Which SKB case?

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit lost in the SKB jungle and short on time so I thought I'd see if anyone has a recommendation for which case to go with. Looking for a model that:

- Can fit a 35ATA bow and also; a shorter rifle/shotgun; or some clothes/gear, or an extra bow
- Can endure luggage handlers/flying
- Has wheels

Preferably I'd get it from Amazon as my wife has a discount there.

I've searched their website an amazon but there are a ton of options and they don't always match. Looking at this one (just need to make sure it's deep enough to fit my limbs) now but open for suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Double-Ri...F8&qid=1378505637&sr=8-4&keywords=skb+bowcase

Thanks in advance!

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
One other option I've considered is the Sitka Nomad, would allow me to pack gear with bow. Yes, not nearly the same level of protection but I've traveled extensively with surfboards and (fingers crossed) have been ok after padding them with clothes/soft gear. I'd hope a bow sandwiched inbetween clothes would work pretty well. This would also save me a piece of check in luggage. That said, pricey and my cams would rest pretty close to the sides which is a bit of a concern..

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/big-game/packs-bags/nomad

Anyway, flying in two weeks so I need to move fast..

Craig4791

WKR
If you want a really tough case to carry a bow and a gun. Look into the Pelican 1750 case and get an extra set of foam for it, one set you can use do your rifle and the other for your bow.

This case is built like a tank and has wheels as well. It's a dream to use. The SKB case I have for my bow has worked well for a while but the baggage ppl eventually managed to break the plastic on it from throwing it around.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skb has awesome customer service so give them a call and get your case fixed. I have the double and like it a lot and trust it with my setup which cost more than my first car lol

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, good tips, will measure the bow when I get home. The pelican option is interesting, will look at their lineup too. Ideally I want a case that can fit more than just the bow given luggage cost/restrictions. Anyway, pass on suggestions!

Craig4791

WKR
I have the parallel hunter SKB case and you will get more room in that case to fit extra gear than the pelican.

I think SKB is made by Pelican. I found a deal online from Roger's Sporting Goods or something like that in Coyote for just over $200.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you guys remove your sights putting your bow in these? I'm not picturing how else these would work. ?? Any options where you can leave the sights on? Or is that a bad idea?

Craig4791

WKR
I've never taken my sight off. If you have a real long dovetail just remove that.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
re9a4a6a.jpg
plenty of room even with arrows that sight is almost 6" off the riser

ry4y4u3u.jpg

I hacked mine up a bit. The double model has a divider. The divider is eggshell foam with a wood panelling core all hot melt glued like a sandwich. My stabilizer fits inside the hole further steadying the bow. I cut the foam out to give my vanes clearance on the lid.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again, ordered the double bow case this eve. Good chunk of change but the extra peace of mind when traveling for a hunt is priceless.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. What model number is the khaki one?

Dont know the model number but if you are in the market for one, the best deal I found was at opticsplanet. $219 and free shipping, but they won't have stock until sept 16 they said. After that it was rogers sporting goods.