Where to cut budget?

Agreed. There are so many good fleeces out there that don't cost an arm & a leg that perform this function well.
The Columbia one I bought on clearance for like $5 probably 10 years ago has filled the role great!

Got it to replace a Sam's one that a bird dog destroyed.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Idk what cartel everyone hunting the mountains works for, but dang, this is getting expensive for a union man...

Anyway, joking aside, I may have a trip to Wyoming in 2024 and I'm looking at building a layering system. Mid October which I'm understanding is a rough time of year because you have to be ready to tan and to freeze.

My base layers are pretty dialed. I have some UA and First Lite, so I'm pretty good on base layers.

Been shopping mid/top layers and dang... just dang... They're pretty proud of that Sitka gear.

Trying to think in terms of where you'd shave dollars for what might be a one time trip?

Better to buy a higher end top layer and a cheaper mid layer or vise-versa?
Like another said, I’m sick of supporting hunting brands so I’m finding naturally colors ski/snowboarding gear. **** those guys

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
So, the "poke" at Sitka gear was a little tongue in cheek. I'm sure their stuff is awesome and all and maybe I'll invest in some. Not opposed to clearance rack stuff. My current cold weather mid layer are a pair of fleece "wader pants" my wife snagged on clearance at Walmart. They're so warm, they don't come out until it's stupid cold here.

Lemme bounce my thinking out here a little and get some feedback.

Like I said, my base layering system is pretty dialed so that is going with me for sure.

I'm slowly building wind resistance into my layering system, so adding a nice gore tex top and bottom top layer seems like a pretty versatile thing to have. Something I can wear from 50-60° by itself or with a light tee shirt down to frigid temps with layering. Same thinking with bottoms. A nice outer layer that I can build under for warmth as needed.

I think what would keep my from using my eastern layering system is the difference in how hunting is done. Here, we hike in, sit down and wait for the critters to show up for the most part, so dressing up like Ralphie in that stupid Christmas movie is normal. The activity level of western hunting is different and most of my layering isn't as suited to a lot of movement.

Or maybe I'm not giving my gear the credit it deserves. Obviously, I want to be prepared and it's such a new environment and style of hunting that I'm playing right into the marketing dudes that tell me without the newest cool kid tech, I'll die out there.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
There's a thread on here that's something like "cheap stuff that works" or something like that. It's the best thread on Rokslide.

I'm gonna give that thread a deep dive read when I get home and take notes. Thank you.

Bump79

WKR
I'm slowly building wind resistance into my layering system, so adding a nice gore tex top and bottom top layer seems like a pretty versatile thing to have. Something I can wear from 50-60° by itself or with a light tee shirt down to frigid temps with layering. Same thinking with bottoms. A nice outer layer that I can build under for warmth as needed.
It really depends on what you want for rain gear. This stuff can be found for $150 or less. Goretex (depending on the model) is stiff and noisy.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on what you want for rain gear. This stuff can be found for $150 or less. Goretex (depending on the model) is stiff and noisy.

Digging into specific brands, I've been looking into Pnuma as well as Nomad and Habit. All seem to be budget minded gear with decent performance.

I have some Nomad gear and it's pretty solid stuff, I just wish I'd put the extra cash into wind resistance.

I guess I'm using "gore tex" to describe all membrane fabrics in that type that block wind and water while allowing some moisture to escape. I know it's a specific brand, but I'm using more broadly.

If it's not a backpack hunt and a one time thing I think you could get away pretty inexpensive.

I have lots of high end gear. But clothing isn't something I spend much money on. I just bought 5 pairs of pants from Costco for $80. They are thin but dry extremely fast. I'll throw a layer under them and use them to 0* or so. If I'm sitting and glassing a ton I'll throw on my UA puffy pants. Got them extremely cheap on Black Friday a few years ago. They are heavier then I want for backpacking. But for day hunting they have been great for the price.

Top wise I got a couple Sitka Fanatics in black on sale around Xmas. I use that as my main layer. I got the UA puffy coat during the same Black Friday sale and it's been fine for day hunting. I have random fleece from Cabela's, Columbia, etc that I wear sometimes also.

Imo people spend way more on clothing then needed.

So, the "poke" at Sitka gear was a little tongue in cheek. I'm sure their stuff is awesome and all and maybe I'll invest in some. Not opposed to clearance rack stuff. My current cold weather mid layer are a pair of fleece "wader pants" my wife snagged on clearance at Walmart. They're so warm, they don't come out until it's stupid cold here.

Lemme bounce my thinking out here a little and get some feedback.

Like I said, my base layering system is pretty dialed so that is going with me for sure.

I think what would keep my from using my eastern layering system is the difference in how hunting is done. Here, we hike in, sit down and wait for the critters to show up for the most part, so dressing up like Ralphie in that stupid Christmas movie is normal. The activity level of western hunting is different and most of my layering isn't as suited to a lot of movement.

