Why do you reload?

excaliber

WKR
I reload to save money. I want consistency from cartridge to cartridge. I do it to make the most accurate load with the most speed possible. Speed and accuracy is a deadly combo.

I'm new to reloading, and it's definitely not been the greatest time to pick it up as a hobby, as I'm only part way through piecing together the gear (building my own 'kit'), and I'm in the same boat as everyone else on powder/primers.
I'm getting into it because I'm a nerd for processes. Additional benefits are going to be having an easier time tuning up ammo for my 1:11" Tikka and not having to rely on getting a factory box of what it likes to eat. It also gives me bullet weight options that are rarely if ever available, so I can find what will work best for the animal I'm after, rather than what sells best on the shelf.

Saving money would be great, but imo, that's not a great reason to get into any hobby if your into it for better than factory results and great performance in the field. If I used math that didn't include time and equipment... that might help? I figure the only way I could really save money is to give up my outdoor life and all things associated with it, but that ain't much of a life.

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
Thing is... the reloading gear holds value in any case. I'd load up about 6-8 boxes for each gun THEN sell it off if you feel you'll never really get into it much.

I shoot for accuracy in hunting rifles and have my reloading gear my dad got me when I was 14 (still have some IMR powder in the cans too ;) But with 9mm selling for $1 a round... I am happy I have my reloader since I shoot pistol more than anything else.

I ALSO have some famer/rancher buddies that let me hunt their land SO I can load a box up for them when they ask as a reciprocal GIFT back for them being cool allowing my hunting rights. I also load shotgun and with ammo gone right now- I'm happy to have my stash and share it with those worthy folks who scratch my back.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I started reloading because a box of 300HH Is about 80-100bucks up here. And my favourite rifle just happens to be my Ruger no1 in the old super .30.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
338LM - factory ammo ~150 per 20 or 7.5 per round.

reloaded -
2 dollars for brass (reusable)
44.69 per 50, for ease of match $1 per bullet
primers 35 for 1k $.035
power - 260 per 8lbs or $0.40 (82.5gr per round)

so total per round reloaded is 3.43 and thats only for the firs time i can reload lapua brass 10 times if i anneal since i shoot a middle of the ground load so it brings it from 3.43 to $1.63 per round.

savings = $5.87 per round shooting 3-400 a year thats $2,054.50 in savings per year lol.

if all i shot was pistol or 556 i would not reload as its very slim margins there and if you include my time not worth ti. but since i have the setup and have since elevated to a full progressive with case and bullet feeder lol i just load 100/200 a day walking past the setup and its not bad. Its turned into a get away though my brotehrs 300 weatherby magnum is pissing me off... cant find a load worth a damn. had 2 .67 group with 82 and 82.5 grs of 7828 behind a 180tsx but the next day it was 2 inches, like EVERY other load every single one is 2 inches....

ldmay375

FNG
At first, I began reloading to save money. For many years, I got out of reloading due moving around frequently.
I was “forced” back into it, due to lack of availability of some of my less common cartridges, and several of the smaller companies that loaded these cartridges ceasing to ship to individuals in Alaska. Actually it was a blessing in disguise, I can now tune my loads for individual rifles.

Edit to add:
Cost is definitely a factor, once I got into the 375 and Above cartridges. Still not cheap, but doable.

Last edited:
I got into reloading like some others mentioned, because of the cost of weatherby ammo. The second reason was because I have experienced getting a rifle dialed in on factory ammo only to have it discontinued or impossible to find. Unfortunately its harder to find powder, primers and bullets now then ammo.

Unclecroc

FNG
I started reloading when I was 14 I’m 28 now, my great uncle showed me how and I’ve been hooked ever since. Now I appreciate reloading because I can custom taylor my loads to achieve the exact performance I want.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
For me consistency and accuracy. I’m a perfectionist.
Secondly the satisfaction of harvesting a moose or deer with a round I developed specifically for that firearm. Then catching trout with flies that I tied with the fur and feathers from game I harvester!
Doesn’t get more satisfying than that for me!