What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

So you think they dug that hole by hand, packed that probably 300-600 pounds of concrete, and stacked those section together and erected it with out mech. aid. I say no way.

It's certainly possible, right? You gotta do what you gotta do to stay legal. It's government money anyway, easy just to print more. Like I said maybe exceptions are granted, I don't know.

600 pounds isn't that much. I'd bet a bull's worth of meat hide and head is over 400 pounds.

grfox92

WKR
Surely that wasn’t packed in 6 miles. There was either a road or a way to drive, snowmobile there, or helicopter. They poured concrete ( had to dig a deep hole also) and bolted that thing. Wasn’t on horse or man’s back. Helicopter would be most likely.
Definetly not getting there on anything mechanized on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Found an old mining cabin this weekend. Not much left except the stove. Not too old most likely, maybe 1900 or so? Then right nearby in the old garbage pile amongst tin cans was this old bottle. I’d think that maybe I’m the first to come across it in all these years since it was sitting right on the ground surface-surely someone else would’ve grabbed it. Might go back and dig a bit see what’s below the surface.
View attachment 603127View attachment 603128

Old mine sites and logging camps are all over Co, found 3 I haven't seen before this past Sunday. I leave the stuff where it lays, enough of it has been pilfered over the years.

Remnants of an old boot from this past Sunday:

IMG_20230917_155145279.jpg

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Back in 2001 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was given a year to live. 2 months after his diagnoses, we decided to go fishing on the Muskegon River using my 18' river boat. As we were driving toward the boat launch, my dad looked out the passenger window and said "it sure would be cool to see an eagle today" (we saw eagles on the river once in a while in the past). I nodded my head in agreement as we continued down the road.

After launching the boat, we headed upstream for a few hours of fishing. During our 2 mile boat ride upstream we saw four different eagles with the last one perched on a rock in the middle of the river. As we rounded the bend, the eagle took to the air quite close to the boat. After the eagle had flown away, my dad and I locked eyes for a moment and said nothing. Just then, something in the water caught my eye. Looking closer I realized one of the biggest feathers on that eagle had fallen off during flight and was now floating in the river past our boat. I pointed the feather out to dad. We both stood there in amazement as we watched the feather slowly fade from sight.

Dad passed away 9 months later.

Last edited:
Back in 2001 my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was given a year to live. 2 months after his diagnoses, we decided to go fishing on the Muskegon River using my 18' river boat. As we were driving toward the boat launch, my dad looked out the passenger window and said "it sure would be cool to see an eagle today" (we saw eagles on the river once in a while in the past). I nodded my head in agreement as we continued down the road.

After launching the boat, we headed upstream for a few hours of fishing. During our 2 mile boat ride upstream we saw four different eagles with the last one perched on a rock in the middle of the river. As we rounded the bend, the eagle took to the air quite close to the boat. After the eagle had flown away, my dad and I locked eyes for a moment and said nothing. Just then, something in the water caught my eye. Looking closer I realized one of the biggest feathers on that eagle had fallen off during flight and was now floating in the river past our boat. I pointed the feather out to dad. We both stood there in amazement as we watched the feather slowly fade from sight.

Dad passed away 9 months later.
Dang! Best short story ever. Sorry for your loss

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Hiked into a spot maybe a mile from a two track in a otc unit in Colorado elk hunting last fall. Sat down by a random rock and after being there over 2 hours I just happened to see this 243 shell sticking out of the dirt like this. It's either been there a long time or someone purposely buried it. Regardless I thought it was ironic and gave me a tad bit more confidence in my set up. I didn't see an elk but did see a cow moose pop out right next to me.
401b35ce15da18aaae8633281ba08a23.jpg
1797474b6ba35cb34d54fe8c625b8afc.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Naiche

FNG
I think it's something to do with chaff that military aircraft release. I have found them around the edge of white sands missile range in New Mexico a lot of times. I don't pick them up because they may still be connected to some explosive. Around there you never know when you might stumble across a bomb or other ordinance.

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
While hunting in the Flattops in Colorado (2018) I stumbled across this carving about 2 miles deep. I found it humorous and so I snapped this picture.
MicrosoftTeams-image (54).jpg
By itself...not particularly interesting, but this year while hunting in the Holy Cross Wilderness area (over 100 miles away, I stumbled on some more of this artists work from 30 years ago!!!

MicrosoftTeams-image (55).jpg

While hunting in the Flattops in Colorado (2018) I stumbled across this carving about 2 miles deep. I found it humorous and so I snapped this picture.
View attachment 612633
By itself...not particularly interesting, but this year while hunting in the Holy Cross Wilderness area (over 100 miles away, I stumbled on some more of this artists work from 30 years ago!!!

View attachment 612640
This post took an unexpected turn...very interesting!

PaulDogs

FNG
I got two:

First is an arrowhead (?) or possibly just debitage I found in eastern Manitoba. Any arrowhead experts have any insight?

1705521022816.png 1705521043245.png

Second is a knife from the San Bernardino mountains. Someone on reddit guessed it was a Remington Dupont Fixed Blade Hunting Bowie Knife RH 71 USA 7-3/4" Leather Handle.

1705521115354.png

Zimm21

FNG
I was a big fan of the creepy thread that’s been going around on here, but wanted to expand this discussion beyond weird/creepy/paranormal. So what’s the coolest thing you’ve found?
Balloons. I u serfs and how they get there but for some reason it’s still creepy to me