Or maybe I'm not giving my gear the credit it deserves. Obviously, I want to be prepared and it's such a new environment and style of hunting that I'm playing right into the marketing dudes that tell me without the newest cool kid tech, I'll die out there.
Your thinking through this correctly. Leave the insulated bibs at home for PA whitetail sits and bring more "technical" style tops and pants with long underwear. Avoid cotton socks (get a few pairs of merino Darn Tough over the calf heavy cushion hunting socks and thank me later) and underlayers and invest in either merino or sythetic. Merino will keep you warm even when its wet with sweat, but you need a wam, dry, place to dry it out for the next hunt. Merino can also be worn several times before it starts to stink. Synthetic doesn't have the same insulating properties, but dries out much faster. However, synthetic does tend to trap odors worse than wool.

I hunted the Big Horns last fall in mid-October for 8 days. The first couple days it was in the 40-50s and then it dumped a foot of snow that remained the remainder of our 6 days of hunting. The temps. also dropped into single digits at nights and teens/low 20s during the day. The one thing I would recommend (that I didn't have) is a packable puffy coat, super warm hat, and extra warm glomits or mittens, for glassing sessions. Ditch them when you're moving around, but have them in your kit if you're going to be out for days at a time. Also, if you don't have any yet, get some trekking poles. My buddies had these and I didn't, and for steep inclines/declines both they are clutch and save a lot of wear and tear on the body.

Good luck!

Spend $ on good boots. You can cut in other places but boots are the one thing that makes a good hunt better and will take you places to find game.
💯 and make sure they're broken in before the trip.

If you're staying in a camper, hotel, cabin, bring 2 pairs of boots. If you're putting in long days, they will be sweated out, and having a spare pair to let the other dry out is nice. Last fall I alternated between a pair of Crispi West River and some cheap RedHeads from years ago. I put around 40 miles on my Crispis before we left IA.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider

Digging into specific brands, I've been looking into Pnuma as well as Nomad and Habit. All seem to be budget minded gear with decent performance.

I have some Nomad gear and it's pretty solid stuff, I just wish I'd put the extra cash into wind resistance.

I guess I'm using "gore tex" to describe all membrane fabrics in that type that block wind and water while allowing some moisture to escape. I know it's a specific brand, but I'm using more broadly.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Your thinking through this correctly. Leave the insulated bibs at home for PA whitetail sits and bring more "technical" style tops and pants with long underwear. Avoid cotton socks (get a few pairs of merino Darn Tough over the calf heavy cushion hunting socks and thank me later) and underlayers and invest in either merino or sythetic. Merino will keep you warm even when its wet with sweat, but you need a wam, dry, place to dry it out for the next hunt. Merino can also be worn several times before it starts to stink. Synthetic doesn't have the same insulating properties, but dries out much faster. However, synthetic does tend to trap odors worse than wool.

I hunted the Big Horns last fall in mid-October for 8 days. The first couple days it was in the 40-50s and then it dumped a foot of snow that remained the remainder of our 6 days of hunting. The temps. also dropped into single digits at nights and teens/low 20s during the day. The one thing I would recommend (that I didn't have) is a packable puffy coat, super warm hat, and extra warm glomits or mittens, for glassing sessions. Ditch them when you're moving around, but have them in your kit if you're going to be out for days at a time. Also, if you don't have any yet, get some trekking poles. My buddies had these and I didn't, and for steep inclines/declines both they are clutch and save a lot of wear and tear on the body.

Good luck!
The "puffy" thing is what I'm struggling with a little.

When I need more warm, I reach for a midlayer and put that on under what I'd call a soft shell layer.

I have a super warm down puffy unless my wife gave it away. Just always thought it was too fragile for hunting. I guess if you're just sitting wearing it, durability isn't critical.

Spoonbill

WKR
The "puffy" thing is what I'm struggling with a little.

When I need more warm, I reach for a midlayer and put that on under what I'd call a soft shell layer.

I have a super warm down puffy unless my wife gave it away. Just always thought it was too fragile for hunting. I guess if you're just sitting wearing it, durability isn't critical.
A puffy and a rain jacket will help keep you warm when sitting and glassing. If you are worried about tearing your puffy at home (or your wife got rid of it) you can get the puffy @PNWGATOR mentioned or wait for a sale at eddie bauer, steep and cheap etc.

I have had a first lite uncomphagre jacket that I bought on sale years ago. Its been great for hunting as either a heavy layer or a midlayer in Idaho. Not sure how the 2.0 compares but I like the original version.
a neck gaiter helps with staying warm too.

wnelson14

WKR
Steep & Cheap, Backcountry.com, CamoFire, Rei, Go hunt, Kuiu Outlet, Sitka Outlet. Pretty easy to find non or hunting items at a discount around sale time/ Blackfriday or a little patience and elbow grease.

Looking like im squared away on the puffy, too. Still hanging in the closet. It's blue, but it's warm.

Probably going to look at a more "technical" jacket or hoodie and try to sort pants out.
Base layer, some kind of grid fleece, puffy and rain jacket are about all you’ll need for 95% of situations. Hike cold and puffy to warm up when you get to where you’re going. Rain jacket if it’s real windy.