What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

Moserkr

WKR
I've seen marks like that on NF trails from when they blasted the rock away with dynamite. They'd hammer a hole 6' deep, then drop the sticks of dynamite down to cut away the rock.
No trails, old roads, or any evidence of mining at this spot. Just the edge of the middle of the wilderness. I know what hammer holes look like and this is 5-6x larger. Will be back there when the snow melts.

def90

WKR
MREs are what I thought as well but I haven’t seen them in dark brown bags like that. I have seen surplus 7.62 Nato in brown battle packs like that though.

My dealio is... around here...I'm talking like it's something done near trailheads and near where trails cross waterways. Those are just from wannabe zen woke vegan people the types that feel you should leave all animals alone types. The types that feel it incumbent upon themselves to remove the flag tape I put up so I'd no where I gotta turn in to find the right spot to attempt crossing a waterway at butt-thirty in the night when I'm hiking back outta there. I've since taken to judiciously using the reflective thumb-tacks. So far soo good with those. Since you figure only hunters are hiking out in the pitch black like that.

And I had to try marking tape and then the thumbtacks because I tried arranging some rocks on the ground in the form of an arrow to alert users that here is that spot where you can cross. But that was removed as well. So lesson learned, those reflective thumbtacks are best. And... if you place them just right... they can look like a scary set of reflecting eyes looking back at you in the black of night! ;)
You're the guy leaving all that flagging in the woods!

I always take that stuff down unless the trail is impossible to mark accurately on the gps. I figure if the other hunters aren't good enough to navigate without it, they shouldn't be hunting there ;) .

Fatcamp

WKR
You're the guy leaving all that flagging in the woods!

I always take that stuff down unless the trail is impossible to mark accurately on the gps. I figure if the other hunters aren't good enough to navigate without it, they shouldn't be hunting there ;) .

Same. I absolutely hate that pink and orange plastic all over the woods. Some irony going on here.

twall13

WKR
I've used the flagging tape before to mark the best path to a kill for the multi trip packout. That said, I always take it down when I'm done and also remove the stuff others leave behind when I come across it. It really is an eye sore...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Lol, yeah I've pulled down peoples toilet paper flagging and reflective tacks as well. The funny part is that the tacks I pulled out were on an obvious old abandoned forestservice road so there was no way to miss the trail in the first place.

pirogue

WKR
Some prepper is pissed that someone found his cache, lol. What are the brown sealed bags?
MRE packs, that were marked $2.50 each. Another cool item in there was the box of “strike anywhere” matches. Can’t find those anymore.

MREs are what I thought as well but I haven’t seen them in dark brown bags like that. I have seen surplus 7.62 Nato in brown battle packs like that though.
Meals ready to excrete...is more like it...I think the brown wrapper was mid 90s

AustinR

FNG
Nothing crazy exciting here, just a few arrow heads. Waiting for that day I find something off the wall out there.

rayporter

WKR
eTVoGhn.jpg

mcr-85

WKR
Some more pics of stuff I have found. Mostly native american type stuff but I find it interesting.

Arrowheads, a drill point and a scraper/skinner all found this year. I think I have found a couple others this year but I don't have pics of them.
2020 arrowheads.jpg

I find quite a bit of petroglyphs around this area. These are some of the only ones I've found that look like a mule deer to me.
IMG_20190202_140910.jpg
20150730_074907.jpg

I thought this one was cool. A lot of petroglyphs here have the sheep/goat looking critters.

IMG_20171122_205137_911.jpg

I've found other writings in the rocks.

MVIMG_20190119_113503.jpg1223171125.jpgIMG_20190119_113734.jpg

I found this bunker or mine in the rock and sage country. I'm not sure what it was built for.

MVIMG_20190202_112404.jpg
IMG_20190202_112232.jpg

I've heard rumors about the Spanish burying gold along the Old Spanish Trail that runs right through this area. I'm not sure how true that is. The area below this pic was excavated out. These look like crosses/crucifix symbols to me, not native. Someone else might have a better idea than me though. I haven't done any research on those rumors either.

20150730_074816.jpg

Mt Al

WKR
Some more pics of stuff I have found. Mostly native american type stuff but I find it interesting.

Arrowheads, a drill point and a scraper/skinner all found this year. I think I have found a couple others this year but I don't have pics of them.
View attachment 247226

I find quite a bit of petroglyphs around this area. These are some of the only ones I've found that look like a mule deer to me.
View attachment 247227
View attachment 247237

I thought this one was cool. A lot of petroglyphs here have the sheep/goat looking critters.

View attachment 247225

I've found other writings in the rocks.

View attachment 247230View attachment 247231View attachment 247229

I found this bunker or mine in the rock and sage country. I'm not sure what it was built for.

View attachment 247233
View attachment 247228

I've heard rumors about the Spanish burying gold along the Old Spanish Trail that runs right through this area. I'm not sure how true that is. The area below this pic was excavated out. These look like crosses/crucifix symbols to me, not native. Someone else might have a better idea than me though. I haven't done any research on those rumors either.

View attachment 247239

OK, you win hands down! Would love to find petroglyphs, those are way cool, plus awesome arrow points. Just gotta say, the last petroglyphs are clearly of aliens that are coming back to get us all, except me because I've put on weight and their space ship wouldn't be able to exit the atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing those cool pics!

mcr-85

WKR
OK, you win hands down! Would love to find petroglyphs, those are way cool, plus awesome arrow points. Just gotta say, the last petroglyphs are clearly of aliens that are coming back to get us all, except me because I've put on weight and their space ship wouldn't be able to exit the atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing those cool pics!

I live about 10 miles straight South of this. Most the petroglyphs I find are when I'm out trapping for bobcats but there is a place on BLM that I go shoot and there is a whole long ridge of black rocks full of petroglyphs.

def90

WKR
The hole in the ground could be someones root cellar, you find them out on the prairie in eastern Co. The ones out east are usually built up above the ground with logs and sod a bit as well as dug in to the ground.