What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

grfox92

WKR
Found this in wilderness this weekend. Any idea what it is? It would all have been packed in by men or horses.

Very remote, 6 miles from any road.
039419e702f4a019c545bf6779840b08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Found this in wilderness this weekend. Any idea what it is? It would all have been packed in by men or horses.

Very remote, 6 miles from any road.
039419e702f4a019c545bf6779840b08.jpg

Rain gauge

Carr5vols

WKR
Your great grandpa and grandpa Basque? Basque shepherds did this a lot. The lonely ones would even carve naked ladies into Aspens, which is kind of the holy grail of Basque tree carvings to find.
I have some pics of some I found elk hunting. Some of the women are full figured some are VS models...those guys must have been lonely...

N.ID7803

WKR
Old horse log tongs. I found these a few years ago hanging in some trees while hunting and finally hauled them out this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    907.4 KB · Views: 155

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Your great grandpa and grandpa Basque? Basque shepherds did this a lot. The lonely ones would even carve naked ladies into Aspens, which is kind of the holy grail of Basque tree carvings to find.
Growing up we always hunted near one of these aspens. To get to the good elk hunting my uncle would say “ We have to make it up the naked lady trail”.
Talented artists

Yarak

WKR
Interesting finds
I've found many arrowheads, spear points and stoneknives but only one war club
I'd say the coolest thing I ever found was an Ostrich egg in the middle of no where
Was hunting along a ridge when I see something white in the bottom of the hollow below me so I make my way down to it and its just sticking out of the leaf litter far enough to be seem
When I first saw it it made me think a piece of styrofoam and I bumped it with my foot and knew immediately it wasnt what I thought it was
I picked it up and it occurred to me that this was a egg
LOL!! My first reaction was to look up and think what kind of bird layed this thing
It had gnaw marks from coyotes and squirrels but was still intact
After a little research I found it to be an Ostrich egg and there was a farm several miles away that used to raise them

digger

Lil-Rokslider
I found a scoped 7 mm rifle leaning against a tree as if someone just stepped away to take a leak.It had shells in the magazine.
The gun obviously been there for a couple years. I still have it.

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
My friend from Indiana who has been collection artifacts since he was a child doing it with his dad. He literally has tens of thousands of artifact, mostly from Indiana, told me this is a Mano, a stone that was used to grind such things as corn and wheat. I found it in the mountain desert, a place called hole in the wall.View attachment 597948
I have one just like that...I think? Any idea where I can get it confirmed or identified? Or maybe sent a pic to your friend??

Wingnutty

FNG
Found an old mining cabin this weekend. Not much left except the stove. Not too old most likely, maybe 1900 or so? Then right nearby in the old garbage pile amongst tin cans was this old bottle. I’d think that maybe I’m the first to come across it in all these years since it was sitting right on the ground surface-surely someone else would’ve grabbed it. Might go back and dig a bit see what’s below the surface.
IMG_4186.jpegIMG_4188.jpeg

Stalker69

WKR
Snotel site
Surely that wasn’t packed in 6 miles. There was either a road or a way to drive, snowmobile there, or helicopter. They poured concrete ( had to dig a deep hole also) and bolted that thing. Wasn’t on horse or man’s back. Helicopter would be most likely.

madgrad02

WKR
I think GBFlyer might take the W.

I found a downed drone and every year I see seashells.
Maybe there was a reply later in this thread (haven't made it though them all yet), but saw a ton of these in Colorado this year as well... thought it strange. Ended up looking them up when I got back to some cell service... Rocky Mountain Snail

Surely that wasn’t packed in 6 miles. There was either a road or a way to drive, snowmobile there, or helicopter. They poured concrete ( had to dig a deep hole also) and bolted that thing. Wasn’t on horse or man’s back. Helicopter would be most likely.

A Wilderness designation would preclude mechanized travel. Maybe there are exceptions granted, or maybe this thing precluded Wilderness designation.

But I could certainly see that thing coming in on a train of horses.

grfox92

WKR
Snotel site
Who's checking them? Are they walking or riding? How often do they check them? Not sure you know the answers, but now knowing what it is, these are the questions coming to mind lol.

lak2004

WKR
Who's checking them? Are they walking or riding? How often do they check them? Not sure you know the answers, but now knowing what it is, these are the questions coming to mind lol.

Someone from an NRCS office. They are ground truthed monthly in the winter. Snow shoe in or snowmobile. Back in the day, fly in via helicopter for some sites.

Stalker69

WKR
A Wilderness designation would preclude mechanized travel. Maybe there are exceptions granted, or maybe this thing precluded Wilderness designation.

But I could certainly see that thing coming in on a train of horses.
So you think they dug that hole by hand, packed that probably 300-600 pounds of concrete, and stacked those section together and erected it with out mech. aid. I say no way.