Why do you reload?

I'm curious about this because I feel that I have a dilemma. I have invested about $1000 in reloading equipment and components over the past year but have not set any of it up or started using any of it. I do not shoot a lot and my comfortable range on an animal is 300 yards or less. I am a bowhunter first and like to be as close as I possibly can for both ethical reasons and personal challenge reasons. I purchased my reloading setup over the course of a year because I am a DIY type of person. I guess it goes with the territory of hunting for my own meat, growing a garden, building my own bows, etc. I have a few friends who reload and that is where I got the bug.

However, I have a small archery business that I am expanding and I am considering selling my reloading equipment and components to fund my growing archery business. My biggest concern is that I'm 43 and can retire in 12 years. Will I regret selling my reload components in 20 years when drawing a bow is more difficult and I have more time to spend on reloading as a hobby? I also have two teenage sons who may want to reload or I can reload for. Maybe I'll shoot guns more when I'm older and hopefully the climate for purchasing ammo and reloading supplies will be better between now and then. I just prefer to shoot arrows more because I can pull them from the target and shoot them over and over. I would only be reloading for .223 Rem, 6.5 CM, 7/08 Rem, possibly 9mm Luger and .380 ACP. No magnums, no long range stuff, just want to fill the freezer and the l closer I can get the better. Thoughts?

I got into it to save money on 300 Weatherby shells. Which is hilarious now considering how much I've spent on reloading equipment. But I've been doing it for nearly 20 years - and I'm still an amateur. It's fun developing a load for your gun, finding the best powder, seating depth. I love having a load dialed for a gun but it doesn't always happen - I've had guns I'm never happy with. And it's kind of a bummer to pick up a box of factory ammo that immediately shoots just as well or better after so much work. I'm a lot like you - no long range, don't shoot a ton. I like to tinker though, build my own arrows, tie my own flies, do my own butchering, etc. But I wouldn't worry about something 12 years down the road, if you're not into it or don't have time sell it IMO. You'll always be able to start over. Also when I got started you could just run to the store and buy whatever you needed, at the time if I had this hard of time getting things I probably would said forget it. Hell, if things stay stupid like this I may just bowhunt too!

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Accuracy and consistency is why I do it. Building bullets specifically to shoot from one rifle for one reason. The reward of seeing hole in hole groups on a target at 100-200yds is satisfying to me. It’s calming for me to work at the bench and lose track of time focusing my attention on detail oriented operations, it’s like an escape from other life stresses for a time. A guy can save a few cents and group better over factory ammo in most situations, the only drawback is the time input to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
coyotecreek
Accuracy and consistency is why I do it. Building bullets specifically to shoot from one rifle for one reason. The reward of seeing hole in hole groups on a target at 100-200yds is satisfying to me. It’s calming for me to work at the bench and lose track of time focusing my attention on detail oriented operations, it’s like an escape from other life stresses for a time. A guy can save a few cents and group better over factory ammo in most situations, the only drawback is the time input to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm not looking to save money by any means. I enjoy the detailed tasks, that's why I build recurves and arrows, etc. I can see me wanting more of this as I retire though too.

Hoghead

WKR
I got into it so I could load down my bullets so they wouldn't blow through a hog and hit one of my dogs. Now I still do it for that reason but ammo is out of control prices right now. I have built up componet stock over the years and when I need more bullets I make them and don't pay inflated prices. I buy components on sale or a little here and there saves me money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
Being from CA, I got into reloading to give myself more mono bullet options since we can't buy ammo online. We are stuck with what the local gun stores have in stock, which they were marking up 50% to 100% before the ammo shortage.

Now that I have been doing it for over a year, I love the accuracy and increased velocity. Plus testing out the ammo and forced me to shoot more vastly improving my skills. 400 yards use to be my limit and now I am comfortable to hit steel at 800y all day.

In all honesty I got suckered into GAPs marketing of the 6.5 SAUM and had to have one but wasn’t going to pay someone to custom load ammo for it.

Now days it’s to be able to load exactly what I want. High performance ammo for much cheaper than what high end factory ammo costs.

The freedom to know I can load thousands of rounds with the components I have on hand now and not have to search for non existent ammo online or in stores.

Last edited:

Bojo34

FNG
Got into reloading because I have a 7x57 that my father had made for me when I was a teenager and now extremely difficult to find factory ammo. Lots of sentimental value and a great cartridge, couldn't bear to part with it so got into reloading. Originally intended to just reload for that rifle but after getting into it now reload for all of my rifles and really enjoy the process. It has become one of my favorite hobbies now that I'm semi-retired.

