Dozier pro guide knife or bark river clip point
Smaller folding knife or benchmade altitude
Saw only if in AK
Tag bags
Paracord
Pen
Orange aglow panel If in heavily hunted spot
Contractor bag

Lots of mine is multipurpose not just for the kill kit. I like a 4.5” fixed blade plus a smaller knife in my pocket or bino harness. Unless I am caping I only use the bigger knife on game.

muddydogs

WKR
What's with the wipes and gloves?
Unnecessary bs that always seems to get left near the carcass.
Friggin Hmongs around here always leave those stupid blue gloves and water bottles at kill sites. Pisses me off.
Because some of us don't need to be cool and show off to the world that we shot something with the blood on our hands. Or maybe we don't want to deal with the blood transfer to everything we touch while taking care of the animal. I hate gloves and don't wear them while processing meat at home but when in the field wearing gloves is better then dealing with messy hands.

Jbehredt

WKR
I never bring any kind of cordage. Am I planning for disaster here? Seems to be a common item..

If you have one down in a STEEP place you’ll appreciate some cord to anchor it in place. Also nice for hanging quarters off the ground if your game bags don’t have anything built in.

jhm2023

WKR
You sound like an idiot.

The reason for gloves are simple. When you accidentally nick your finger with your blade, the glove material gets cut rather than your skin. When you spend 7-14 days in the mountains it's far easier to remove a pair of gloves then it is to clean dried blood or other animal fluids from your hands. especially during cold weather when you want to immediately put warm gloves back on without getting them bloody. Gloves reduce the spread of blood to other gear when water isn't available. Also I always have a bear tag in my pocket and bears can carry Trichinosis. There are many other reasons but those are the main ones. Just because your mind can't comprehend or understand something doesn't warrant acting like a douche. I will agree that the trash shouldn't be left behind though.

muddydogs

WKR
The reason for gloves are simple. When you accidentally nick your finger with your blade, the glove material gets cut rather than your skin. When you spend 7-14 days in the mountains it's far easier to remove a pair of gloves then it is to clean dried blood or other animal fluids from your hands. especially during cold weather when you want to immediately put warm gloves back on without getting them bloody. Gloves reduce the spread of blood to other gear when water isn't available. Also I always have a bear tag in my pocket and bears can carry Trichinosis. There are many other reasons but those are the main ones. Just because your mind can't comprehend or understand something doesn't warrant acting like a douche. I will agree that the trash shouldn't be left behind though.

I've even taken it a step further and now wear a cut glove on my left hand. I've never gotten more then a nick when processing an animal but know a few that have cut themselves fairly bad. Figure a cut glove is a little extra insurance I won't have to deal with a nasty cut in the middle of the night while trying to get an animal taken care of and cooled down. A good cut a few miles from the pickup which is a lot of miles from medical help could be a real pain to deal with.

jhm2023

WKR
I've even taken it a step further and now wear a cut glove on my left hand. I've never gotten more then a nick when processing an animal but know a few that have cut themselves fairly bad. Figure a cut glove is a little extra insurance I won't have to deal with a nasty cut in the middle of the night while trying to get an animal taken care of and cooled down. A good cut a few miles from the pickup which is a lot of miles from medical help could be a real pain to deal with.

I cut myself to the bone once while skinning a bear at dusk because another bear came in on me. I don't risk getting Trichinosis anymore and wear cut proof gloves under a pair of nitrile gloves when dealing with bears.

Kuiu Med Zip Dry Bag
Either Carnivor III Bags (360gr) or Wapiti Bone In Bags (508gr Total)
Kestrel Mountain Scalpel Handle + 5 Blades
50ft of 2.2mm Orange Reflective Line
Tags

(0.99lb for the boned out kit total or 1.31lb bone in Kit)

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Bark River drop point hunting knife, Gransfors Bruks Hunting axe, sharpening stone and sharpening stick (gotten sharpen up after each moose and the stick for any rolled edges/nicks on the axe after taking care of the bones), 2 sets of Grizzly game bags (30x50 4 count), hamburger bag, gloves and 550 cord.

I try to make it so everything I have serves a dual purpose to reduce weight.

TheCougar

WKR
Havalon with 3-4 spare blades, TAG bags, one garbage bag, pink flagging tape, 2 pairs rubber gloves, 2 alcohol wipes, all kept in a large kifaru pullout.

Other misc items not in the kill kit, but used in the process: headlamp, little camera stand and phone skope camera remote, 550 cord from essentials bag, tape from my trekking pole (attaching tag), fixed blade knife, piece of orange parachute panel for the pack out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of good info here, that ill be revisiting next year.

I'm from the East so its a little bit different for me. But there's times ive had to bone and pack a whitetail out. My kill kit is going to vary from a lot of you guys, but I'll post it with the hopes that it might help someone looking to pack a deer out.

-3 pillow cases or game bags (one for hinds, one for shoulders, loins, and tenderloins, one for trim)
-Victorinox 5" stiff straight boning knife w/ pvc sheath
-small stone
-1 quart size ziploc bag (kill kit stays in it until I get to work, then I use it to bring the heart back
-20' of 550 cord wrapped around my trekking poles (more of a "just in case" item)
-pen to fill out tags
- 3 to 4' of leukotape wrapped around the pen
-3'x4' piece of tyvek
-headlamp
-mini mag light as a back up

All of that stays at the truck in my good pack. If I kill one, I carry my stand and gear out, shed some layers, grab my kill pack and get back in after it. When I head west, ill certainly need to revamp it and consider bulk and weight, but it's pretty compact and does exactly what I need it to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

I never bring any kind of cordage. Am I planning for disaster here? Seems to be a common item..
It's just really nice to tie hind quarter legs off to trees if you're hunting solo. Also, I have 2 black garbage bags. I split one in half to lay meat on and use the other so my pack doesn't have a swarm of yellow jackets following it from blood for the rest of my hunt

Valid point, but for me, gloves for me less about getting blood on my hands and more for keeping the animals blood from getting inside my hands once I inevitably slice my finger at some point. Less than 8 grams for a pair and they usually find their way in my kill kit.
Also, given the amount of ticks on many animals during archery season, I just prefer keeping those damn things off me. Tuck long sleeves under gloves...

OXN939

WKR
Just curious on what you guys include in your “Kill Kit” and what kind of container/bag do you use to contain it? Mine is currently in a gallon ziplock bag and it contains:

Havalon (w/ extra blades)
Paracord
Travel pack of baby wipes
Gerber folding bone saw
Game bags
Couple pair of latex gloves
Zip ties

So what other stuff do you guys include?

Lol at the fighting in this thread.

Kinda amazed nobody has mentioned a mister bottle and citric acid yet? Always hit all my quarters and prime cuts with a generous spray of citric acid before they go into the game bag, no matter how long I anticipate them staying there. Inhibits microbial growth, and starts the formation of that nice prosciutto-esque crust.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Lol at the fighting in this thread.

Kinda amazed nobody has mentioned a mister bottle and citric acid yet? Always hit all my quarters and prime cuts with a generous spray of citric acid before they go into the game bag, no matter how long I anticipate them staying there. Inhibits microbial growth, and starts the formation of that nice prosciutto-esque crust.

liquid or do you take powder and then mix on site?

OXN939

WKR
liquid or do you take powder and then mix on site?

Powder. Pour half an ounce-ish into the bottom of the mister bottle, shake, and spray. Spray a test portion on your wrist, and you can taste that it's working.

I honestly would not even do a hunt that requires a packout in temps above 60 without it.