Which Mystery Ranch pack?

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my eye on the mule, it will do what I need for whitetail hunting here in Michigan but I will also be able to use it outwest.

For what it is worth, I was looking hard at a Pintler and just bought a Terraftame 50 for $230 shipped on Steep and Cheap. Fabric is lighter but so is the pack. Similar volume and layout. I think the Terraframe has the guide light frame too but cannot confirm. I am not a hard core elk guy but thought it was the right option for me. I would love to hear opinions on my decision either way...
I've also been eyeballing the pintler, as well as the terraframe (great price!) It would awesome if you could post a picture of it cinched down when it arrives. I'm iffy on its size for a day pack.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I've also been eyeballing the pintler, as well as the terraframe (great price!) It would awesome if you could post a picture of it cinched down when it arrives. I'm iffy on its size for a day pack.

Will do. If it is delivered early enough, I will post today. If not, tomorrow!

Just arrived! I cinches down to essentially the exact size of the frame. I think it will work fine for a day pack but can hold a ton more. The fabric feels plenty tough for someone who isn't in the mountains all the time. The fabric is a little darker than I expected but all in all, it is exactly what I was looking for. Quality pack with a solid frame that can do double duty as a day pack on a budget.

Attachments

• 20200210_113055.jpg
    20200210_113055.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200210_113150.jpg
    20200210_113150.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200210_113158.jpg
    20200210_113158.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200210_113207.jpg
    20200210_113207.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200210_113227.jpg
    20200210_113227.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for posting those pictures. Looks like a great pack. Unfortunately they don't have any mediums!

NJ_BHA

FNG
You mentioned possible cons to the Beartooth. There seems to be a lot of MR pack owners here, so let me ask a question about a perceived con to the Beartooth, keeping me from pulling the trigger. Why are there no dedicated load straps? A) Can't just haul with the frame, and B) (more importantly) The bag contents have to be cinched and compressed to secure the load shelf contents? I mean, generally your bag is strapped down, but not with the same force necessary to secure a quarter of deer. Is this an issue? Am I over thinking it? A lot of decent packs have straps ON the frame.

You mentioned possible cons to the Beartooth. There seems to be a lot of MR pack owners here, so let me ask a question about a perceived con to the Beartooth, keeping me from pulling the trigger. Why are there no dedicated load straps? A) Can't just haul with the frame, and B) (more importantly) The bag contents have to be cinched and compressed to secure the load shelf contents? I mean, generally your bag is strapped down, but not with the same force necessary to secure a quarter of deer. Is this an issue? Am I over thinking it? A lot of decent packs have straps ON the frame.

MR sells a load shelf separately to carry tree stands, meat or a camp bag. I think you are overthinking your concern about cinching down the main bag. That’s how most packs are and specifically the Kifaru packs which the consensus seems to be the most popular pack on this forum. You are correct some packs have straps already on the frame but again the majority don’t.

Personally I would rather carry my meat in the pack bag which directly addresses your concern about cinching down the pack bag over the meat because the pack is in place and the meat conforms to the bag instead of the possibility of the meat shifting and now the bag has to be readjusted if you are using the meat shelf. If need be I will move my bag contents and rearrange around the meat in the pack and also if necessary I will cinch it to the outside of my MR Glacier with a Kifaru Grab It. What is cinched by the grab it is lighter than the meat so it is far less likely to cause any shifting and fit issues that the meatshelf and cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk