What's next size up from 6.5 CM

I am really intrigued by 300 SAUM but worry about ammo options. I do hand load all my 6.5 CM ammo but not too fond of the process. Thank for the info, I will look into Alex Wheeler's website.
If you want a 30 cal with excellent lapua brass and good factory ammo then get a 300 PRC.
If you aren't killing big critters beyond 600 yards I'd recommend a 7 saum/wsm

I wouldn’t worry about having a bison gun unless you have a bison tag. Can worry about that if/when the time comes, and probably borrow something.

Vern400

WKR
ONE step up could be the 270. It can be handloaded to be the ballistic equal of the 6.5 CM. (Supersonic past 1000 yds) It takes you from a .264 to .277 projectile. It kicks more, but it won't rattle your teeth loose. And it's a fine caliber.

There are lots of steps you can take more as well. .284 and .308 based calibers. With each one being more capable but less fun to shoot regularly.

280AI is catching on some as well. It is pretty interesting from a performance standpoint. But it will be a bit more punchy than 270 with the increased case capacity and charge weight.

OP
S

smby

FNG
Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. I've narrowed down to a couple of options and depends on the availability I can go either way. I will start to build the rifle and start shooting. Until the new system is dialed in, I will stick with my 6.5CM. Thanks again!

ericwh

WKR
I usually shoot 130 or 140 in my 6.5 Creedmoor. To me, the next step up is a 7mm magnum shooting 160-175 grains.

I don't see myself needing to shoot a heavier projectile than that.

For the sake of pedantry, I imagine the smallest possible step up would be the 260 Remington (so small as to probably be irrelevant).

I have a 6.5 CM as well and just ordered a 300 PRC while away at a long range class but I am having buyers remorse. No doubt I will love it but I just don't think I will be able to shoot it as much as I like due to recoil. Sticking with the high BC theme I would suggest the 6.8 western. I do not already own a 270 or a 7mm so why not go with the latest design using high bc bullets. You will get tons of opinions but do your own research comparing it to 7mm mag and 300 win mag. I will have the 6.5 shooting 143 grains, 6.8 shooting 165 or 175 and the 300 PRC probably shooting the 212 and all will be some of the highest BC offerings. Some of the reloaders can chime in here but there is more to it with the new designs than just high BC. The new chambers and long bullets are more forgiving as they enter the rifling. I need all the help I can get so i'm drinking the koolaid!