which is the better phone for hunters?

MHWASH

WKR
Iphone, Pixel or Samsoung? Does one offer better reception than the others assuming same carrier? Does one run Onx ect better than the others? Better camera for wildlife?

I'm currently using a Iphone 12 mini, but I'd like a larger screen. Verizon is offering an upgrade to a 15 for $10, which I'll probably do if the other two options are not substantially better.

Sherrif

FNG
I have an IPhone SE (2 years old). Went on a New Mexico Elk Hunt in September, and used OnX for 10 days with and without cell service. I had no problems with the App, was actually surprised how good it worked.
I do know from experience that some apps work better on iPhones than Androids, but I cannot say that is the case with OnX.

I agree with you though, a larger screen would be nice when navigating with that app.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a twelve pro. Size is about perfect for viewing but still fits in most pockets. Camera is definitely not better than the high end Samsung or some other androids but iPhone cameras have always been very user friendly and make the adjustments for you and a little quicker to take the photo.

Battery life is decent. Newer iPhones have feature called rise to wake. Tilting it up turns on the unlock screen that has two short cuts (camera and flashlight). Both of those can be turned on while in your pocket walking around, that’s where the battery drain comes from so best to turn that feature off.

Reception should be identical to anything from the same provider. One catch is if you live where they are upgrading the network. I have had 5g turned off for two years because it’s just not optimized yet causing lots of issues. Not sure if you can turn that off on the android phones. I did have an android from work that was on the same provider as my personal phone, slightly better texting with my iPhone when in poor coverage.

kpk

WKR
It just depends what OS you like and are used to. People generally struggle making the switch one way or the other. I will say - and people will get hurt feelings - but Apple tech/features are generally about 5 years behind.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
As most US users are on Iphone, most app developers focus on the apple side of their apps. So I have found mapping apps like Basemap and Spartan Forge work best on iphone compared to samsung galaxy and even compared to on my laptop. This includes the 3D mapping which is only available on the iphone version for basemap as its optimized for the app, as well as switching layers and hiking accuracy. Spartan Forge even has some UAV and better map images available on their app version, but not yet updated for the laptop version which is odd but where they focus attention. And for hiking/tracking my samsung would ping off trail randomly whereas my iphone I had 3 years ago and iphone I have now are right on the trails I hike.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It just depends what OS you like and are used to. People generally struggle making the switch one way or the other. I will say - and people will get hurt feelings - but Apple tech/features are generally about 5 years behind.

Yeah I'd be very hesitant to switch operating systems as well.

I've found the cameras to pretty good on the iPhone, but can't really compare to others. I have a "regular" 12 that I'm likely to upgrade soon and will probably got the Pro model for the better camera.

LostArra

WKR
I'm an old boomer and I made the switch to android after the iphone 6 battery debacle. If I can figure it out anyone can.

I first went to an old Nexus phone my daughter had used for work and I loved it but it eventually could not be updated. Then moved to a Pixel 4a and I'm still happy with it. OnX and Huntstand both work great.

On elk hunts my buddies' iphones are always dead while my old pixel still has plenty of life but I think that could be a user issue.

There is one minor compatibility issue. Three of my four daughters and my wife have iphones. When they send a video by text message of grandkids to me or to my android daughter the video is not clear. My one techie daughter has figured out that if the video is sent by Snap Chat it's perfect.

MJB

WKR
I love my Pixel 7 pro....... apple sucks when it comes to customized options on your phone. Android is easy to use and you'll find it much more user friendly.

robtattoo

WKR
I really like my Samsung A42.
Perfect size, amazing battery life & does everything I'll ever need a phone for. The camera is great, it has a removable SD card to expand memory, reception & gps is fanatic & the OS is simple & straightforward. Zero complaints.

I wouldn't switch to an iPhone if they were giving them away. I don't personally know anyone who has, or has had one that didn't have a bunch of complaints. Mostly about having to upgrade every couple of years.

The only time I've upgraded my phone (twice in 12 years) is when it either physically breaks or there's a terminal software lockup (1 indent of each)

Yoder

WKR
I think the service provider is more important. I have T-mobile/Sprint and my wife has Verizon. T-mobile is by far the worst service I've ever had on a phone. Dropped calls, no service, internet is at a snails pace and this is in populated areas. My wife has no issues with Verizon.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the service provider is more important. I have T-mobile/Sprint and my wife has Verizon. T-mobile is by far the worst service I've ever had on a phone. Dropped calls, no service, internet is at a snails pace and this is in populated areas. My wife has no issues with Verizon.

A buddy of mine switched to T-Mobile (from Verizon) a year or so ago- got a free nice phone, I think a free tablet and maybe something else. Oh and the rates were a little cheaper too.

I asked how it was going a month or so after he switched- he echoed your concerns exactly. Said it was the worse move he ever made, probably varies by area, but central Montana is not T-Mobile country for sure.

Extrapale

WKR
My experience around the West has been that Verizon is king of coverage.

I have always been an Android user, but I do worry that Apple will take over. There are a few apps I have tried to get that were only available on Apple. On X works great on Android.

I have an iPhone for work, and I am not a fan.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
I ended up with another Iphone, 15Pro. I just couldn't beat the deal. The only real problem now is figuring out charging while in the backcountry off of my power bank. Seams the new cord will not USB C will not charge from my Anker when using an adapter. If I use an adapter and the magnetic charger it works fine, I'm just not thrilled with packing more weight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that's good to know; I was thinking about trading my 12 for a 15- think I'll wait a bit :)

I do wish these new phone releases weren't the size of small tablets! My Samsung S10e is the perfect size of physical dimensions and I'm not an Apple fan.

I ended up with another Iphone, 15Pro. I just couldn't beat the deal. The only real problem now is figuring out charging while in the backcountry off of my power bank. Seams the new cord will not USB C will not charge from my Anker when using an adapter. If I use an adapter and the magnetic charger it works fine, I'm just not thrilled with packing more weight.
Why can’t you use a standard lightning cord? I use my 14 off my power bank with a standard USB lightning cord.

earrow

FNG
Around here it seems my Android outlasts the rest of the gangs Iphones also when it's bad cold there's won't work