who is ramping up the training using a stairmaster

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
I just started it yesterday after never having tried one. It is ... interesting. I just did the "quick program" for 20 minutes but while I can see it being effective I can also see it being terribly terribly boring.

bz_711

WKR
If I could only have one piece of equipment to train year round for mountain hunting it would be the stairmill...everything else can be done with running and body weight exercises...but if you live in the Prairie State, stadium bleachers just don't keep going up long enough.

Only had 25 min today at lunch...set it on 114spm. Been working my way up each week by 1spm with goal to be at 115spm next week before leaving to elk hunt...typically go for 30 min during lunch break.

Attachments

• IMG_20140911_122740_253[1].jpg
    IMG_20140911_122740_253[1].jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 74

JasonWi

WKR
After returning from a backpack elk hunt I could really tell the improvement from using this machine over the past few weeks. I was back at it again today, darn machine kicked my butt! 95 floors/1504 steps in 20 min. I need to keep working on my speed & duration but I'm eventually hoping to reach 45 min on it.

The revolving stairs has helped me a lot this past year. I have noticed a big difference and I feel very comfortable going up hills now. I do other types of training in the gym and change it up now and then but I contribute the revolving stairs to be one of the best exercises for me. It would be awesome to just be able to go up in the mountains every day and that would probably be the best exercise or real conditions but I can't do that every day very easy. Most of the trails with hills out by me close at sunset and I can't go before sunrise very easy which leaves me with the little options once it starts to get dark early. The stairs give me some sort of real feel to actual hiking that I'm able to do every day. It can get a little boring in the gym but with some good music and putting my mind in a different place, it helps make the time go by easier.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone spending fun time on this machine this summer...down to the count down and on same pace as last year but can definitely feel all bulls I have packed at the end of 60 minutes :)

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I am actually ramping down my workouts at the gym since I am only 1 month away from my first hunt. More in maintenance mode right now except for 70lb pack hikes twice a week. I feel its better to have the pack and boots on the ground this time of year. And a lot more fun!!

Had the Spot set on tracking mode for this mornings hike..

Enjoyed reading all these, I have been using the stairmaster for a few weeks now and was unsure of the benefits of it related to backpacking. I will start ramping up my time on it instead of running.

I'm not like some of you beast mode guys but I do 20 minutes, level 6, 3 times a week prior to my weight lifting workout. It has really improved the strength and flexibility in my artificial knees and my quads are actually coming back!

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I like the interval program on the one at our gym. 2 minutes on and 2 minutes off. Right now running at level 15 on and level 10 off for 30 minutes. Typically 2 days a week after my leg workout. Definitely an a** kicker!

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing better indoors is real stairs because you can go down too (helps season knees and ankles a bit) and you don't have to leave the office to do it. I get in a lot of vert and avoid a lot of work at the same time.