
Well I beg to differ sir. In the Bible, Jonah preached to an entire city that was completely lost and they repented.

We are no different and neither is this non-unified situation we’re in.

Jonah didn’t draw an Elk tag and camp in “somebody’s spot.”

I don’t worry about it. Been hunting out of state for a decade and have never had an issue. It’s an internet thing for the most part.

Rich M

WKR
LoL!

These guys are fighting over antlers. Love thy neighbor doesn’t include antlers.

God loved Jacob, not Esau, who was in fact a hunter and was supposed to have killed Nimrod, also a hunter.

Take it from there. A city guy vs a hunter who killed another hunter (over game perhaps?)

Break it down to jealousy, envy, selfishness, greed, …. And you might be getting somewhere.

KsRancher

WKR
I will add. I have pretty well only had good interactions with residents and nonresidents while hunting Colorado. In Kansas it's been good interactions with nonresidents. It's our residents that have an attitude it seems

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to glass, pull over. If you’re going slow looking for animals, watch your mirrors.

I am friends with a lot of ranchers and that is their biggest complaint. Come over the hill pulling a loaded stock trailer and someone is parked in the road glassing.

Otherwise most of em will say non residents are way more respectful than locals

49ereric

WKR
I’m just glad I live in a state with not much for a non resident to want to hunt cuz we have enough problems with twin citidiots as is. The good news is deer on rez are sneakier than anywhere else in Mn and citidiots don’t have the patience. Including the wife’s cousin that hunts on one of my stands.

Jethro

WKR
I’ve never done anything special to be accepted and have never experienced any animosity because I was a nonresident. Have met lots of nice guys.

As a nonresident of 49 states that absolutely loves western big game hunting, what could I do to not only be accepted in your state, but how could i and those like me, make it better. What would it take to earn your trust and respect.

Once we figure that out, we can start fixing the issue.

For example,

Volunteer for projects

Fundraising

Just being more neighborly in the woods

Etc

What would it take for you to say, “ You know, them fellows are alright. In fact, they’re practically just like me.”

My goal is that we will stick together as hunters across our entire country. Because we ain’t all that different and are all wanting basically the same things

“For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I know I could do a better job loving others

Just stop giving a shit about if anybody respects you, or thinks you are alright, or that yall are just like each other. Why does that even matter? Just go do your thing.