Which Tikka Build?

JakeSCH

WKR
I have a Tikka T3x blued in 308 that I am going to either turn into a 6 CM for my son by simply replacing barrel or use it to build a 7 PRC. I have extra magnum bolt and will like go with a chasis.

My son just turned 7, so getting something that he can get behind is coming up soon but a 7PRC tikka chasis is what I want next.

Basically my question comes down to is it worth upgrading the blued action for the chasis system vs buying a new stainless steel one?

TxLite

WKR
There’s nothing wrong with the blued actions. In my limited experience (3 blued and 1 stainless) the blued were all smoother than the stainless.

I did a stainless on my 7 prc and if could do it again I’d go blued and maybe cerakote the exterior if I wanted to protect it with more than just oiling.

There’s nothing wrong with the blued actions. In my limited experience (3 blued and 1 stainless) the blued were all smoother than the stainless.

I did a stainless on my 7 prc and if could do it again I’d go blued and maybe cerakote the exterior if I wanted to protect it with more than just oiling.
Do you think it was smoother just because you had to oil the actual bolt more? Or do you think there's something about the blueing that makes it run better?

In your shoes I’d definitely re barrel the rifle you have to whatever caliber you think makes the most sense. Put a new barrel on it and have it cerakoted or spray paint it.

Also, unless your 7 year old is huge and ready for a centerfire right now, you might be money ahead by waiting for the right rifle for him for a few years. By then maybe Tikka will offer a T3X in 6CM. Or shoot out the 7PRC and rebarrel for him in a few years.

TxLite

WKR
Do you think it was smoother just because you had to oil the actual bolt more? Or do you think there's something about the blueing that makes it run better?
Couldn’t say for sure. It could just be that my specific example of stainless was sub par. It’s only a sample size of 1. It’s got 148 rounds on it and hasn’t changed.

I just know that even oiled, it felt much more sloppy and rough than the 3 blued. One of which was bone dry because my buddy is a heathen and doesn’t oil things.

It’s still better than my Ruger American but my blued Tikka is like glass.

B23

WKR
I don't know if it has anything to do with the "smoothness" of the action but I believe blued actions are made from chromoly steel and chromoly steel is harder than regular stainless steel. Stainless steel is usually easier to machine with regard to getting a good finish so that could almost cancel out the hardness factor of why a blued chromoly action seemed smoother.

If one blued Tikka action seemed smoother then another SS Tikka action I'd venture to guess it had more to do with the machining tolerence/s of those two particular actions then what material they were made from but that's just a SWAG as I have no proof of either. I have a blued Tikka and a SS Tikka and I couldn't say that one feels any better/smoother than the other.

Blued Tikka Action 6CM 22" Preferred Barrel Prefit, Shoots 115 DTacs right @ 3000 fps with 40gr H4350. I have had a bunch of blued and stainless actions and cant really tell a difference in the "smoothness" of the actions. If your going to hunt with it non stop in less than optimal weather then it might be a good idea to get the stainless, having said that both will work and I don't think you can go wrong with the blued. I generally use my shooting mat as a gun case and the other day I wrapped the gun up post shooting on a damp morning. It was fine the next morning even after sitting in a damp "case" for 24 hrs.

Attachments

• Tikka 6CM.jpg
    Tikka 6CM.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 30
If you haven't had corrosion issues with existing blued action i wouldn't worry about getting stainless.

B23

WKR
In production factory actions I think chromoly receivers are actually stronger then their SS counterpart. Maybe with custom actions where they may use a different or higher quality stainless steel material that's different, I'm not sure, but with factory receivers the blued chromoly receivers are stronger.

Like wind gypsy mentioned, if corrosion is a big concern to you then SS may be the better choice.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If corrosion is a concern, you can have it cerakoted or nitrided. CM is stronger than stainless. That said, mine are stainless. I may have H&M nitrided them anyway as even stainless can rust.