Will also pass along that when my father passed I sold all of his reloading equipment as both my brother and I had kids at home and didn't foresee ever having time to reload ourselves. Five or six years later I went out and bought all that same equipment! Regret not hanging onto it. So, my counsel would be unless you could really use the money, hang onto that equipment as it really is a fun hobby once you have some time for it.

Billinsd

WKR
Because factory ammo is not very consistent. I can reload very precision ammo myself. I only do this for my hunting rifle and I don't enjoy doing it much, but do get satisfaction.

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got into it because factory ammo is literally impossible to find around me, or requires waiting in a line for an hour at the store just to gat a box or 2. I just want to shoot freely and not worry about rationing ammo in times like these.
So far I have avoided paying completely ridiculous prices, though have paid more than retail but to a degree that is not totally disgusting.

At current ammo prices, even after paying inflated primer and powder prices I can reload 38 Special for $0.31 a round, or half price compared to 'normal' ammo pricing or about a quarter to 1/6th of the price for today's inflated prices.
(Although that does not include annuitized costs of the press, cleaner, etc, so my first 1000 rounds will actually cost about the same as today's retail, but then its .30 after that)

archp625

WKR
I bought it initially to save money. I think the initial start up cost so much that it takes years to break even. Then I later realize that I can make ammo that works the best for my rifle and its super precise. Then I realized I can load a ton of ammo so I can shoot more and become more accurate. Now I am glad I did because of the great ammo and component shortage.

CCooper

WKR
Something to do in the late winter/ early spring months when hunting is done and the fish aren't running. It saves me zero $, but I sure enjoy doing it and the end product.

wyosam

WKR
Originally I thought I might save some money, but mostly I wanted to shoot more, and I enjoy doing everything myself. It is really satisfying watching the groups shrink as you develop a load, and even more so when taking game with my own load and seeing it perform exactly as intended. As far as the money savings, I think if right now I decided I am happy with all my current equipment and the cartridges I currently load for, and I shot about 1000 rounds a week for the next 30 years, I would probably break even. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
For me it was a few things, trying to find the most accurate load for a weapon, experimenting with different bullets, but mostly it's a way for me to spend more time doing things that I enjoy. I feel like as a reloader you shoot a lot more, and you spend time at the bench doing 2A related stuff. It just seems like a natural progression for anybody that enjoys shooting sports.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
I got into for two reasons.

1st reason - When I decided to only hunt with copper bullets about 10 years ago there were not factory copper ammo available for the 35 Whelen which I elk hunt with, so I started reloading.

2nd reason - I like to tinker and I find reloading to be enjoyable.

Definitely have not saved any money by reloading. But I do have fun doing it and enjoy the technical aspects of shooting groups, measuring velocity, etc. I feel like I know my rifles ways better just from shooting and experimenting with handloads.

JakeSCH

WKR
So I can still shoot when ammo is sold out...oh wait...damnit...

Make a trip down to San Diego...a local store down here has everything you need in stock, just $$. I picked up more ADG brass in 6.5 PRC, 215M's, RL26, H1000, bullets, etc this morning.

He actually has quite a bit of 6.5 SAUM, 7SAUM, 300 PRC, 28 NOS ADG brass.

I do it because I really enjoy it and I like working up a special load for each of my rifles. When I get a load with superb accuracy using a great bullet I am very happy with that. I use those loads when hunting game and there is a special additional bond when you harvest animals with something that you built and put together. I imagine it's similar to a person who ties flies or makes their own lures and then catches fish with them. It just enhances the experience. I have NOT shot an animal with a factory rifle load since 1972 which was the last time.

OP
coyotecreek
I do it because I really enjoy it and I like working up a special load for each of my rifles. When I get a load with superb accuracy using a great bullet I am very happy with that. I use those loads when hunting game and there is a special additional bond when you harvest animals with something that you built and put together. I imagine it's similar to a person who ties flies or makes their own lures and then catches fish with them. It just enhances the experience. I have NOT shot an animal with a factory rifle load since 1972 which was the last time.
I definitely understand this. I've shot deer with bows that I've made, as well as arrows, strings, silencers, quiver's etc. You all have me leaning towards just hanging on to everything and putting it to use once I get time. It might be a few months or a few years, but everything will be there when I need it. Thanks for the responses. It's been fun to hear about everyone's journey into reloading.