When do you start putting out for CO Elk?

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought a couple decent trail cans to put in the elk woods but never got around to it because I didn't feel I could secure them and then I didn't want to put them up one week and go get them the next because I didn't have the funds to waste on gas. This year my brother and dad are coming out to hunt with me for the first time. ( have been talking about this hunt since I was little and never came together until this year).

I hunted this area last year and should have had a bull. I know it has great potential so I want to see what's all around there.

When do you usually (average date) start putting your trail cams up and how often do you go check them? It will be about a 6 hour round trip driving and at least a 3 mile hike back in then obviously a 3 mile hike back out so I was thinking maybe check it every other week or possibly leave them up for 3 weeks? I would rather not spook them out so was wondering what other people do.
Thanks, Craig

I won't be heartbroken if I don't put cameras up as I love being surprised too :) and that way I won't be holding out for the perfect bull.... That's what I do for whitetails which is why I actually bought the cameras..

well I don't hunt colorado but for me I usually get mine out by around the 4th of july and check them maybe twice before season.

I'm new to the site, just found it this week. I just started using trail cams for elk last year. I put them up late June and checked them every 2 to 3 weeks. I got a lot of deer, moose, and coyotes early on. I didn't get my first elk pics until July 23, but once I started getting them they became more and more regular until by Aug. 30, the opening of archery season in Idaho, I had over 25 bulls coming into my wallows. Same thing this year, only deer, moose and coyotes so far. Going to swap memory cards again this weekend.

I swapped out memory cards this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see 4 bull elk so far. One of them looks close to being topped out, but I think he may add a little more tine length. The photos of the big bull were on July 3rd and his points were still rounded rather than pointed. I'd be thrilled if he puts on another 10 to 15"!

Attachments

• EK000021.jpg
    EK000021.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • EK000020.jpg
    EK000020.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
  • EK000019.jpg
    EK000019.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 14
  • EK000029.jpg
    EK000029.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 14

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'll preface by saying this is the first year I have used trail cameras and am still learning. With that said, I put my 2 cameras out on 4th of July weekend. I had some time the following weekend to check them and see what kind of activity I was seeing, so I took the opportunity to check the cameras. I had over 100+ pics (elk, deer and moose) on each of the cameras in a one week time with hardly any false positives. I'll likely let them sit until the Colorado opener (end of August) and pic up the cameras when I am back to see what time the elk are frequenting my honey hole.

Set one up on a wallow and the other camera on a trail. Here are some pictures (ignore time stamp on one of the cameras-I forgot to set it up the first weekend).

charvey9

WKR
Any more I have trail cameras up year round, and check them with varying frequency. It gives me something to do any time of the year, and checking trail cameras is better than Christmas morning...no matter what time of year it is. Its really cool to see the antler growth and from beginning to end and see when they start dropping. I have a total of 7 cameras out right now, but they are pretty much spread out across the entire state of Oregon. 3 in my coast range spot, 3 in the cascades, and 1 in Eastern, OR where I'll spend my week of elk hunting this year. It seems that rather than taking any of them down and moving around, I just add a new one every few months.

Not sure of the regs in CO, but throw out some salt if you can. A 4lb block won't last long once the elk find it, but it will keep them coming back to paw at the ground long after its gone.

I use the energizer rechargeable batteries on cameras that I check more regularly, and the ultimate lithium batteries in cameras that may be out there for a long time. I currently have one camera that has been going over a year on the same batteries and has probably got me somewhere around 12,000 pictures.

In 4 years I've only had one camera stolen off public land. I recommend these EZ-Aim tree mounts for the cameras. They are far less visible than the straps that go around the entire tree. I have had people walk right by my camera and not know it was there. If you are really concerned about theft, pack a few of the screw-in tree steps and use them to climb up and mount the camera about 10' up in the tree pointed down toward the trail. This does limit the field of view somewhat, but deters all but the most determined would-be thieves. Just remember to take the steps with you when you go to check the camera.

http://slateriverllc.myshopify.com/products/ezaim

Last edited: