Which broadhead are you guys using?

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, nothing wrong with using a high quality BH...everyone chooses to spend their money differently.

These forums are here to get exposed to other ideas that work or have worked..or in the case of cheap heads like a Zwicky and others that have killed more critters than just about any other head.

So go for it and spend the money on good heads -no problem...but if you are doing it because you think they work a lot better- nope, they don't.

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the Magnus Killer Bee 150 gr.
Tough as hell, fly like darts. They're a solid head. Lifetime warranty replacement.
My head of choice. Though not an elk hunter, they will serve you well.

Jon_G

WKR
There's good reviews on the grim reaper broadheads too if you don't want to spend too much. I bought some last year but got injured and haven't used them. I would say they don't feel as sharp to the touch as iron wills but I doubt that they won't be a good job as well since they do seem well built.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting the VPA 2 and 3 blades in 150 grain. Also really like the 175 2 blades they have a great profile.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Their 150 gr 3 blades are a really good head and fly surprisingly well. A compounder at our range was shooting some great groups with them at 70 yards a while back. Not a head I would have thought would shoot that well at speed and distance.
I agree, they fly great for me as well!

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
My preferred broadhead is the Eclipse 145 with bleeder, makes it 153+/-, I take the bleeders out for moose. Any well made broadhead will get it done, if it fly‘s good.
My belief: Most people would be better off spending the time spend worrying about their broadhead, practicing putting the arrow where it needs to go.

NEPkaspot

Lil-Rokslider
I also carry IW wides and Cutthroats. I also have one arrow with an IW solid just in case. I prefer the 3 blade Cutthroat 150. Great company and great people helped make my choice For both.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Several people have said something to the effect that zwickey’s have killed more animals than whatever. My question is, do you think that animals have been lost due to being broken/ bent/ performance failure, whereas a more expensive/ better built broadhead would’ve killed done the job?

cck311

FNG
I've got about a dozen and a half Magnus Stinger 2 blades. I keep my eyes open on eBay and anytime I can find them for $30 or less with shipping I snag more. I get a hair shaving razor sharp edge on them with the KME jig.

OP
Mtwood24

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
Have you guys used zwickeys? Any success stories, or stories of them failing? I’ve got 3 of the Eskimo 2 blades and 3 of the Eskimo 2 blades with bleeders that I’m going to at least use for turkey this spring. I have also been a fan of the magnus stingers in the past

LostArra

WKR
I’ve been using Muzzy Trocar’s for the last few years. I’ve shot two elk - both complete pass-throughs. Both elk died within 30 seconds. I have a 31” draw at 70lbs and I shoot a 125 grain heads.

They fly so straight and cut so well, I can’t imagine ever switching as long as they make them.
Probably not the best head here on the trad forum :cool: (unless maybe you're shooting a 70# recurve)

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased some zwickys when I first started shooting traditional. My sharpening skills were not good enough to use them. Then pulled the Magnus stinger 125 4 blades off my compound which worked great. I’m planning on switching to a woodsman 3 blade 175 this year just to try something new.

Beendare

WKR
Several people have said something to the effect that zwickey’s have killed more animals than whatever. My question is, do you think that animals have been lost due to being broken/ bent/ performance failure, whereas a more expensive/ better built broadhead would’ve killed done the job?
A cheap 2 blade BH failure? Ive never seen it.

I have heard of one…but its an outlier. A buddy used a non tempered steel head on Australian water buff and the first head curled on a rib. That same bh will be fine here in NA…but when you have to shoot through overlapping ribs 1 1/4” thick- it has to be the tempered steel heads.

Ive shot through elk scapulas and broken off side leg bones on 160# hogs with the cheap steel 2 blades. Most times they are still sharp after killing the critter as not much pressure is put on the blade edge Like in the case of a short chisel point head.

These are the apx. 2.5 to one designs…not the really long skinny heads As those can curl over from the long unsupported tips.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
ACE Standards and Super Express, killed everything at less than a quarter of the price of the newer heads. Don't reinvent the wheel. They've worked for 90 years.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nope. Animals are lost every year being shot with high end heads too. I don't think I've ever bent an ACE head. And they're super easy to sharpen.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk