Where to cut budget?

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Idk what cartel everyone hunting the mountains works for, but dang, this is getting expensive for a union man...

Anyway, joking aside, I may have a trip to Wyoming in 2024 and I'm looking at building a layering system. Mid October which I'm understanding is a rough time of year because you have to be ready to tan and to freeze.

My base layers are pretty dialed. I have some UA and First Lite, so I'm pretty good on base layers.

Been shopping mid/top layers and dang... just dang... They're pretty proud of that Sitka gear.

Trying to think in terms of where you'd shave dollars for what might be a one time trip?

Better to buy a higher end top layer and a cheaper mid layer or vise-versa?

Bump79

WKR
Black Ovis/Camofire gear is top notch for the price. Highly recommend. Outdoor Research makes really nice stuff, Wrangler outdoor pants, check out Steep and Cheap, etc.

Pnuma 3L is excellent for western lighter weight rain gear but is some of the most quite shell for whitetail. They have it in their outlet section on their website & has been on Camofire too. I use it extensively out west and in Kentucky now.

TxLite

WKR
+1 for watching the classifieds. You can find so great deals on lightly used or new gear.

yfarm

WKR
Ebay. Hunting in Wy and NM my ACU ebay camo often outperforms the pricey stuff. Was hunting in the rocks of northern NM last week and my son found me near invisible from afar in Cabelas outfitter camo. Have migrated toward olive or brown solid color. Motion or noise is what triggers animals not your camo in a black and white world. Stop feeding the machine that is altering the activity in a negative way.

I almost solely buy my stuff used, spread out over a number of years and the cost isn’t all that great. You can also supplement a lot of that by selling the things you don’t use or need anymore.

Wrench

WKR
The first lite sawtooth and llano are about the only two name brand pieces that I would not try to improve on.

I stalked to within 12 yards of a whitetail buck wearing $23 wrangler outdoor pants.

Rain gear is one where it really doesn't matter if it's yellow or the latest fad camo....you're not going to be quiet and they are handicapped by the environment already.

Ralphie

WKR
The first thing to realize is the fancy hunting brands are marketing companies first.

Lined and unlined wrangler hiking pants. Swiss tech puffy, condor grid fleece. Gloves from a farm store. There are other “cheap” options too. I bought a high quality down parka on close out one spring for $80. Not a hunting brand.

Bump79

WKR
There's a thread on here that's something like "cheap stuff that works" or something like that. It's the best thread on Rokslide.

I'd echo most of the above responses.

Sales, solids, some used stuff. I do a lot of other stuff in my "hunting gear" and lots of my hunting gear isn't from hunting companies.

But base layers and outer layers are where I'm most willing to spend money and pickiest. Mid layer stuff I just don't think is as important. It's "just a layer"

The stuff on my skin, and the barrier to the elements are the most important to me.

Bump79

WKR
I'd echo most of the above responses.

Sales, solids, some used stuff. I do a lot of other stuff in my "hunting gear" and lots of my hunting gear isn't from hunting companies.

But base layers and outer layers are where I'm most willing to spend money and pickiest. Mid layer stuff I just don't think is as important. It's "just a layer"

The stuff on my skin, and the barrier to the elements are the most important to me.
Agreed. There are so many good fleeces out there that don't cost an arm & a leg that perform this function well.

wyosteve

WKR
Until about 2005, all my hunting gear was from Cabela's bargain cave or army/navy surplus. Killed lots of critters with that wardrobe!