What’s the best wild game meat?

Grillnugz

FNG
Grouse that’s been eating juniper or pine needles in the Rocky Mountain. The meat is infused with those flavors. Cooked to medium in a cast iron pan with butter and herbs (French bistro style) it is excellent and fast to cook

amassi

WKR
Moose, elk, sand hill cranes, mallards in rice fields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I grew up, antelope was always bashed as being gamey and not worth anything but jerky.

I whole heartedly disagree and have to say that it is both my wife and my favorite.

Followed by mountain lion, elk, moose and whitetail in that order.

On 11/11/11, my friends and I had a wild game taste test. We had an impressive array of wild game but not everything in North America. We had Roosevelt and Rocky Mountain elk; whitetail, mule deer, and blacktail; black bear; moose; antelope; caribou; cougar; nutria; Canada goose; a few species of ducks; bison; turkey; multiple types of beef; and probably a few more animals I'm forgetting.

Here's how the test went down. While the "tasting group" was outside by the fire, the "cooking group" ground and seasoned the meat the exact same way. They'd cook up meat and then come outside with a tray of mini burgers. The tasters would eat one and then mark down their score. While it wasn't scientific, per se, it was as close as we could get to determining what the tastiest game meat was.

The results surprised the hell out of everyone. I don't recall the exact order, but here's the top three as voted on by a group of 20+.

3. Pronghorn antelope--simply a delicious game animal when cleaned and cooled quickly
2. Mountain lion--tasted like a 150-pound pheasant
1. Nutria--wait, what?

Yes, a swamp rat won the tastiest game meat trophy. What's even more impressive is most of the people there couldn't stand the thought of eating nutria, but since they didn't know what meat they were eating, they voted objectively.