Who has the best frame?

twall13

WKR
I remember when I first joined this forum and was looking to get a quality pack. I was immediately turned off by how many people were "shoveling" Kifaru down my throat. I made it a point to exclude them from my pack options. I ended up with an Exo, and I really liked the pack but after a couple of years with it I began to notice some of the shortcomings for me. I started paying closer attention to the Kifaru recommendations and found that a Kifaru frame solved the minor shortcomings I was having with the Exo frame/belt. I, like others, ended up with Exo bags on a Kifaru Hunter frame and it suits my needs much better. My point in telling this story is that the OP seems set on only looking at Mystery Ranch and Exo, both very good offerings no doubt, but I don't think they should be the only two options you consider. I'm very happy with my current setup, but I'd still like to try a Stone Glacier and a Seek Outside with some weight for comparison. It also looks like Exo has made and is continuing to make solid improvements and I wouldn't mind giving their frame another try to see how far they've come. In the end, I'm very happy to have so many good pack options and the Rokslide classifieds make it much easier to "test" packs out and compare and then move on to the next option.

One of the arguments I always used in "defending" my choice (seems you have to do this a lot on this site with certain groups of keypad warriors), is Kifarus modularity. Meaning all the different ways that same pack can morph into something different. Be it big bag into day mode, or small 3400 Tahr into a 7000 beast. I haven't seen other companies offer this modularity to this "extreme".
You wont be disappointed in Kifaru.

I have followed EXO and have seen things I liked in the 2018 models so I dropped the coin on a day pack set up , the K2000. It will be tested next week in AZ.
What I see EXO doing now, which I am glad for, is they too are modifying their line from what was a basic set up, to slightly more variations. Once they start down this road, they will discover there is no end to it.
Which isn't a bad thing.
It's just that Kifaru has already been there and done that.

In the end, most pack makers have basic systems that are either perfect or close enough.
Kifaru offers you the options to completely alter what you have for even more.

I will say the EXO frame, feels more comfy right off the bat compared to Kifaru, but that is with the bag hanging off my shoulders with only 20 lbs in it.
What I like about EXO is I go to their site and there are 3 options (more coming). Easy enough
I go to Kifaru, and the bag options, are endless. The accessories are endless. Even 2 different type of stays for 3 different types of frames.

In the end if someone asks me whats the best...……. ? I would reply, who has the best wife? Each person sees this differently for good reasons.

Jbehredt

WKR
Best for me is the kifaru for one simple reason. I tried exo and sg first since on paper I liked them better. Lighter weight and better overall as a daypack than a compressed kifaru. Turns out my pointy illiac crest makes the belt comfort my deciding factor. Hard to find anybody willing to argue that kifaru doesn’t have a great belt. Exo 2000 and 5500 on a tactical duplex is the ticket for me.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a Stone Glacier Xcurve Frame myself. It has a load self already built in and the frame is good to 150 IBS even thought the frame is only 3.13lbs itself. I have packed out a lot of big game with this system and have not had any problems.

Best for me is the kifaru for one simple reason. I tried exo and sg first since on paper I liked them better. Lighter weight and better overall as a daypack than a compressed kifaru. Turns out my pointy illiac crest makes the belt comfort my deciding factor. Hard to find anybody willing to argue that kifaru doesn’t have a great belt. Exo 2000 and 5500 on a tactical duplex is the ticket for me.

Exactly the same for me.

my opinion for the money you cannot go wrong with Mystery Ranch (especially since there are great deals out there for them), they are just flat out bomb proof. There are a ton of straps and extra buckles and crap that you dont need (xtra weight) and that is the con of MR packs but once you get the system figured out they are awesome. I was buying for two....my son and I, so I did have a budget. If I my budget was bigger i probably would have gone with Kifaru. I have been able to find some incredible sales on optics planet especially for Mystery ranch and now have an even better buying option for them so i will continue to purchase from them. There are not many deals out there for Kifaru but they are damn nice. of course the other three pack makers i would look at are stone glacier, exo and seak outside. They all make good products. I love the simplicity of some of the seak outside and stone glacier.... damn i wish i could buy one of each.

fbhandler

WKR
I initially got an Exo and Kifaru, kept the Kifaru. After a year I went back to Exo and am very happy. The newest version k2 addressed the minor issues I originally had and although I will say that for really heavy loads ($120lb+) the Kifaru was “slightly” more comfortable... That said, for me the Exo is more comfortable 95% of the time, and that’s what I notice almost all the time

Randle

WKR
I initially got an Exo and Kifaru, kept the Kifaru. After a year I went back to Exo and am very happy. The newest version k2 addressed the minor issues I originally had and although I will say that for really heavy loads ($120lb+) the Kifaru was “slightly” more comfortable... That said, for me the Exo is more comfortable 95% of the time, and that’s what I notice almost all the time
This is why I have an EXO, the kifaru in day mode felt too stiff for me.

