What's Your Elk Hunting Weakness?

My biggest weakness is a juicy cow elk broadside at 20 yards. I love eating elk and I'm running outta room on the walls for bulls.

I90west

FNG
Knowing when to be patience versus aggressive. Seems like we have a couple of opportunities that are blown from being to aggressive and not letting the situation play out. Then the next day let an opportunity slip by because of not being aggressive enough. It’s balancing act that I still haven’t perfected.

wweaver

FNG
Spending the time to really get good with diaphragm calls. Sure you can get a bull to stop when you want a shot but the situational calls and not making the wrong or bad cow/calf sound at the wrong time. I have been trying to practice in the truck as much as possible to not annoy people and dogs.
And getting in shape early. Not waiting until the last 3/4 weeks to hit it hard— I know it won’t be enough every year but it still happens then you regret those first four or five days until you hike yourself into shape.

In the past, not being aggressive enough and not bugling enough to locate bulls. That has changed for me over time. I now do alot more "location" bugles and stopped tip toeing through the mountains afraid to make noise. Hell, elk are noisy animals, too. Can't kill them if you can't find them. Oh, forgot to mention stay off main roads and trails where most recreational users and hunters frequent.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of all the different possible scenarios and not being content with the game plan for the day. I’m constantly second guessing my plans and wanting the “best” possible setup, particularly archery season while solo hunting. I love the mind game of elk hunting, but need to be better about enjoying the process