Which headlamp do you recommend?

HoneyDew

WKR
I run the storm as my primary for everything (hunting, backpacking, camping) it is a great headlamp with a lock so it won’t turn on in your pack. I also keep a petzl zipka as a backup in my bino harness in case I takeoff without my pack or the storm dies. Also always have a streamlight micro stream ultra-compact in my pocket. It runs on a single AAA for 2 hrs and will clip to my ballcap in a pinch.

Last edited:
OP
S
Awesome, thanks for the advice! It's got a lock? Interesting. Seems like you've got a pretty dialed in setup. No experience with the SRI?

Hey guys, looking for a headlamp here. Thinking about the SRI headlamp or the Streamlight option. The SRI seems more powerful but price on the Streamlight helps.
https://hunterswholesale.net/blogs/news/best-headlamps-for-hunting

Well, from the link, I see that the Black Diamond Storm is top rated. I would agree. I have 3 of them. I have been running one for about 4 years now and with the 4 AAA batteries, it lasts about 6 months under normal usage with occasional high beam moments. It has been through snow and rain and never had any issues.

The one feature I like is the turbo light option, in which you just touch the side and you get full power. Perfect for those "what the eff is that over there in the dark" moments. Another feature is that you can use different colors, depending on your hunting needs. I find green works well when I am getting to my coyote stand, red for when I am hiking into the backcountry and know I am in ungulate territory.

So yeh, the Storm is highly recommended. Good luck.

TheCougar

WKR
Zebralight. They are expensive, but after using them, they are worth every penny. Bright, durable, long battery life. With the magnetic charger, the spare battery functions as a spare power pack to charge other devices, so it’s multi-functional.

I’ve got Fenix and BD headlamps as well. The BD isn’t even in the conversation. The Fenix is a good headlamp, but not as bright or functional as the Zebralight. Trust me. You won’t regret it - spend the extra $30 and get a Zebralight.

Netherman

WKR
I carry a BD revolt and storm (2 is 1 and all that). The revolt is my primary and really nice for day hunts as you don't end up with a drawer full of half charged batteries (I didn't like going too far from a truck without a full set). I haven't had a headlamp die on me yet but it's nice to just swap them out if one runs out of battery or dies.

I also like the lock feature and different lens colors (storm has red/green and revolt just has red).

archp625

WKR
Whatever one you buy make sure it has a lock so it cannot turn on in your pack. Nothing like needing it and its out of juice. I also think have a red and or green light is a must for sneaking into your spot at night. All this said My brother and I both have a BD Spot or Storm. They both are very similar. One has a few more lumens than the other.

Only failures I have had are the BD Storm and a Zebra light. The BD failed on a nasty pack out in a snow storm. The Zebra looks like the led light somehow got bent. May try a Fenix. Funny all my cheap Walmart and Homedepot lights never fail.

Black diamond lights will eventually fail. Petzl lamps are too pricey for their performance and the fact that you have to buy their rechargeable batteries.

I bought a nitecore hc30 about 3 years ago now and it's still going strong and I don't think it will ever die. It has taken a real beating when canyoneering. I also use it constantly for working at home, running, camping, hunting, etc. It uses a single standard 18650 battery or two of the short fat ones. It's incredibly lightweight for it's battery life, power, and durability.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a battery charge light indicator or a red light. I have a backup petzl that I use if I'm really concerned about having a red light. I know some people will also use a piece of red cellophane tape to filter it red. I have an extra battery, so I just use one battery for a couple months and then switch the battery out and charge the other. I bought a battery charger for mine, but I believe they make batteries that have a micro USB built in, so you can just plug the battery in directly.

There's also a similar model to this that has a red light, hc65, I think. It also has a built in charging port and battery charge indicator light. But it's a bit heavier and the run time vs beam intensity numbers aren't laid out as well, in my opinion. I'm sure they have some other new models at this point.

Hondo

WKR
Nitecore NU25 is lightweight, compact, rechargeable, plenty bright (White & Red) and can be had for about $35. I have owned or seen firsthand in camp many other headlamps from Olight, Streamlight, Fenix, Petzl and Black Diamond and the NU25 performs way above its price point.

I had been using an NU30 (now NU32) and HC65 that I mostly use for varmint control and night fishing but switched to the smaller & lighter NU25 based upon the recommendation of a fellow Rokslider. I recharge mine with a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel or power bank daily but I have gone close to a week in camp without charging.

I had a black diamond storm shit out on me. I only used it as a back up. When I was pretty far out walking back in the dark my old rechargeable one died. And I thought cool I'll use the storm. Nope. Changed batteries on it. Nope. Just stopped working unfortunately. Probably a one off, but I switched to petzl

Drenalin

WKR
I had a Petzl Tactikka last me for about 10 years before I broke the housing. Great headlamp, never had any issues out of it. Now I've got a couple of BD Storms, but hearing about guys having failures makes me want to go back to the Petzl.

OP
S
So it sounds like Black Diamond and Petzls are everyone's favorites. Totally on board with that, did anyone check out the other options?

No matter how good your headlamp is it’s useless once it turns on in your pack and the battery goes dead. I love my Black Diamond headlamps with the on/off lock. I really like the infinite dimming too. Conserves the battery big time.