I own a couple Kifaru frames and a KUIU frame. Only top dollar packs I have owned. I'd have no real problems if the KUIU was all I had. I get simple sometimes and love the narrow frame, small profile, and organization in my 1850 icon pro setup. But, after hunting it for a couple weeks, I'll pick one of my Kifaru's up and it is simply long lost love. I have them all setup for different applications and don't sweat wearing the KUIU at all. But, the Kifaru's are more comfortable at any load for me. It's the BELT. And, I think the lite frame with composite stays carries better heavy then the hunter frame.

I'll also concede that the kifaru hip belt is probably the most comfortable for me, which is exactly why I'm having one retro fitted to my x-curve frame. Which I think handles weight better than the kifaru frame.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Dirtyspike,
I am 5'-10, 200. I have a Kifaru Hunter, A SO Divide, and a Krux Frame with Kifaru belt and curved stays. All of these fit me about the same. They all seem about equal for hauling, because I am limited to about 80-100lbs. All of these would likely fit you to try on for awhile. We could hook up in Troutdale some Saturday if you want to try these on if that will help you make an initial choice.

PM me if you want to get together.

Since you are going to be hauling loads that heavy, these are the three I would choose from. Exo, Kifaru Tactical or Mystery Ranch would be great choices.

Jbehredt

WKR
I'll also concede that the kifaru hip belt is probably the most comfortable for me, which is exactly why I'm having one retro fitted to my x-curve frame. Which I think handles weight better than the kifaru frame.

I’d like to see how this turns out. Please update me when it’s all said and done.

OP
D
Thank you all for the advice and experience you have to offer. About the super heavy loads.... I don’t PLAN on continuing to do this, my body just can’t do it like it used to, but, in the event that i do go ego over brains i just want to have something that can handle my poor choices.
I am not necessarily stuck on MR or Exo, i have never really looked into the high end pack game and those are the two i see popping up on the shows I watch, so they were the ones i had looked into at the point of starting this thread, I looked into the Kifaru and am now all sorts of confused, so many choices lol. But i am definitely going to look more into them as well.
I went and tried on a MR pack today, i am not sure what bag, but it was the guide light frame. The belt seemed pretty comfy but the frame seemed to feel like i had a piece of plywood across my shoulder blades when i would test my range of motion with my arms. It had 30 lbs in it at the time. Is this a common “feel” to experience, will any of these frames have break in periods?
One common theme i see is try, try, and try some more until its just right so that is the plan.
I think i will order a exo next week to give it a try and see what i think, and, if it isn’t right i will move onto the other suggestions until i find the right one.
Will i have any issue returning packs to any of them? In like new condition of course.
Thanks again guys...will keep asking questions as they arise.

I'm interested in seeing this.

fbhandler

WKR
1) Thank you all for the advice and experience you have to offer. About the super heavy loads.... I don’t PLAN on continuing to do this, my body just can’t do it like it used to, but, in the event that i do go ego over brains i just want to have something that can handle my poor choices.”

2) “I am not necessarily stuck on MR or Exo”

3) “The belt seemed pretty comfy but the frame seemed to feel like i had a piece of plywood across my shoulder blades when i would test my range of motion with my arms. It had 30 lbs in it at the time. Is this a common “feel” to experience, will any of these frames have break in periods?”

4) “Will i have any issue returning packs to any of them? In like new condition of course.
Thanks again guys...will keep asking questions as they arise.

1) This is how I originally thought about it too... I bought with “worst case scenario” in mind. Unfortunately it left me more uncomfortable 95% of the time. I now would rather plan on the worse case, being the worse case and just suck it up, “when” and “if” that time comes...

2) I’d be as open as possible. Our body shapes are all pretty different that that is ultimately why there isn’t just one top their pack company. At this level there all good, having differences of course, but body shape/fit will be the determining factor... We argue over which one is best for the fun of it

3) To some degree... but it’s probably more like you’ll get broken into the pack !!

4) You shouldn’t have any issues with any of the above company’s. They all understand the process better the we do... I will add that MR, EXO, Seek Outside, and Stone glacier will usually be much quicker in getting the pack to you as Kifaru is made to order. I would suggest putting in order for the Kifaru first then work on getting your hands on the others you want to try... All have good customer service and return policy’s

Last edited:
I have owned Kifaru, Exo and Stone Glacier and stayed with the Stone glacier and sold the other two packs. All are good, but for me SG met all my needs and should be noted I thought SG customer service was at the top of the pile. SG integrated load shelf makes it cake to train with it.