What's Your Elk Hunting Weakness?

RP50

FNG
Def being stuck in the Midwest! Get 7-9 days to spend out West every year. 25 hour drive to this years elk camp, scouting is almost impossible except for digital.

1) Experience. Been coaching Little League football for the last decade which means there is never more than 2 days in a row off Aug-Oct. So simply couldn't make Elk hunting happen.

2) Time. Only have 8 total days, and 2 of those will be lost to driving.

First year getting to Archery hunt Elk after years of dreaming. Going to make the most of it by backpacking in. Hunting sun-up to sun-down so I don't miss a moment.

That’s what a solar shower bag or a dunk in the cold ass creek is for 🤣 My Buddy for years refused to jump in the creeks. Too cold he said. I always told him it only hurts for a few seconds and then it all goes numb. The mid day lull is a perfect time to take a dunk. Finally broke him down last year and now he agrees it’s the best thing ever 😀
Baby wipes just like we did in Afghanistan. What a shit hole.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
1) Experience. Been coaching Little League football for the last decade which means there is never more than 2 days in a row off Aug-Oct. So simply couldn't make Elk hunting happen.

2) Time. Only have 8 total days, and 2 of those will be lost to driving.

First year getting to Archery hunt Elk after years of dreaming. Going to make the most of it by backpacking in. Hunting sun-up to sun-down so I don't miss a moment.
Do you mean this coming year will be your first bow hunt? Just curious because I have an insane schedule like you and could only go 8 days this year. If that is the case if within your means take a 2 day scout trip. Not only to scout for animals, but the terrain and logistics for the area. Just a tip. Something I wish I had done last season.

- I absolutely hate getting up when its still dark out.
- Going balls to the wall scouting on our first day in the mountains, which is usually a day before season starts.
- The last weakness is probably the worst. Staring at maps for 11 months picking out all these great spots that are "only" a couple of inches from where our camp will be. It's amazing, I do it every year LOL.

Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings. With that means I rarely if ever hunt all day, I just flat out get to antsy & bored! (grin) My goto time is daylight till 1pm.

What's yours?

ElkNut
Work… I absolutely hate working in September 😏 I don’t have to much, but there are usually a handful of days I’m needed…

Like I always have said, I’ve never had a job I wasn’t willing to quit in September… luckily I work with some solid dudes who know me and the importance of September to me.

As far as my shortcomings in hunting itself, that changes day to day, and of course am my worst critic. I make mistakes every year (several) but probably the one thing I know I need to change is making plans based too much on pressure… if I see an area getting beat up for days in a row, it takes away my desire to check it when there are no people, and I need to get over that

I don’t know how many times I’ve walked into such area and got right into good action like there hasn’t been a person in there all season. Worrying about where people have been seems like a pointless exercise… always makes me wonder what all of the people parked there all week were doing, how are there elk still in here and seemingly unpressured?

I know better, but it’s still hard to go into an area that has seemingly had a lot of recent pressure

I’m surprised to hear you say that Paul. Morning hunts or so often based on where you left off the night before. I don’t care if I kill a bowl in the evening, I just like to know where they’re at. I do know that you, Paul Junior, and Clayton are out there in the middle of the night locating. Maybe that has something to do with it. Grin.

My weakness is responsibilities. Other than being a little overweight, which I make up for with my mental toughness, the problem is limited time. Other than that, I hunt dark to dark, and then some every day.