Who served and when?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I joined the Navy prior to graduation from high school, 1968, I was on the 120 delay program. went to Great Lakes for boot camp, march, class, march, class and march some more. I kept thinking just how much marching will I do one I get on board a ship. I got my dummy orders during week five for the USS New Jersey but when my final orders came out, it read Little Rock, I was thinking, I didn't know the Navy had a base in Little Rock. One of the guys in my division said, keep reading, it's USS Little Rock, you my friend are going to the Med. I arrived in Naples Italy in Mid. Oct. and had to hang out there for a week until the boat return to port in Gaeta . Arrived in Gaeta and went directly to my ship. I was assigned to "A "division and requests a position working as a A/C mech. which to my surprise I got. At the time the Rock was the flagship for the sixth fleet. I spent the next 22 months going from port to port all over the Med. and North Atlantic during that time I took leave twice to return home. On one leave I went with a friend to his family home for a few days. He asked if I wanted to go to a outdoor concert, I said why not. I'm sure a few of you have heard of Woodstock. After I return to the ship we finished out our tour as flagship and return to the states and the ship under went dry dock upgrades. During that time I went down to Norfork and went to ACR school for 12 weeks. I returned to the ship and we made a trip to the Virgin Islands, 6 months. Returned to Boston, then another tour of the Med. Then back to Norfork, That is where I got discharged. I spent my entire time on the Rock, I'm not sure why I never got transfer orders but, I did see lots of guys come and go when the were transferred to new duty station. At one point I got orders to a ship off the coast of Viet Nam but they got cancelled, why I don't know. Looking back on it, it was a very interesting time of my young life. I saw a lot and learned a trade which carried me though my life. To this day I still enjoy going out to sea, I find it very relaxing.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
1998 to present…and still going. 3d best decision I’ve made in life was to serve in uniform and I still love it even after 23 years. 4x combat tours, 12 PCSs, and a chance to make a difference every day. Sometimes it gets in the way of normal life (like stepping on hunting season!!), but I wouldn’t trade the experiences I’ve had for anything.

Air Force - 2003 to 2013

Two different jobs, started with Logistics and ended with a few years of being a Paralegal. That end took me out into the civilian world with a great job and have only moved up from there. Great experience and set me up for future success.

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thanks to all fellow Vets. for your service and sacrifice and, thanks to your family for their sacrifice.

Big Bend of Florida 12 miles to the Boat Ramp
1973 to 1975 Army 3rd Bn 16th field Arty. 8 inch self propelled. 63 foxtrot 20.
Volunteered for Nam and missed the fun by a couple months. Riffed out after 2 1/2 years guarding the Motorpool cause the Army was full and the war was over.
Peacetime Army is kinda boring
Our Battalion was full of Draftees and it was not a good time to be there.

SWOHTR

WKR
Navy, 2011-present. I’m an 1110/SWO LCDR. Just got bonged off USS DEWEY (DDG 105) today. Wrapped up 21 months as CHENG. Next tour is USS CHOSIN as CHENG.

I have a soft spot in my heart for snipes. Topsiders are just ship riders…