What’s the best wild game meat?

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
My personal favorites are Elk and Whitetail Deer. They both taste like heaven. Just find out any recipe you like on the internet, throw that meat, and voila it always tastes better with these two.

Sadly the evaluation of flavor is determined by the each. I have lived on elk most of my life. I'm currently eating a young cow that meets all the criteria for heaven. The bulls are good but just not as good as that cow.

I have had some big bucks that were good and one little buck that was unfit for the table.

I have eaten a few antelope and I can't say why but there was something about it that was less than exciting so I quit hunting them.

Upland game is usually good while waterfowl can be hit or miss. Montana moose I have tasted had a good flavor but were chewy. Alaska moose seem to be better. Why? I have no idea.

Since I live off of what I shoot, I tend to pick carefully. My saying for decades has been -"Beef is for selling while elk is for eating!".

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
Snapping turtle
Black bear
Elk/antelope
Whitetail
Any sheep… depending on my mood this may move up the ladder a good bit.. has to be done right and I only eat the back straps.

JD Jones

WKR
Elk has always been a top contender but I’ve had some axis deer that I put up there at the top. Ohh also I turned a 250# sow into chorizo and that might have been the best use of game meat I ever did. I followed the recipe in “Afield”

IALoder

FNG
Out of the game I've had the pleasure of eating Elk would be #1. If we had elk to hunt here in IA, I'd never buy beef again.

Teal and Specklebelly goose are #2. They make fantastic fajitas!

Deer would be #3, it's ~90% of the red meat my wife and I eat. We are lucky and harvest enough every year to keep us well fed.

>120lb wild pig is very good as well, especially now that I have a smoker.

I haven't had antelope or moose, and am hoping to remedy that soon!

sjvcon

FNG
I don't know if you call Buffalo wild. Seems like most of the hunting of them is not what you'd call "in the wild". But hands down to me the best flavor of the game meats I've tried. Elk is probably second for me. I've done some on the smoker, and when you take care to keep the moisture in it is REALLY hard to beat. Tender and flavorful.

AkRyan

WKR
Not sure if it was how we made it or not but I l8ve on moose, bear, dear and when we got a sand hill crane it was unbelievable 😳 little fingers with a slice of jalapeño wrapped in bacon over the fire and it had everyone wanting to hint them the next day.