Who’s reached a half a mill?

tdhanses

WKR
All you folks with older diesels shouldn't expect any of the newer diesels to last anything like the older versions. The new emissions stuff kills the long term reliability. Now days if you want long term reliability, get a 3/4 Truck, gasser, and treat it like a 1/2 ton truck. That thing will run forever, regardless of the mfr.
There are a few newer diesels used by hotshots with over 500k, i remember there was a 2011 duramax close to 1 million. Who knows what all the issues are they have had but the motors seem to last.

Here’s a 2015 with over 1 million km.

Last edited:

Mtnboy

WKR
All you folks with older diesels shouldn't expect any of the newer diesels to last anything like the older versions. The new emissions stuff kills the long term reliability. Now days if you want long term reliability, get a 3/4 Truck, gasser, and treat it like a 1/2 ton truck. That thing will run forever, regardless of the mfr.
Definitely not saying you're wrong, cause I agree with you... but it also seems to depend on how you use it. People who are doing "diesel stuff" like super long road trips or towing frequently seem to have better luck than those who are daily driving diesels around the city for running errands, short trips etc.

I'm installing a Delete on my 2017 Cummins this weekend, hoping that'll help me get some long term mileage out of it.

tdhanses

WKR
Definitely not saying you're wrong, cause I agree with you... but it also seems to depend on how you use it. People who are doing "diesel stuff" like super long road trips or towing frequently seem to have better luck than those who are daily driving diesels around the city for running errands, short trips etc.

I'm installing a Delete on my 2017 Cummins this weekend, hoping that'll help me get some long term mileage out of it.
But even the short trips for daily drivers prior to emissions didn’t last long, a diesel needs to work.

My 2003 Cummins needed injectors at 233k, my brothers 06 needed them at 180k and my buddies 05 got them at around 200k, all three had tranny issues at some point prior, around the 130-150k mark.

I don’t think emissions will ruin motors from lasting but just add another possible replacement item like a transmission, hubs, axles, transfer cases etc.

They also add the added headache when the emissions has issues since it’ll put you in limp mode but there are plenty of high mileage emissions intact vehicles.

Seems like many just assume they won’t last before there was really any time to verify if they would, now we see plenty of 2010+ with 250k+ miles on them. Also doesn’t seem like injector failures are happening on these as many have original injectors, probably due to better filtration.

I have a 2021 GMC 1500 with the 3.0 diesel, it’ll be interesting to see if it falls apart at 100k or goes to 250k+, so far in a year i’ve put 21k on it without issue.

Last edited:

260madman

WKR
I live in the rust belt so that’s a rarity. My mother’s Buick LeSabre had 340k before it was parked. We have 4 freightliners with 800k to 1.2million on them. Those will be gone in a week.

CorbLand

WKR
Almost 300k on my ‘03 Cummins. The engine’s been great…wish I could say the same about the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bigger question with Dodge is what will cost you more rusted quarter panels or front end replacements?

I have an 01 Tundra with 193 on it.

The bigger question with Dodge is what will cost you more rusted quarter panels or front end replacements?

I have an 01 Tundra with 193 on it.

So far so good, that might have something to do with me getting it heavily under coded prior to driving it off the lot. I did get the front end totally rebuilt at just over 200,000 miles though.
8ae9cc33d0d1db836fd17b858140a3d2.jpg

988a53fb2a7372de524b294cd7109070.jpg

CorbLand

WKR
So far so good, that might have something to do with me getting it heavily under coded prior to driving it off the lot. I did get the front end totally rebuilt at just over 200,000 miles though.
8ae9cc33d0d1db836fd17b858140a3d2.jpg

988a53fb2a7372de524b294cd7109070.jpg

Thats pretty impressive to get 200,000 out of a front end.

Around here Dodges seem to rust before the first oil change.

CoStick

WKR
My mechanic feels 400k just getting a Toyota broken in. Historically I get rid of them sooner as the seats wear out.

Which transmission do you have? NV4500? What went wrong with it?

Well, originally it was a 48RE but I’m on my third one now so I don’t really know (pretty sure it’s a rebuilt 48RE). The minute I drove this truck off the lot I was second-guessing myself on getting an automatic transmission, but I allowed the sales person to talk me into it, and I’ve kicked myself ever since. These new redesigned transmissions are as good as Allison‘s they said.
Oh, I keep loosing second gear.

Last edited:
Thats pretty impressive to get 200,000 out of a front end.

Around here Dodges seem to rust before the first oil change.

There is a bit of rust on the tailgate, and it just so happens that, that is the only area I’ve had any body work done. I put a dent in the tailgate back in 2011, with a mishap using a hi-lift jack, got it repaired, and now I’m having rust issues there. Still not too bad I guess, for a truck that’s almost 20 years old and has lived it’s whole life in Alaska.
06e09c2070f632e99829ce90344d823d.jpg

But even the short trips for daily drivers prior to emissions didn’t last long, a diesel needs to work.

My 2003 Cummins needed injectors at 233k, my brothers 06 needed them at 180k and my buddies 05 got them at around 200k, all three had tranny issues at some point prior, around the 130-150k mark.

I don’t think emissions will ruin motors from lasting but just add another possible replacement item like a transmission, hubs, axles, transfer cases etc.

They also add the added headache when the emissions has issues since it’ll put you in limp mode but there are plenty of high mileage emissions intact vehicles.

Seems like many just assume they won’t last before there was really any time to verify if they would, now we see plenty of 2010+ with 250k+ miles on them. Also doesn’t seem like injector failures are happening on these as many have original injectors, probably due to better filtration.

I have a 2021 GMC 1500 with the 3.0 diesel, it’ll be interesting to see if it falls apart at 100k or goes to 250k+, so far in a year i’ve put 21k on it without issue.
I’ve been in a Ford F-250 for 20 years. I hate Chevy but own two.. avalanche and suburban(both where/are wife’s). I have always hated Chevy. This year I decide it’s time to go to a 1/2 ton. That 3.0 has caught my attention. I’m at 200k on my current 15 f250 6.7. Think I’m out at 250k unless I get mad.

That 3.0 seems to be good compromise for ride, power and mpg, and you can get 6.5 ft bed.

I hope yours is a keeper,

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve been in a Ford F-250 for 20 years. I hate Chevy but own two.. avalanche and suburban(both where/are wife’s). I have always hated Chevy. This year I decide it’s time to go to a 1/2 ton. That 3.0 has caught my attention. I’m at 200k on my current 15 f250 6.7. Think I’m out at 250k unless I get mad.

That 3.0 seems to be good compromise for ride, power and mpg, and you can get 6.5 ft bed.

I hope yours is a keeper,
I’ve been extremely pleased with mine, it’s no speed demon but it has plenty of power and amazing fuel mileage. It’ll tow way more then you should without issue as far as power, you’ll feel the weight though.