Why so light?

Kind of like asking, “ why fly first class instead of coach. You arrive at the same time no matter the seat you are in”. Well, that first class seat is a heck of a lot more comfortable than coach that’s why.

A “lightweight mtn rifle” will make those 15 mile, 4,000 ft+ daily elevation changes for 9 plus days a heck of a lot more enjoyable.

I would argue the “need” for one is significantly less than what sales or ownership demonstrate….but, your money your choice. Some people plan out a mountain hunt to the ounce, and they are wise to do so.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vinny

FNG
Anyone who is carrying 70lbs for 20+ miles in the course of a western hunt has made terrible decisions on multiple fronts.
You are correct, that was a poor example on my part!

I’ve never weighed my rifle. Bought it off the shelf, added a decent scope and sling. Changed the trigger pull and that’s it. I can shoot pretty dang good with it and doesn’t bother me to carry it in my hand, pack, or on my shoulder. I also don’t like those scopes that you can dial in for the exact yardage. Just learn to shoot your desired weapon at different ranges. Makes life so much easier and less expensive. I also don’t add all the crazy gadgets on my bow either. If I did that then it would weigh more than my rifle!

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
My current rifle is a touch under 8 lbs scoped sling on and full mag.
The 300wm I recently ordered is gonna probably end up over 12 lbs finished (maybe 13 if I get a can). I just want something I don’t mind shooting, I can deal with a little extra weight. I have other places still to cut weight that are much cheaper.

I think the real answer is to tell yourself that there is less gravity in the mtns so everything weighs less. I have a 7lb husky but prefer to carry my BAR at 8 lbs. I probably have more weight in my pacs than most of you flatlanders would tolerate. Let alone my hand gun and ammo belt.

I guess I have done it so long I just don't know any better.

Bighorse

WKR
Okay take 2# and lift it 1’ four thousand times…… that’s a Mt goat hunt. That’s the concept, having my rifle in hand, usually and 8+ iron ends up slung or strapped somewhere. Pleasure and ease of access matter when hunting. Yes, be in shape, and have your rifle at the ready. The being in shape part is for the stout meat sacks.

That 2lbs is a fifth of Jager! In all seriousness I would rather shave weight on my rifle and make up for it in a small creature comfort in my pack. There are some outstanding Mtn rifles out there these days.

Oregon

WKR
Grab a 5# dumbbell, put it in your right hand then go climb a mountain.
When done, grab a 10# dumbbell, put it in your right hand then go climb a mountain.

Yep, only a sane person would climb the next mountain with the 10# weight instead of the 5#. Yep. That makes perfect sense.

Rokbar

WKR
for me it is not so much about humping an extra couple of pounds, but having to set there and hold that extra weight while aiming off handed for an extra minute waiting on a better shot. But, I had rather pack an 8lb rifle over a 12 lber every day.

CorbLand

WKR
I understand your reasoning and I appreciate your comment. But when you have 70lbs on your back over 20+ miles, does a few extra pounds matter?
If you have a 70 pound pack, you should be cutting weight in a lot of places including your gun.

I never understood why someone would buy a Mclaren but I have rode in one, ****, they are nice. I wouldn’t buy one but I get why people do.

Pounds = pain

A pound or even a few ounces here and there add up.

Especially with a gun. They're carried a lot more than they're shot.

And I don't think I've weighed any of my guns... But I prefer to hunt with the ones that are lighter.

The phrase, "Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain" resounds with me. While I don't go absolutely nuts with it, I can definitely notice a difference over a long period of time FWIW.