Which bullet?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a fall bear hunt and had some questions for those who are much more experienced than myself. I have 2 options for rifle/ caliber, an old(ish) Savage 7mm-08 (140gr Partition) or Mauser M18 6.5 PRC (147gr ELD-M). I shoot both rifles equally well but the 6.5 PRC has the slight edge in accuracy, as well as being the lighter of the two. I know shot placement is #1 but which would you choose. My gut tells me to go with the 6.5 PRC but the ELD-M would be my second choice of bullets out of the two options that I have available. Some opinions and insight would be very much appreciated.

Have killed two large black bear boars and a nice grizzly sow with a 190 gr Berger out of my 300 WM.

Would have no qualms shooting another bear with that bullet or with my 6.5 PRC shooting 147 gr ELD-M.

Learn about bear anatomy before heading to the field. Avoid the shoulder especially on a big bodied boar.

GreenOne

FNG
I would pick depending on hunting style. If you’re in a tree stand I would go with the partition just for the peace of mind on those off angle shots. For spot and stalk which ever one you have more confidence in.
Disclaimer: not a shot at you

My preference would always be to use a bullet designed for hunting while hunting. I know that many people have great success with the thinner jacketed match bullets but in my opinion you’re just adding unnecessary variables to your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I would pick depending on hunting style. If you’re in a tree stand I would go with the partition just for the peace of mind on those off angle shots. For spot and stalk which ever one you have more confidence in.
Disclaimer: not a shot at you

My preference would always be to use a bullet designed for hunting while hunting. I know that many people have great success with the thinner jacketed match bullets but in my opinion you’re just adding unnecessary variables to your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. It will not be a treestand hunt. My father found 2 boxes of 143gr ELD-X for the 6.5 PRC, so that may be what I go with.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm a 7-08 fan so that's what I would take. I'd shoot those 143s and see how they shoot before I made a decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a 7-08 fan so that's what I would take. I'd shoot those 143s and see how they shoot before I made a decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm a big 7mm-08 fan. I wish I could find some TTSX on the shelf somewhere cause I'd likely take them. I'm going to shoot the 143gr ELD-X in a couple weeks and see how they perform. I'm certain they will shoot very well from my rifle and if they do I will likely plan to use my 6.5 PRC and keep my eyes open for a better bullet choice for 7mm-08.

Sled

WKR
For bear I'd prefer a bonded or mono core projectile. You might have luck finding some of the smaller mfg online with 6.5prc. it'll cost more but hopefully be in stock.

340bee

FNG
I shot mine last spring with a 180gr Norma oryx from a 30-06. It’s an ugly, bonded, low BC bullet, but a heart shot that hit no bone dropped it stone dead.

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
For bear I'd prefer a bonded or mono core projectile. You might have luck finding some of the smaller mfg online with 6.5prc. it'll cost more but hopefully be in stock.
I've been looking and only found one place. I couldn't stomach their asking price...at least not yet.

OP
JMasson

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
it's spendy but in stock and worth it for hand loaded ammo.
I agree. I wish I had the dies to reload 6.5. Even if I did, I would struggle to find components. Thanks for the link and insight.