Why Solo? Why Not?

Can I borrow him for a week?

Ha! He's my ex-military cousin. He is a squared away guy who enjoys his guns, but hasn't tried the archery thing yet. We're actually looking into a rifle hunt in the near future. Sitting in a tree stand for 13 hours is definitely not his deal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't mind the camping and the hiking with someone else around, but as soon as I get that bugle response.........I'm gone and they're on their own to either keep up, hang out and wait, or meet back at camp.

Pghhunter

FNG
For the solo guys. How many of yinz (you guys) carry an Inreach or other SAT device?

I could be solo this year. If I am I’ll be getting an InReach for peace of mind for the family back home.

For the solo guys. How many of yinz (you guys) carry an Inreach or other SAT device?

I could be solo this year. If I am I’ll be getting an InReach for peace of mind for the family back home.

I do carry a PLB for emergency, but no Inreach or anything like that and my phone is OFF if I have signal. Part of what I like about being solo is the solitude it provides, not gonna ruin that with gizmos and electronics.

Pghhunter

FNG
I agree. I hunt the mountains partly for the escape from the hustle and bustle of a city. IPhone is with me for OnX. However it’s in airplane mode the whole time.

If I’m with a partner no need. Spent 5 days in Wyoming last year with no service. But if I’m solo I want/need a way to communicate if something does go awry. I’ve looked into PLBs but need an InReach or other SAT device for communication with family back home. Part of the negotiation to leave in Sept for two weeks.

Like many here I enjoy both ways! Solo has its benefits but it does keep me from going too deep in many instances. Getting an elk out is more stressful but certainly can be done.

I enjoy the camaraderie of others no doubt, it really makes the hunt to call for others & share in their success. I enjoy that part of it these days more than filling a tag myself.

My Son is my only hunting partner & has been since he was old enough to hunt & before, he's 42 this year. We still team up & share calling in bulls for one another & others. Between those two ways I enjoy the tag team portion much more because of the back & forth sharing aspects. The packouts are more doable as well.

ElkNut/Paul

ElkNut!! Good post.

I have met you and your son a few times. Grandson too!. Class act and you have taken the time on more than one occasion to talk elk on the phone. (y)(y)

87TT

WKR
I enjoy my own company. Have been hunting solo since I chase lizards and snakes as a kid. I have hunted with others and a campfire with friends is great. But until I find someone to elk hunt with the same passion and drive, I'll be solo. Like what was said before, there is great satisfaction with getting it done by yourself.

I’ve helped 17 people get their first elk.
Can’t do that solo.
I too have seen a pile of first deer and elk, and I hunt with others a good amount.... after I fill my tags, or i'll just give up days when that's what it takes.... those days (which there are lots of them every year) i'm not trying to fill my own tag.... when i'm trying to kill something, i'm generally solo, because it's more effective to me

cjthomas2

FNG
I’ve always dreamed of elk hunting the rut but never could make it happen. This year I am finally going to make it happen and hopefully turn into a yearly hunt. With schedules, other hunts planned, family obligations it looks like I will be going at it alone. I know success rates are extremely low, especially being a newbie.

Does anyone have any suggestions on going at it alone for the first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I've never solo hunted elk. I've solo hunted WT plenty of times but that's not the same as camping out in the back country. I've put off an elk hunt simply due to the fact that I'd be solo and the task seemed to daunting. I have 2 buddies that are planning a trip with me 5 years from now but after joining this forum I've decided I'm going before then and getting the experience solo. Plus when they are ready I should have a good game plan and experience that I can be apart of their first elk hunt. I've taken a lot of people on their first whitetail hunt and there's nothing quite like seeing someone take their first WT.

I always have a partner. I definitely enjoy company in camp at night. But I’ve done my share of guiding so having a ball and chain doesn’t interest me at all. We might make the initial trip ip the mountain together. But before light I go my way and he goes his.

I’m all about killing my bull every year. But a big part of what motivates me is so I can get right to helping my partner kill his. None of my partners have nearly the experience that I do. My current partner killed his 1st bull last year. I enjoy teaching and I did enjoy guiding the clients who wanted to learn. So once I don’t have to think about getting my own elk on the ground I go right into guide mode and for some reason I hunt even harder.

Once everyone punches their tags.... 2-4 of them... having company in camp is a blast!

Before that keeping each other motivated is an important part of being partners.

Marble

WKR
I have the best of both with a "hunting" partner that doesn't hunt. He comes along just to enjoy the mountains and get time away from work. We split gas and the cost of things (tag is of course on me). He sleeps in and sticks around camp or goes for random hikes. I get up early and hunt solo and see him back at camp at night. If animals are down, he grabs a pack and heads out.
Whitetails are 100% solo
When I hunt with my dad and uncle, 70 and 74, this is how it goes. My dad still gets a tag, but he doesnt really care of he kills something.

Marble

WKR
I’ve always dreamed of elk hunting the rut but never could make it happen. This year I am finally going to make it happen and hopefully turn into a yearly hunt. With schedules, other hunts planned, family obligations it looks like I will be going at it alone. I know success rates are extremely low, especially being a newbie.

Does anyone have any suggestions on going at it alone for the first time?

Besides having realistic expectations...

I told myself I was not going to regret choosing to not chase a bull. I had the limit of my range planned out and I stuck to it. I also had made a decision that if a cow stepped out I wouldn't hesitate.

Know your capabilities.

cjthomas2

FNG
Besides having realistic expectations...

I told myself I was not going to regret choosing to not chase a bull. I had the limit of my range planned out and I stuck to it. I also had made a decision that if a cow stepped out I wouldn't hesitate.

Know your capabilities.

I am more than happy to take a cow or spike first time out. I contemplated getting an antlerless tag but then again I didn’t want to be limited if a bull did want to play. Not going to be picky just looking for a good shot if it’s given.

First time out I am looking to gain experience and learn for next year if anything.

Would you recommend hunting from a truck rather than backpacking?

I like the idea of going miles in but I feel like that might be a daunting feat first time out and not having everything figured out yet.

OP
trophyhill

I carry the Inreach and really like it for contact with the outside world when desired.

Tom already bought an Inreach Explorer. I’m about to. Our Alaska outfitter requires us to carry them. If you think you’ll only need it for this year one of us can lend you one. If you already have a gps and the SE will serve your purpose... don't need the Explorer, with the preloaded maps, I know a guy who has an SE used once like new in the box for $100.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I barely even carry a phone (flip phone), even in the off-season. So hunting, I carry my essentials.....which don't include an Inreach or SAT device. Heck, as crowded as the mountains are come hunting season (I'm sure you've read all about that), you'll have people crawling all around you all day long that can help in an emergency. ;)

87TT

WKR
I barely even carry a phone (flip phone), even in the off-season. So hunting, I carry my essentials.....which don't include an Inreach or SAT device. Heck, as crowded as the mountains are come hunting season (I'm sure you've read all about that), you'll have people crawling all around you all day long that can help in an emergency. ;)
I disagree. I hunt a very crowded unit and seldom see another hunter back in the woods. I have carried an InReach for years. Hardly ever use it but it rides in my bino harness. Don't use the text function very often if at all every year but it gives the wife peace of mind. I carry it in the car on rode trips. And I have a flip phone too. Never had a smart phone.