What’s the best wild game meat?

jeffpg

WKR
I have hunted and eaten almost everything in the USA and Africa. Zebra is excellent, and Leopard isn't bad.
My favorite African meat is Eland, but it's all good when prepared correctly by the native people who know how.
Stateside, my go to is Axis. I am fortunate to have access to hunting them year round and I keep plenty. I do like my elk and moose as well.

Hof

FNG
Moose for quality/quantity. If I got it be steak it’d be bison though it’s a tough draw. Of the every year critters. Sitka Blcktail has to be up there with Dall sheep

I guess I have a more defined palet. Young cow elk, older cow elk, young bull elk, old bull elk ( if I have to), Alaska moose, shiras moose ( kind of chewy) cows over bulls, western mulies and whitetails, eastern mt deer, sage antelope (edible but not desired) ruff grouse, rubber thunder chickens (fun but chewy). You get the picture.

If you're comparing an animal that's being prepared with all sorts of spices and sauce or wrapped in bacon it doesn't count. A lot of people say elk or axis is their favorite, I see that being the case because those two taste the most similar to beef. I prefer animals with a taste that is derived from their environment that I don't need to add anything to. It is a toss up for me between two:

fall berry fed black bear & mule deer. Most underrated and glossed over animals when it comes to table fare in my opinion.

Last edited:

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had a huge range of wild game but wild boar ribs have been the best so far.