Which one to keep?

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a .30-06 and a .270, kinda thinking about selling one. The .30-06 is a Remington 700 ADL with a 3x9 scope. The .270 is Browning A-Bolt with matte finish and synthetic stock and a 3x9 scope. The scope on the .270 is nicer than the other one so technically if the .270 were to go I probably would swap scopes. I also have a .45-70 that I will keep, in theory it will take the place of whichever may get sold. Just not sure what to do, I know the .270 can handle elk and the .45-70 can handle even bigger game, should the need ever arise. The bullet selection for the .30-06 is better than those for the .270 however. On a side note, I just don't see the need for both anymore as I don't hunt much anymore, have turned my attention to fly fishing.
I do like the synthetic stock vs. wood. I'm fighting with myself over this.

Depending on when the Remington was made, may help your decision. The newer ones suck pretty bad. The older ones had a recall for a faulty trigger. I own a latter one. I ended up replacing the trigger with a timney but the stock needed some small filing on the inside to fit. I’ve never been a fan of the 30-06 personally and the 270 will certainly handle anything in North America out to 400 yards for sure. I own a 270 as well. In fact, a buddy took his to Africa and killed 7 different animals with it shooting 140 grain inter bonds. If the 270 is a very accurate gun, I’d prolly lean that way. However, my performed choice would be keep both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like a .270 better but the one positive about keeping the Rem 700 is that if you decide in the future that you wanna change things up you can. There are way more aftermarket parts and assys for the rem 700. You can re-barrel the action to a different caliber, you can put on a different stock etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I would probably keep the most accurate of the two, if there is a significant difference. In general, I prefer the Remington action. More gunsmiths work on Remington's and getting them rebarrel'd is easier. You won't find a lot of custom A bolts. If I hunted in bear country, I would keep the 30-06. More options for bigger bullets. Jack O'Connor killed animals all over North America with a 270 and Partition bullets so you can't go too far wrong with either.

cnelk

WKR
Since you’re keeping the 45-70, sell the ‘06, keep the .270.
You can go all the way down to 110gr bullet w the 270. That gives you a wide range from
The low end of the 270 to high end of the 45-70

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
No reason to own a .30-06 any more. It's too much gun for any critter on 4 legs. with the exception of a brown bear.
Brown bear I agree with, not so sure .30-06 is "too much gun" when it comes to moose however, they can get awfully big. Yeah, yeah I know they have been killed with much smaller guns, as has brown bear but if hunting either one I would want the biggest gun I could handle.

WorleyElk

FNG
Keep em both. Why sell? If you want to consolidate I'd get rid of the 270. 30-06 will be around forever. You can hunt any animal in NA with it. Ammo abounds. Fly fishing is another expensive hobby! Enjoy,

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Keep em both. Why sell? If you want to consolidate I'd get rid of the 270. 30-06 will be around forever. You can hunt any animal in NA with it. Ammo abounds. Fly fishing is another expensive hobby! Enjoy,
Could have bought several guns for what have invested in the equipment, and my rods/reels aren't that expensive, middle of the road by most people's standards. Its the number of rods/reels that I have, one each for several weights, plus numerous other toys and gadgets for the sport.

16Bore

WKR
Thanks for your encouragement. :)

Even if they were identical rifles with identical scopes...still tough!

223, 243, then 270 or 30-06 is a pretty good trifecta in my book. The last two are tough, but I can’t get rid of either so problem solved!

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Even if they were identical rifles with identical scopes...still tough!

223, 243, then 270 or 30-06 is a pretty good trifecta in my book. The last two are tough, but I can’t get rid of either so problem solved!
Been considering just keeping it, it isn't costing me anything to sit in a safe. About the time I sell it I'll come down with a serious case of seller's remorse.