What’s causing my sewing machine to do this?

zacattack

WKR
sometimes after I go back and forth to lock a stitch in I get this tangle of thread. Could somebody help me out with what I’m doing wrong?

Attachments

• B24058F2-2D47-4EE4-87B3-73BE402FA0F2.jpeg
    B24058F2-2D47-4EE4-87B3-73BE402FA0F2.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 107

WoodBow

WKR
Play with changing where the needle is in its cycle when you pull the fabric away. I think it works best when the needle is on its way back down, rather than up. I cant remember. It took me a while to figure that out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Play with changing where the needle is in its cycle when you pull the fabric away. I think it works best when the needle is on its way back down, rather than up. I cant remember. It took me a while to figure that out.

interesting I’ll try that, would make sense as it only happens sometimes

WoodBow

WKR
interesting I’ll try that, would make sense as it only happens sometimes
Yea i think the machine is trying to hook a stitch and you catch it mid process. I stopped having that issue when i figured that out. Interestingly i have never heard this mentioned anywhere and i have spent my fair amount of time reading sewing info.

JDZ

WKR

Same experience here. Figured that out many years ago and thought it was just a quirk of the machine I had. But the same holds true for other machines.

I have a question. What causes a big mess of knotted thread on the bottom side of the fabric when using heavy duty thread? Does it have to do with thread tension?

WoodBow

WKR
Same experience here. Figured that out many years ago and thought it was just a quirk of the machine I had. But the same holds true for other machines.

I have a question. What causes a big mess of knotted thread on the bottom side of the fabric when using heavy duty thread? Does it have to do with thread tension?
Most likely yes. Especially if you are on a home machine and not an industrial one. They are not designed to use heavy thread and are not designed to apply adequate top tension. You can work around it though. Easiest is to add an extra wrap somewhere along the thread routing process. Or you can disassemble the top tension adjustment and remove the stop on the side of most tension. That will allow you to tighten it further. You can also get heavier tension springs.

JDZ

WKR
Most likely yes. Especially if you are on a home machine and not an industrial one. They are not designed to use heavy thread and are not designed to apply adequate top tension. You can work around it though. Easiest is to add an extra wrap somewhere along the thread routing process. Or you can disassemble the top tension adjustment and remove the stop on the side of most tension. That will allow you to tighten it further. You can also get heavier tension springs.

Thanks. Does it also require more tension on the bobbin side?

WoodBow

WKR
Thanks. Does it also require more tension on the bobbin side?
Not typically. Putting in bigger thread will automatically make bobbin tension go up because the hole it pulls out of stayed the same size and the thread got bigger.

I do the bobbin case drop test usually. Hold tag end of thread and drop the bobbin case put of your hand. About 2 or 3' of thread should pull out. Adjust as needed to achieve that result. It isnt super critical about length. You want some thread to pull out but you don't want it to just free fall.

Reactions: JDZ

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
sometimes after I go back and forth to lock a stitch in I get this tangle of thread. Could somebody help me out with what I’m doing wrong?

An easy way to test this is to use a scrap...sew some stitches...then lift the presser foot and move the wheel by hand - toward you to move the needle. You will find a spot where the thread releases freely. Usually it is at the needles top most position on every machine. Makes sense as then it is as clear from the work pieces as is possible.

If you still get it after finding the "spot", I'd increase your top tension a little to see if it goes away.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I fiddled around with it today and seems like I need to go all the way up and down just a hair

Ugh I have the same problem. I always thought it was because I was inexperienced. (I started sewing only a few weeks ago. I have been kind of never the type that would actually pick up sewing (I have always been too cool for that) but after my mom died I wanted to try it because it was something my mom really loved. I have been trying to sort of reconnect with her through it but it has been a struggle. I have been using an old singer machine that my mom had and useful for ore then 20 years. It feels nice even though I have had my fair share of struggles. I was lucky because I was able to find a really cool website that has a huge set of articles for a newbie like me. If you guys are interested you can check it here: http://sewingmachinebuffs.com/how-to-thread-a-singer-sewing-machine/ ; It is helping me a lot although I am still al thumbs when it comes to sewing, I do feel closer to my mother though and it is really amazing

Last edited:

Explorer

FNG
Just something else to check out.
I had similar problems and finaly traced it down to a bur on the baseplate where the thread from the bobbin comes through. The bur developed from me pushing or pulling fabric, causing the needle to strike the plate. The little bur would catch thread causing it to bunch up and tangle or not tension properly. I found a new plate online for about $10.