What's your favorite lightweight tent??

tttoadman

WKR
How bout the copper spur in semi heavy wind in open country?

I got in trouble a couple times with my CS2 in heavy winds and snow. I really loved it, but I ended up getting rid of it for the steeper center pole type of tent. I hunt OCT and NOV only. I think I was asking more than it was designed to do because I liked it so much.

robtattoo

WKR
I haven't used it yet, but I'm loving the weight/price/value aspect of the Mountainsmith LT2
My first thought is to order a pair of carbon poles from Z-Packs & have a stand alone shelter, under 2lb & WELL under $200
It's currently away getting a stove Jack installed, but I'm guessing it's going to be my ideal early season/summer camping tent.

My first love, however, will always be my Golite SL5. It's a freaking palace! If I know the weather is guaranteed to be great, I'm a big fan of just using the nest sans fly.

ljalberta

WKR
I also use a Hubba Hubba for backpacking with the wife. It's fantastic for what it is, but I wouldn't consider it lightweight compared to other options these days. The good = easy/quick setup and takedown, great ventilation, symmetrical shape, 2 doors, and pretty good headspace - about 39" if I remember correctly. The bad = almost 4 lbs and cheap stakes/not a ton of guyline cordage (both easily remedied). If I was grabbing a new 3 season tent though, the new Copper Spur HV (high volume) would need a good look. That thing looks SPACIOUS.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I was grabbing a new 3 season tent though, the new Copper Spur HV (high volume) would need a good look. That thing looks SPACIOUS.

Looking at the specs BA has listed, I'd take the regular UL's over their HV's every day of the week. For instance......almost identical weight (1oz difference in the UL2), head height 42" in the UL2 and 40" in the HV, foot height is 22" in UL2 and 15" in the HV, with the same square footage. I don't know what math they're using, but these appear to have less volume.

ljalberta

WKR
Looking at the specs BA has listed, I'd take the regular UL's over their HV's every day of the week. For instance......almost identical weight (1oz difference in the UL2), head height 42" in the UL2 and 40" in the HV, foot height is 22" in UL2 and 15" in the HV, with the same square footage. I don't know what math they're using, but these appear to have less volume.

Interesting. I didn't even see those listed specs. A couple early previews piqued my interest along with this video that seems to make the HV looks like it better utilizes the tent space. Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 vs. Copper Spur HV UL2 (Preview) - YouTube I guess I'll have to check the HV out in person sometime.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Picked up a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Mtnglo, seems perfect . I doubt I'll ever get into the floor less hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
I like my copper sour UL2. By buddy had the UL3. Very small weight penalty for the extra room.

oldgoat

WKR
I have two tents, so they are my favorite! The TiGoat Vertrex 5 is sub two pounds I think and is what I use for solo trips, and it will handle a stove. Sawtooth is what I'm using when it's me and the wife, but might use the TiGoat for warmer weather scouting with her.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
So for myself I use my BA copper spur UL 2 it's awesome for one guy and some gear! Love having 2 vestibules as well to store gear, boots etc... If I have the wife and dog with me, we use our Marmot limelite 3. Love this tent! It's a bit heavier, but definitely still pack able for the 3 of us..

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I got a MSR HubbaHubba for 40$ at a REI scratch and dent sake about 6-7 years ago. Used it alot and thru some really bad storms by superior. It is a 3season tent. Not good for extreme cold.

jmez

WKR
TarpTent makes several different 2 man models. Light weight, reasonably priced and very high quality.

I really like my Tarp tent Strato s pie 2. Weighs 2.9 lbs., 2 doors, I use my trekking poles to save weight, has a floor and bugscreen. You can actually sleep 3 if needed so very roomy both length, width and height and has 2 large vestibules. I've tried a couple others and like this by far.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I really like my Tarp tent Strato s pie 2. Weighs 2.9 lbs., 2 doors, I use my trekking poles to save weight, has a floor and bugscreen. You can actually sleep 3 if needed so very roomy both length, width and height and has 2 large vestibules. I've tried a couple others and like this by far.

That's Stratospire.....hate spell checker!

Beendare

WKR
I use an old Henry Shires Tarptent Cloudburst 2 man.....2 1/2# complete for a tent, vestibule with floor and bug net.....plus its longer than many of the others.

Compare the made in USA HS stuff to the cheap Chinese BA type stuff and you can tell the difference in quality.

Edit; I'm not 100% sure but I think the Tarptents are still made here in the US

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
So I ended up buying a BA UL2, Tarptent Protrail and Bowfin and a Six Moons Luna. This summer we will see what one wins out for a lightweight scouting setup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hunthigh1

WKR
So I ended up buying a BA UL2, Tarptent Protrail and Bowfin and a Six Moons Luna. This summer we will see what one wins out for a lightweight scouting setup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Would love to see you do a write up on the comparison sand final choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk