Where would you go out East?

I'm a newbie to this site but it seems safe to say the majority of members are westerners and those who want to come out west to hunt. Fair enough. But for those western residents, if you were given the opportunity to go on any hunt (or fishing trip) you want east of the Mississippi, what would it be?

Myself, and partly because I grew up in New York, I think about going on a canoe-based deer hunt in the Adirondacks. Also a duck hunt on the shores of the St. Lawrence River (I think in Canada you can still hunt from a sink box?).

What would you do? Think of this as an opportunity to turn the tables on all those hunters from back east to cough up THEIR hunting spots!

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
If youre interested in sink boxes, you can still hunt red heads and other divers out of them on the coast in NC. Haven't done it, but know many who have and it seems like a ball. Limits aren't like those in Canada, but would be a fun hunt. Could also have a day or two hunting impoundments in the same area to get after pintails and teal.

elkyinzer

WKR
A lot of truly world class fishing opportunities around the great lakes. The hunting, I'm not sure there's much worth traveling from afar for that sort of person that only seeks out the best of the best. Not bad hunting but more of a local tradition than trying to impress. The Inches = dollars is taking hold around these parts. But I mostly appreciate what I have out my back door. We have mountains and room to roam.

Last edited:
There's great duck hunting in Maryland. Pennsylvania has an incredible amount of public land and has great deer all over the state. The new York Adirondack hunt is something very similar to what me and a friend were talking about doing. The deer up there are very low density though. Maine moose would be a good one to look into.

Mosby

WKR
Great fly fishing streams in Central PA. A quail hunt down south over a couple of pointers would be fun. I used to go to Maine for two weeks every summer and fish for land locked salmon and go rafting near Moosehead Lake. I hunt deer in PA most years but I would probably do a quail hunt in Georgia if I was looking for something different.

OP
H
A lot of truly world class fishing opportunities around the great lakes.... The Inches = dollars is taking hold around these parts. But I mostly appreciate what I have out my back door....
I've heard and seen videos of fly fishing for steelhead out of Erie and the rest... man, I could get used to that. Yes, you should appreciate what you have. I miss hunting deer in the second growth hardwoods.

Not sure I'm sure what you mean by "Inches = Dollars taking hold"?

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
As an Ohio resident I think you would be hard pressed to beat the walleye and perch fishing on Lake Erie in late September/early October and truly amazing bow hunting within 45min of the lake

I live in MA north of Boston and chase some great bucks close to home, I usually see one or two 150 class bucks per year and have killed one and found a few in the 160’s over the years. I do a lot of canoe hunting in the salt marsh during muzzleloader season. I fish out of Cape Ann I can be catching 50 lb striped bass a few minutes from the dock or 800 lb tuna after a short steam. It’s very good fishing and hunting and I don’t have to go far for either

WKR

WKR
I've heard and seen videos of fly fishing for steelhead out of Erie and the rest... man, I could get used to that. Yes, you should appreciate what you have. I miss hunting deer in the second growth hardwoods.

Not sure I'm sure what you mean by "Inches = Dollars taking hold"?
Think he means trophy fees, the bigger the antlers the more you pay

Great fly fishing streams in Central PA. A quail hunt down south over a couple of pointers would be fun. I used to go to Maine for two weeks every summer and fish for land locked salmon and go rafting near Moosehead Lake. I hunt deer in PA most years but I would probably do a quail hunt in Georgia if I was looking for something different.

i just was up fishing the moose river two weekends ago it’s an awesome area

WKR

WKR
I'd like to duck hunt somewhere on the eastern flyway, maybe Maryland so I could take a shot at those weird little Sika deer.

Mosby

WKR
i just was up fishing the moose river two weekends ago it’s an awesome area
Maine is one of the most underrated place in the US. LL Bean used to be open 24 hours and they used to have a great sale once a year on all their return items. That was back when they used to make and sell decent outdoor gear. Their small game pants were money. Like Cabela's, it is more of a women's clothing store now.

Have a lot of great memories in Maine. I need to go back there one of these days.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Arkansas green timber duck hunting, crappie fishing the Corps lakes in Mississippi, and a layout diver hunt up in the Great Lakes. Those are all on the to-do list, a sink box hunt in Canada would be awesome as well.

Maine is one of the most underrated place in the US. LL Bean used to be open 24 hours and they used to have a great sale once a year on all their return items. That was back when they used to make and sell decent outdoor gear. Their small game pants were money. Like Cabela's, it is more of a women's clothing store now.

Have a lot of great memories in Maine. I need to go back there one of these days.

ive been going every spring pretty much my entire life with my grandfather my dad and brother, Our ritual was stop at LL Bean buy some flies and get breakfast at McDonalds which was an old fire station, last year I got to take my kids up with the old man it was pretty awesome. We usually stay in Rockwood and fish the moose River, it can be hit or miss due to flows but when it’s good it can be tremendous. I went alone this year It was my Father’s Day present and I met an old timer up there that invited me back up to his camp to deer hunt which I’ve never done out of state. I’ve always wanted to deer hunt up there but always get to distracted chasing local deer to make the trip up north. I hope to make it up there in the next year or so to hunt

Azone

WKR
Interesting topic. Being a Left Coaster who has only been as far east as Dotsero, Co I have always been curious about what kinda of adventures can be had in the north east and along the Atlantic. The north east has always fascinated me in a sense that it’s so different from the rolling oak hills and sage in my neck of the woods. Going on a whitetail hunt that doesn’t involve swap donkey or peanut bucker products sounds like fun. I will definitely be following this thread. Is nonresident moose in the north east even possible, never looked into it so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Haha pretty much man, I put my son in a month after he was born so he’s got 3 my daughter has 4 I have 5. In ten years or so we’ll start actually having a chance to draw

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I would go anywhere to bowhunt big whitetails. A few hotbed states come to mind - but anywhere 150+ type bucks are likely to be seen, sign me up. I've never had the opportunity to hunt whitetails in the rut or sit in a tree to do so.

Spoonbill

WKR
A cast and blast in the boundary waters would be fun. Not sure if this is even doable, but the idea of canoeing around fishing and shooting birds is enticing. There are some wilderness areas in east Texas and Arkansas that would be fun to go on a hog/deer hunt in.