What's your choice for a bonded bullet for a 30 caliber?

IDShane

WKR
I am thinking about loading some bullets for an upcoming Moose hunt this fall. I had a post earlier for what bullets to use for this hunt with various results. I had a few friends that returned from Africa this past weekend and a couple of them complained about the lack of terminal performance from ELDX factory loads. They shot 17 animals in the group with the ELDX shot animals taking multiple shots. These guys are very seasoned shooters so I am rethinking my use of ELDX for this hunt. I would like to try the Federal Terminal Ascent but it appears as though these are pretty tough to come by. Another option might be the Nosler Accubond LR. Any input would be great thanks in advance.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
TTSX, Accubond, Partition or Swift A Frame. All of the ones you listed were “long range” bullets, which are generally softer bullets.

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
I do want something that can shoot up to and around 500 yards. The guy we are hunting with said there are a few spots that they need to shoot 500 ish yards.

Chad E

WKR
I've seen a lot of critters die to accubonds out of a variety of calibers out to and beyond 500. They are tough to find but hard to beat in my mind for a bonded bullet.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I do want something that can shoot up to and around 500 yards. The guy we are hunting with said there are a few spots that they need to shoot 500 ish yards.
If .30 Cal, means a magnum, any of the tougher bonded bullets will give good performance to 500 yards. A 200 grain Accubond would be awesome

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
The weight retention on ELD-X is not as great with bigger calibers under 400 yards. Even says this on their website. Max weight retention is at 400+.

Its about 1/3 of the way down the page. I've always had good luck with them at any range. I would agree with previous posts about partitions though.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Accubonds (not the LRAB) for 0 to 500 meter shots on game. I have used the 180gn Accubond at 300 Win velocities in Africa and Australia on a total of around 20 animals, all one shot kills. Average terminal range of about 350 meters. Only retained a couple of bullets, the rest have been passthroughs. Their BC is not great for real distance, but inside that 500 meter envelop, I think they are pretty tough to beat.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my moose last fall with a 180 gr accubond at 420 yards, from a 300 RUM. He didn’t make it 10 feet.
About a week later my buddy used my rifle, after issues with his. Close to same shot distance and moose went nowhere.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
180 grain would work great for that.
180 grain Accubond would be the "easy button"
Even the 180 grain Partition Spitzer would work great at these distances and under

Last edited:

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Like many have said....accubonds, Sciroccos are my favorite.

Here are 200gr ab that I dug out of my 8.5ft mtn grizz....

Because of the white tips, my guide thought they were some sort of target bullet and soft. I assured him I had used them out of my 300rum on previous hunts for moose and mtn goat, and that they were bonded, and wold hold together.

After the fact he was a believer..ELDX are just cup and core, and give cup and core performance. Great on paper, personally, I'd never use them on a hunt where time and money are on the line.

Good deer bullets...

20190611_211046.jpg20190611_210814.jpg