What’s your nemesis?

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
My %#&$@!! Knees. Had surgery on the right one in 2010 and need surgery on the left one now.
And I’m only 26.
And I didn’t play competitive sports.

Doesn’t keep me out of the mountains but it definitely makes me be much more cautious on the routes I take!

I had surgery on both of mine BEFORE I was 18! So yea, thats my nemesis as well!

After 45+ days of hunting Brown Bears on Kodiak (2x) and the AK Pen with nothing but memories to show for it, I'd say that would be my current nemesis. Had I used a rifle or lessened my standards, this would not be the case...but it is and I'll continue trying.

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Also a major animal nemesis is a coyote with the recurve. I have missed 4 and have yet to even draw blood.

Tree stand whitetail bucks. I’ve killed a few off the ground but haven’t ever really had good one come by within shooting range of my stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dano626

FNG
Applying for other states/Hunting out of state......Unfortunately I havent had any friends that want to get out of state. Only hunt our local zone. I guess that has held me back and wife isnt comfortable with me going solo.

Mythewood

FNG
Was Mtn lion. I'd been on four prior hunts with some heavy hitters and never even came across a fresh track.
Literally 10 minutes into my 5th we turned the dogs out on a track and in 2 hrs the jinx was lifted.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 47
Bears! I repel them. The amount of time and likely thousand+ miles I’ve covered in bear country (griz and black), it is insane I haven’t ran across a few (that I’ve seen anyways). I’m in game rich areas as well, way more often than not I get what I’m after, unless it’s a bear!

*I’ll reference this post at a future date if I get mauled for y’all’s amusement

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I have plenty of nemesis as well. But as far as game goes, I am going to have to go with Mt. Lion. I have been to AZ dry ground hunting, on horseback, with hounds for 15 days. 3 separate trips of 5 days each. We cold trailed one for a little while on my last day of the third hunt. I need to get back and try again.

okcaveman

FNG
I find it crazy some of you guys on here can live out of a backpack for a week in a glorified tarp drink water from a stream and pack an animal 4 miles out but cant kill a turkey haha. They have their days . Many of times set up on them just to watch them strut away 70 yards out.

Mine is a mature whitetail . 130-140 inches is what they cap out around here it seems .
A 130-140 can be a mature whitetail. Ive got several deer that age between 4.5 and 7.5, and the scores range from 108 to 132. Not everywhere produces big racks, but thats different than old deer.

My nemesis just seems to be out of state western hunts. Public land whitetail i can do, but ive been after elk twice and mule deer twice. Never seen a legal elk when elk hunting, and only 1 legal mule deer when deer hunting. But, if i have a elk tag i see big muleys, and vice versa

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya. Damn turkeys.

Mule deer with a bow has been a challenge, but the winds of change are turning, I can feel it!

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
My nemesis has always been people that are intolerant of other people's culture and the Dutch.

Or maybe really good beer. One is one too many and one more is never enough.

Killing a mature whitetail on my own property. Not only did I buy the property and pay the annual taxes, I work hard year round maintaining roads, trails, etc., and put tens of thousands of dollars over 20+ years on the property. We generally have average to below average genes in the area and no agriculture, but we have taken 3 really good bucks over that 20 year period. All 3 of them were taken by a relative or friend of mine, who came for 1 single sit that year, and I put them in my personal climbing stand on a place I had scouted.

But on the other hand, this is actually one of the main reasons I started getting into western style hunting.....where you have to actually put in the time and effort to be successful vs just showing up and being lucky.

Last edited:
Right now it’s hunting Mt Caribou with my bow. 7 hunts so far, no Mt Caribou with the bow yet. That said it took many DIY hunts to get a CO bighorn and a BC Stone with the bow. BC grizzly was a tough one too. So there is hope on the Mt Caribou! And heck, I’m having great fun hunting them!

Finally arrowed a DIY BC Mt Caribou...69th day of bowhunting them here. Got a young bull in a LEH draw area a few weeks ago. Pack out was 3 trips loaded with camp and meat for a total of 50 km loaded....hard work but great eating. Buddy shot one with his rifle a couple days earlier as well so ended up spending 5 days packing them out.

AKDoc

WKR
I live in hunting heaven...have been for over thirty years, and I am an active hunter. I say that humbly without arrogance, as it is truly a wonder for a farm-boy raised in the midwest to live the adventures that I have and continue to live. I've hunted everything up here except muskox and bison. From Kodiak for mountain goats and blacktails (as well as SE and PWS), interior caribou, spring black bears on snow-slides, interior grizzly and coastal browns to annual harvest of a moose for the family and friends, I have harvested.

My nemesis has been/is a Dahl's sheep ram. My interest in a ram came later in life. My adult daughter and I hunted for one together for several years...she had already gotten her first moose with me. We always had fun together, and that was the true reward of those hunts. That said, we never saw a legal ram, but I have to qualify that I am SUPER careful and VERY conservative in my estimate of a full-curl. In all honestly, it would have to be a one and a half curl for me to even say "maybe"!! However, like I said, the true reward was being with my daughter out there hunting.

So, I take it back...a Dahl's sheep ram has not been a nemesis, but rather a wonderful opportunity to hunt with my daughter in the mountains.

Russp17

WKR
Sweet! There are a lot of 30”+ bows in that system, but they’ve eluded me there as well.
2aaea51234e23e1e569096b845f5b9aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice fish I got my first 30 last week. (lots of 27-29s in the last 10 years but 30 had evaded me.

Attachments

• big fish.jpg
    big fish.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 16