What’s the best Custom Hunting Action?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
@kupper is right people will claim what they own is the best, can't blame them. I have owned my fair share of custom rifles, all had good actions. I'm personally moving all my rifles to the Defiance Ultralight. Had a few issues with pic rails coming lose and don't want to deal with it anymore.

Fuzion TI 25.5 oz
Defiance UL 27 oz Stainless steel

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
@kupper is right people will claim what they own is the best, can't blame them. I have owned my fair share of custom rifles, all had good actions. I'm personally moving all my rifles to the Defiance Ultralight. Had a few issues with pic rails coming lose and don't want to deal with it anymore.

Fuzion TI 25.5 oz

I feel you on the pic rails coming lose.

When you have your Defiances built do you have them clearance them the extra 2-3 thou to better deal with field conditions?

Defiant actions or lone peak! I have both an they are both equally as good in my opinion! Lone peak ti I have is a little lighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have titanium actioned hunters built on both Lone Peak and Pierce. The Pierce is nice, but the Lone Peak is a far smoother cycling action in all environments. The Pierce is a little "grabby" that gets worse as the temp drops or gets even a little dusty. The Lone Peak has zero of these issues.

I have been running a lone peak since before lone peak was even main stream... I have serial code number 0000004 titanium action, one of the first they ever built on my rifle and man is it still sweet! I’d definitely give them a look👍🏻

Goose2345

FNG
There is no wrong answer to this question any of the big names will serve you well. Personally I can’t seem to justify the extra cost for titanium lone peak is local to me and make great actions but at 1700 bucks and as Ryan stated about a couple ounce weight savings Over a defiance which is 1400 I can’t ever talk myself into trying one that extra 300 buys my barrel just how I think of it! Either way you’ll have a very nice rifle I just haven’t been able to stray from defiance!

Fuzion TI 25.5 oz
Im a Defiance fan as well; my 6mm Creedmoor / 7mmSAW is a switch barrel on an Proof Research TAC II platform (Defiance action) and it is awesome. The only advantage my Lone Peak Ti has over it (besides a little weight savings) is the Lone Peak is not prone to cycling issues when its really dusty when shooting competition. The Defiance doesn't like the heavy dust. But as a hunter, you're not going to be cycling the bolt 150+ times in a weekend.

Don’t forget to look at Mesa Precision Arms. The short action Ti is 1,399 and weighs 19oz. I have one of their first crux to serial 0014Ti

sneaky

"DADDY"
There is no wrong answer to this question any of the big names will serve you well. Personally I can’t seem to justify the extra cost for titanium lone peak is local to me and make great actions but at 1700 bucks and as Ryan stated about a couple ounce weight savings Over a defiance which is 1400 I can’t ever talk myself into trying one that extra 300 buys my barrel just how I think of it! Either way you’ll have a very nice rifle I just haven’t been able to stray from defiance!
I'm just curious as to what quality barrel you're able to buy for $300. All the barrels I've priced are way over that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
All good actions. My vote is an Impact, but I have a biased opinion as I know Tate and their shop is just down the road.

sneaky

"DADDY"
A lightweight carbon wrapped barrel is nowhere near that $300 mark. I'm not lugging a heavy steel barrel around the mountains if I can help it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR

Fuzion TI 25.5 oz

Were the pic rail issues you’re referring to with lone peak actions? If so is it with a fuzion or razor?