Who’s running a quilt during late season?

Ope

FNG
The Zenbivy looks nice, is there anything similar that's US made?

I had a 0 degree quilt, it had enough loft/down to be suitable to 0; but I found that a draft at 0 degrees is not the same as a draft at 30 degrees.

I've kept the quilts that I have that are 20 degrees and plus, but went back to bags for under 20 degrees- a few extra ounces I've found are worth carrying when temps are cold, ymmv
This has been my experience. Especially in a floorless shelter.

vtbow

FNG
I've been considering trying my brooks mountaineering 20 degree quilt in some colder weather with my exped mat, but I've had the same concerns many have mentioned as dark as draft goes. Following

Dobermann

WKR
Absolutely.

View attachment 387358

Most that I hunt with now are also using them, those that aren’t are planning to. Used it all last year and this winter- which puts me at 120-130’ish night of use from 50° to well below zero. It’s the most comfortable sleeping system I have used.

Light Bed 10°, XL.
Thanks Form.

And I think you said in another thread that, based on your body size "XL Zenbivy and wouldn’t go smaller, though Large would work" ... do you still see Large as viable, or just XL for the Zenbivy design/fit?

What does the XL give you, in practical terms? Is it merely "room to move" or something more? What would be the likely sacrifices of the Large?

(Apologies if these seem like odd questions - context for me is that the Zenbivy site seems to say they're the same dimensions, which clearly doesn't make sense; I also can't just rock into a store to check them out.)

This is all really interesting. The zenbivy definitely is clever but I wouldn’t have thought to give it the time of day - I had written it off as an over-engineered and too-heavy gimmick after seeing ads on Instagram of all places. Using duck down and made in China - doesn’t strike me as a premium product at first glance.

But there’s no substitute for use in the field, and obviously a product with duck down that is made overseas can in theory perform very well. I appreciate the testimonials from zenbivy users.

I love the idea of the zenbiby but man is it heavy for the XL
I haven't been able to sleep well in the woods for as long as I can remember - even when I was a kid. Ultimately I have to decide how much I'm willing to carry to (hopefully) finally be able to get a good night's sleep. Some guys don't have the same struggle and can scoff at the extra weight, but I would gladly add a pound or two to my sleeping system to get better rest at the end of the day.

The million dollar question is whether the zenbivy is worth it - if it is I'd buy it in a heartbeat and carry the weight with a smile. Some pretty strong testimonials here but I am still really struggling to understand what it accomplishes that a long, extra wide quilt does not. After all, people here have said in the past that an extra large quilt was the secret sauce for good sleep in the backcountry and it seems to me that wrapping up in a big quilt would be very comfortable compared to my experiences with mummy bags.

The million dollar question is whether the zenbivy is worth it - if it is I'd buy it in a heartbeat and carry the weight with a smile. Some pretty strong testimonials here but I am still really struggling to understand what it accomplishes that a long, extra wide quilt does not. After all, people here have said in the past that an extra large quilt was the secret sauce for good sleep in the backcountry and it seems to me that wrapping up in a big quilt would be very comfortable compared to my experiences with mummy bags.
I agree, its something i wish i could test out before buying.. I think what sets it apart is the sheet and the hood, makes it kind of have all the warmth attributes of a mummy bag but the comfort of a quilt.

Dobermann

WKR
I haven't been able to sleep well in the woods for as long as I can remember - even when I was a kid. Ultimately I have to decide how much I'm willing to carry to (hopefully) finally be able to get a good night's sleep. Some guys don't have the same struggle and can scoff at the extra weight, but I would gladly add a pound or two to my sleeping system to get better rest at the end of the day.
In that case, have you seen the Helinox Lite Cot?

At 2lb, 12 oz, not sure it's worth the weight to me personally to carry it, but boy do I sleep well on that thing ...

First I've heard of the ZenBivy. Their "bed" looks a lot like my set-up: Thermarest Xtherm Max, Thermarest Synergy Sheet, 0 deg EE quilt.

The synergy sheets are on sale if anyone's interested.