Who’s running a quilt during late season?

First I've heard of the ZenBivy. Their "bed" looks a lot like my set-up: Thermarest Xtherm Max, Thermarest Synergy Sheet, 0 deg EE quilt.

The synergy sheets are on sale if anyone's interested.

The difference with the zenbivy is the hood. The synergy sheet looks nice i wonder what it adds for R value

twall13

WKR
Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
I had a 0 degree quilt, it had enough loft/down to be suitable to 0; but I found that a draft at 0 degrees is not the same as a draft at 30 degrees.

I've kept the quilts that I have that are 20 degrees and plus, but went back to bags for under 20 degrees- a few extra ounces I've found are worth carrying when temps are cold, ymmv
That has been my exact experience with my 0 degree quilt. Even with the long/wide, it just isn't the same as a mummy bag, regardless of what guys will tell ya!

Hunter6

WKR
That has been my exact experience with my 0 degree quilt. Even with the long/wide, it just isn't the same as a mummy bag, regardless of what guys will tell ya!

Same here. I just sold my 10 degree quilt because I’m an active sleeper and would get a draft in a wide quilt because I would flop at night. It’s hard to go back to sleep when you let in 15 degree air.

If you are not that active of a sleeper the quilt it’s the way to go. Just like everything nothing is one size fits all.

I still have a quilt for summer and early season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark33

WKR
I tried a quilt for one hunt, it was 10 degree rated. I toss and turn to much and would constantly lose any warmth I built up in it. Was one of the coldest nights I spent in the woods. It was low 20s that night.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks Form.

And I think you said in another thread that, based on your body size "XL Zenbivy and wouldn’t go smaller, though Large would work" ... do you still see Large as viable, or just XL for the Zenbivy design/fit?

What does the XL give you, in practical terms? Is it merely "room to move" or something more? What would be the likely sacrifices of the Large?

Late reply, but- the XL gives noticeably more room around the hips and shoulders.

The million dollar question is whether the zenbivy is worth it - if it is I'd buy it in a heartbeat and carry the weight with a smile. Some pretty strong testimonials here but I am still really struggling to understand what it accomplishes that a long, extra wide quilt does not.

Totally removes possibility of drafts, does not slide off of pad.

After all, people here have said in the past that an extra large quilt was the secret sauce for good sleep in the backcountry and it seems to me that wrapping up in a big quilt would be very comfortable compared to my experiences with mummy bags.

Compared to a mummy bag, yes. If weight is the number one criteria, a quilt is the answer. However, all around comfort the Zen Bivy has everything beat.

to each their own. for cold weather the weight difference between a high end 20 degree sleeping bag a 10 or 15 degree quilt is only a few ounces. And the pad attachments are annoying not to mention their is no hood. I do use a 40 degree quilt for early season though.

to each their own. for cold weather the weight difference between a high end 20 degree sleeping bag a 10 or 15 degree quilt is only a few ounces. And the pad attachments are annoying not to mention their is no hood. I do use a 40 degree quilt for early season though.
Depends how you sleep too. I’m a stomach sleeper and typically end up with one knee kicked out to the side so mummy bags never worked well for me. I find a quilt to be perfect because I can tuck it in around me and don’t feel as restricted so I’d run one even if there wasn’t a weight savings. I had goosefeet gear make me a down hood that weighs about 2.5 oz so that solves my lack of hood problem. In super cold weather I layer a 50 degree synthetic over my 20 degree down quilt which I saw recommended for cold weather backpacking and has worked really well for me even though it’s not as light as just getting a zero degree quilt (or mummy bag for that matter). I prefer the modularity of that system and am finally really happy with my sleep setup

Depends how you sleep too. I’m a stomach sleeper and typically end up with one knee kicked out to the side so mummy bags never worked well for me. I find a quilt to be perfect because I can tuck it in around me and don’t feel as restricted so I’d run one even if there wasn’t a weight savings. I had goosefeet gear make me a down hood that weighs about 2.5 oz so that solves my lack of hood problem. In super cold weather I layer a 50 degree synthetic over my 20 degree down quilt which I saw recommended for cold weather backpacking and has worked really well for me even though it’s not as light as just getting a zero degree quilt (or mummy bag for that matter). I prefer the modularity of that system and am finally really happy with my sleep setup

I love hearing all of our different styles. This makes a lot of sense. You figured out a system that works for you and ultimately if you are sleeping well that's all that matters.

Very timely thread as I’m personally at the paralysis-from-analysis point!

Could those that have run quilts can you elaborate a further on the following topics:

1. Quilt dimensions and body dimensions.
2. Sewn or zipper foot box and efficacy.
3. Pad straps or zipper. Pad strap type.
4. Quilt temp rating and temp ranges experienced.

Am considering the Enlightened Equipment Conundrum versus the Convert if it helps.

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Conundrum all the way. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/bag-dilemma.221974/#post-2174947