who is ramping up the training using a stairmaster

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Down to 2 weeks before i get my knee injections:)

I like to compare a prior years training results to see how father time is Fing me over! On pace to be equal or better than last year 20 minute dash on stairmaster or as Ryan calls it the stairmaster from hell..after i am done you can swim in the puddle:)

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
60 minutes is like an eternity on that machine no doubt you are ready to hammer some uphill Shaun

cleatus

FNG
I am a believer in the machine from hell. But now I kinda feel like a sissy after seeing you guys times and levels. Level 10 for 30 min whips me.

TEmbry

WKR
Holy Hell Shaun... That's one intense workout! I couldn't come close to that but I do love the stair master for sure

Buster

WKR
No stair master for me, but I do get the opportunity to run stairs to the roof of the shop at work. 108 steps to the top, trying to average 1000 steps a day (skipping every other step, so 500 steps I guess, but still gaining the elevation). Running them in steel toed boots sucks, but being able to do it on work time is a fair tradeoff. The stair master is probably better on the knees tho.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buster that will get you ready for sure and even better on work time......gunning for 300 floors in 60 nothing like some friendly competition to ramp it up...

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the push Shaun, I think as i need to drink a gallon of water now, but it will serve me well in the coming weeks.

..after i am done you can swim in the puddle:)

I hear you on that... my stair machine is in the "womens" section of the gym. Sometimes I have to make multiple trips to the wipe dispenser just to soak up the sweat. I feel bad for those girls.

I can't do more than about five minutes on the stairmaster, it's just too boring. However, I have some stadium steps close by and I live in a town full of hills.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks to be the following;

Floors - Displays the equivalent number of floors climbed with an 8-inch step.
There are 16 steps per floor, and 48 floors per mile.

njdoxie

WKR
I do it for 90 minutes with a 40 lb pack, at 40 spm, 50 spm and then intervals at 162 spm...... twice a week.....I also do a 2.5 hour hike with 63 lb pack on weekend....I also do real stairs twice a week....and I'm always trying to go faster/longer......and yet I'm never happy with my shape, wish I could go much faster.....elk hunting still wears me out

I should start working on the stairmaster, I think it will help me mentally prepare for the long climbs to glassing positions and hopefully the heavy loads on the way out.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I do the stair master at times, but I tend to get a sore back after 20 min. If I'm doing cardio in the gym I still like using the treadmill on 15 degrees incline for 45 min.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Ah yes, the Sweatmaster!

Probably the most evil machine in the gym. Calories per hour, I am not aware of anything that beats it.

I like it because much like the treadmill, if you sandbag it, you are punished by falling off. (vs elliptical or bike, etc)

Even if you are delusional enough to think the ladies are checking you out, this machine will fix that. The only reason they might be looking your way now is in disgust.

Last edited:

JasonWi

WKR
My gym just got 3 of these. I've used it the past few days, it's brutal! I think it's going to become a great asset in my training.