What's Your Elk Hunting Weakness?

Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings. With that means I rarely if ever hunt all day, I just flat out get to antsy & bored! (grin) My goto time is daylight till 1pm.

What's yours?

ElkNut
I’m shocked to hear thst Paul. I know you locate elk at night. When I’m hunting evenings I don’t really care about killing. I’m setting myself up for the next morning.

My weakness is living 2000 miles away. Lol My other weakness is being 5’6” tall. It takes a lot of footsteps to climb a mountain! 😆

Gerbdog

WKR
Hiking long before daylight and being willing to hike out long after daylight... i do it.... but i dread it... too much deadfall to bust a leg on where i hunt

Beendare

WKR
For a long time I was too aggressive.

I didn't realize those elk can pattern your footsteps from hundreds of yards away. They can see through the timber and spot movement in thick stuff where we need binos to see them.

I was too aggressive and leaned on calling to much...still am a little.

I've yet to kill one in the morning. Though I've had opportunities. Seems subconsciously i like packing at night for some reason. I have alot of weaknesses I'm still working on. My biggest weakness is blowing opportunities yearly. And there have been years I've only had 1 opportunity. Those are the years when you blow it, you really blew it

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Joe, my night calling is generally done an hour before light till after daylight. Yes, there are many days I will venture up to a glassing area for fun, I do not consider that hunting. When I'm actually hunting I cover ground & do quite a bit of calling as well as a variety of setups. Sitting in one spot to glass is relaxing. I guess I have a different definition of hunting than some! (grin)

ElkNut

It’s hard for me to dedicate the time these days with kids and work and such. I’m usually a weekend warrior and maybe a week off in September. I would love to get back to having the whole archery season off. Same this year I will have 8 days in Wyoming and a few weekends in Idaho… gonna be a good time!

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Staying in one GMU too many years. I am older and my hunting years are dwindling. This unit is steep and rugged but I just don't have time to earn points to hunt elsewhere and living 1100 miles away prevents the opportunity to try to scout other GMU's. This unit went draw a few years back and I know it pretty well now. Kind of stuck. I will be lucky to physically make it another 3-4 years.

I also hunt all day, everyday, for 9 days. I can't kill one in camp or sleeping.
just curious, what unit in what state? Feel free to PM if you dont want to post it.

Aside from drawing a tag the biggest headache is only being able to hunt them for about a week straight. I prefer to hunt elk for 14 days boots on the ground.

Slugz

WKR
Situational awareness when a bull is moaning or lite bugling from his bed.
I have a hard time mentally slowing down even more. Times when I realized he was content and slow playing me and I started to slow play him, usually resulted in a 30 yard enounter with a bull staring me down.

In that same scenario. Staying behind a tree longer than I think when making the approach. Staying on my butt and just peering around the corner with binos looking for an ear flick or antler tine moving.

Time and Patience.. Only getting to hunt elk 1-2 weeks a season and I always have that doubt that I am spending too much time in one area.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I gave elk an honest try. I spent 13 years straight pursuing rutting elk in September with some success and it took me that long to realize I can't stand hunting them. I just got tired of the style of game they play. It was always something else getting in the way between the big bull and myself, a low percentage hunt to me. I don't hunt them anymore. It's hard to be really good at a lot of things so I just focus on what I love and value the most and that's big mule deer.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings. With that means I rarely if ever hunt all day, I just flat out get to antsy & bored! (grin) My goto time is daylight till 1pm.

What's yours?

ElkNut
Weakness? What is that?