Which Caliber

Which cartridge for All-Around (Read description in my post below)

• 6.5 PRC

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • 6.5x284

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • 26 Nosler

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 270 WSM

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 308 (its earned its place here)

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other (post below and tell why)

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters

LBuchser

WKR
Ok so let's start this by saying I'm not looking for a big caliber, heavy hitting, high recoiling magnum that I could theoretically shoot a moose at 750+ yards with. I have that base covered! I already have a custom ultralight mountain rifle in 300 PRC.

Now, what I am considering is an All-Around cartridge that is enjoyable to shoot at the range, can poke things at good distances while maintaining good energy. I will probably reload but it's nice to have the option of factory ammo as well.

We are in an era of amazing developments and I know there are great options out there. These are a few I'm considering.

I'd go with the 6.5 PRC or 6.5x284. You can hunt almost anything with them; adjust the distance as necessary. Recoil is pretty good so extended range sessions are not bad. The commercial Horndady ammo, at least 143 gr ELD-X and 147 gr ELD-M, tend to shoot pretty well. They also tend to be even better when you develop handloads.

Shot a Coues whitetail this past weekend at 750 yards. The estimated impact velocity was 2155 fps and estimated impact energy was 1516. This rifle shoots 147 gr ELD-M at 3050 fps (handload). It shot commercial 147 gr ELD-M at 2910; if I was using it this past weekend the estimated impact velocity would have been 2040 and energy would have been 1358.

With all that said, the 270 WSM would work as well. Not that big of a fan of the 308 when using commercial ammo as it runs out of steam too quickly; handloads and that changes things. The 26 Nosler is impressive but does not lend itself to extended range sessions.

I'd consider the 7mm-08. It never seems to get the love that it deserves. Recoil is good, plenty of oomph, good selection of commercial ammo, etc.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think a 7mm has more do everything capability than the 6.5s; 7 WSM or 280 AI or 7mm-08. However the 7s have a lot of overlap with a 300.

If you want a 6.5mm for fun, and mule deer and smaller I would go with a 6.5 CM for ammo availability, reduced recoil, and avoiding heavy overlap with what you already have.

But, if you are also wanting an easier to carry rifle that can cover everything, than 280 AI would get my vote.

I voted 6.5prc knowing you have a nice 300prc in the safe. Build it in a short action on a 20-22” barrel and you’ll have a great deer/antelope gun, but can still shoot it a lot. I know ammo and brass has been hard to get these days though...so that might be a challenge to consider due to its popularity.

Squincher

WKR
.30-06 is the very definition of all around. 150 gr for deer and smaller; 180 gr for everything else. 7mm RM would be my second choice. To my mind, no other calibers are so perfectly suited to cover the gambit of North American game.

But if I already had a .30 of some sort, as you do, I'd be more tempted by a .25-06 or .257 WBY than an all around caliber.

w squared

FNG
The only real "all around" cartridge on the list with any sort of "all around" credentials is a .308WIN.

Everything else on the list of something of a high performance barrel burner with exception of a 6.5 PRC. That'd be fine if your "all around" game run on the small side.
Exactly. If you want something that will be enjoyable at the range in a rifle that is still light enough for the field, the .308 or a similar cartridge is your best choice. In a seven or eight pound rifle I would not want to be shooting much more than a .308 or .30-06 for a hundred or two rounds in a day.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
For your intended purpose I really like the 270 WSM. There are more high bc bullets entering the market everyday. If I could vote for two the second would be the 6.5 PRC. I am a fan of the WSMs, I've owned a 300 WSM and currently use my custom 7mm WSM for exactly what you want to use this rifle for. I think as that .277 Fury starts to gain traction more and more bullets will be made available for the 270 WSM.

If limited to your list I would go 6.5 prc since I like short actions (But could also go 6.5 GAP 4S or 6.5 SS) But you left out all the 7mms! 7 SAUM, 7-08, would get strong consideration. What about the 6.5 manbun? It's really versatile and capable of about everything :ROFLMAO: . not listed is the 6.5x55, an old standby, could AI it but then might as well go 6.5x284. What about a "wildcat" 25 SST with that new 131 BJ ACE? Or a 25 creedmore? or a 25-06, or a 257 Roberts. maybe I want to try a quarterbore......

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
.280 Remington
Flat shooting
Mild recoil
Easy to load for
Kills great
My two rifles shoot:
140 gr Accubond, 3040 fps
160 gr Accubond, 2925 fps
Both rifles shoot both loads 1/2" consistently.
Good for deer, moose, elk, sheep. Some folks hunt brown bear with them.
I have taken quite a few hoofed animals at ranges over 500 yds, some over 600 and almost all have died in their foot prints where they stood when I shot them.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
The .308 WCF and 6.5 creed make a lot of sense when you say enjoyable at the range and All-around. However two noticeable absences on your list to my eye, 7mm-08 and .270 WCF if an all NA game cartridge that is readily available as factory with milder recoil is your goal. So, how important is factory ammo availability and what priority is pleasing to shoot both recoil and cost per shot vs hunting all aroundness?

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is for 7mm-08. Brass will never be hard to find, factory ammo everywhere and with handloads you can get some pretty good performance.